SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Pistols

Col Del Rio

I have heard/read about the "short stroke" pistols.  I'd like to hear from those who use them.  Please let me know if these are worth the cost.

:ph34r:  As mentioned, competency level dictates return on investment.  Personally, I'm not fast enough to justify the mod, but I have short, fat fingers and thumbs, so it just 'feels' better than standard hammer stroke.  And I enjoy machinery that is a pleasure to use. 

Try out some to see if it matters to you.

32177854_PiettaEleminatorAug2018.jpg.ede1acd59e9689e01bafbb77f0a713c6.jpg

I just have this one - Pietta Eleminator 8 45Colt.   I like the 60 Army grips and lowered hammer.  I don't think I even notice the short stroke.  I think, just opinion,  that the short stroke probably complicates the timing of the action.  I've heard comments that it requires a stronger hammer spring to get reliable primer detonation.  Maybe so.  I had to put in a stronger hammer spring to get reliable primer detonation. 

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

For Duelist or Gunfighter I say definitely. Two handed I can't speak to.

6 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I guess it depends how bad you want that buckle. If you a middle of the pack shooter no won’t help. If your always missing a 1st place finish by a less than a second go for it.

All the above post have good info.  These 2 post that I quoted were things I were thinking also.

Another consideration is your thumb mobility.   Sometimes, the good condition of someones hands

can determine the value of some of our modifications......not only pistols, but sometimes rifle and SG.

I shoot GF and love my low profile hammers and short stroke mods.

..........Widder

My gunsmith did the short-stroke as part of a package on my Rugers... The most important parts were the "Action Job"; ironing out the roughness, and making the gun feel "smoother" and easier to use, and putting in a half-cock to prevent the dreaded "Ruger-go-round".  The short-stroke part just makes the gun function easier - to me -.  Your mileage may vary.  It shaves a little bit of time... it's more like having an eight-cylinder vehicle vs. a six-cylinder while driving down the road.  Both will get you there, one can get there faster but other factors limit what you can do.

The factors that will get you down the road faster will be: practicing transitions, practice shotshell manipulation, smoothness of loading and shucking, keeping both hands moving at the same time, practicing target acquisition and breaking the shot, getting good CAS leather, and more... and as Doc Shapiro will tell you, practice the mental part of the game.  Then the bit of time saved by short-strokes will be beneficial. 

I had a pair that were short stroked. Didn’t help me at all as I shoot two handed and usually shoot 1860 conversions. If you have fat hands and the hammer is hitting the web of your hand, then I think this modification would be extremely advantageous. If you shoot gun fighter or dualist, I think there is an advantage.

but be aware, if not done properly, the hammer fall becomes extremely light and misfires with certain primers can be an issue.

20190727_071239.jpg.b3db26683dba37a0785ef409e9306666.jpg

I got a new SAA a few weeks ago and on cocking it the first time I noticed that the stroke was longer than my other two SAAs and longer than I recall any of the Uberti.   I got around to measuring the distance from the tip of the firing pin to the sight notch and found the new SAA was .15 longer. The back of the hammer spur touches the web of my hand when at full cock.

(If something looks odd,  the picture is flipped and screws are now on wrong side.)

One of the early smiths who short-stroked pistols was West Fargo (Wes Flowers). I'm lucky to have a pair he worked on that are easy to cock and never fail to pop Winchester primers. They originally had about 3/4 lb. triggers which made for interesting duelist stages at times. I had him put a few more pounds back on and I'm much happier. He is sorely missed. 

It depends on your hands.  I shoot gf and would never recommend them. 

With a short stroke the gun is cocked before the barrel is back level and its really easy to shoot too early and over the top.  

I already have to slow down to make sure the spotters hear 10 shots.  I don't want anything to slow me down any more

We have 3 set of short stoked lowered hammer Ruger's and a set of Taylor Running Irons. Love the short stroke as we both shoot duelist. The difference between the Rugers and the Taylor is quite different and very noticeable. Taylor takes heavier hammer springs for consistent ignition. For two handed shooter, just smooth the action and lighter springs are enough.

35 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

We have 3 set of short stoked lowered hammer Ruger's and a set of Taylor Running Irons. Love the short stroke as we both shoot duelist. The difference between the Rugers and the Taylor is quite different and very noticeable. Taylor takes heavier hammer springs for consistent ignition. For two handed shooter, just smooth the action and lighter springs are enough.

I operate the same way. Lassiter short stroked bisleys for duelist and full stroke plow handles for two handed. 

I have two set of short stroked Taylors/Uberti's.  I love them for Gunfighter.  Buuutttttt if I was shooting two handed, I'd stay with standard.  As mentioned earlier, you just can't do much with the short stroked springs.  Gotta pretty much leave the stock springs in them or you're going to have misfire problems.  If you're shooting two hands, rocking the hammer with your weak hand thumb, it isn't going to gain you anything.  With the short stroke gunfighter, I can reach the hammer with pull straight back with the short stroke without disrupting my sights.  

I’ve shot Duelist from day 1. Terribly upset with myself for waiting so long to get my pistols short stroked. Makes a world of difference to me. But let me go back and emphasize that it makes a difference TO ME. I can’t guarantee the difference is physical or that they just give me an added measure of confidence. Either way I’m 100% glad I had it done. Your mileage may vary. 

I have both new model Ruger plow handles and new model Ruger Bisleys that are short stroked. I shoot both Gunfighter and two handed with either model depending on the day. I like my short stroked pistols no matter what category I'm shooting.

I originally shot a set of Schofields. They have a pretty short hammer throw. So when I switched to Vaqueros I had them short stroked. It made them closer to what I was already used to.

I shoot gunfighter and have short thumbs.  My biggest improvement came from lowered hammers in both my Rugers and Colt clones.  Installing the lowered hammers in both types of pistol, however, caused the hammers to dig into the web of my hands between my thumbs and forefingers.  I shot alright like that, but hammers poking into my hands was annoying.  I am much happier with my pistols short stroked.  I didn't touch my two pair of original Colts - that would have been sacrilege.  

If I was still shooting two handed, and slip hammering a lot, I wouldn't have had anything short stroked.  My local smith charges about $125 a pistol to short stroke Rugers.  Make sure it's something you really want to do before you spend the money.

23 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I shoot gunfighter and have short thumbs.  My biggest improvement came from lowered hammers in both my Rugers and Colt clones.  Installing the lowered hammers in both types of pistol, however, caused the hammers to dig into the web of my hands between my thumbs and forefingers.  I shot alright like that, but hammers poking into my hands was annoying.  I am much happier with my pistols short stroked.  I didn't touch my two pair of original Colts - that would have been sacrilege.  

If I was still shooting two handed, and slip hammering a lot, I wouldn't have had anything short stroked.  My local smith charges about $125 a pistol to short stroke Rugers.  Make sure it's something you really want to do before you spend the money.

Shhhhh, don't let the secret out just yet :lol:

I'm kidding of course Curly Bill does excellent work.

I shoot gunfighter and hate the feel of short stroked hammers. Almost feels like I’m breaking my thumbs or something. I also have short thumbs, but I compensate by having full 45 colt cases of BP. The recoil brings the hammers right back into perfect position. 

I shoot two-handed and love my Lassiter short stroked NMV Bisleys.  

Worth the money.  God made man, Colt made him equal and Boogie made him competitive.

Here's to Boogie.

Archived