SASS Wire Forum

Rio Bravo - Harry Carey Jr?

I am sitting in Green Valley AZ watching Rio Bravo, miles away from Old Tucson Studios where it was filmed. In the opening credits, Harry Carey Jr is listed in the opening credits. Got his autobiography but didn’t get to that part yet. I heard he and Howard Hawkes has such a falling out that all of his movie time was left on the cutting room floor!  And yet as many times as I have seen this movie I haven’t ever noticed anything or anyone missing from the movie!  Have to ask and am sorry if it has been answered before but does anyone know anything about Harry’s part and what he did to get cut out of the movie?  Thanks!  

From IMDB:  Although Harry Carey Jr. was listed in the credits on-screen, he does not appear in the picture. Carey had a drinking problem at the time. He called director Howard Hawks "Howard" instead of "Mr. Hawks" on one of his first days on the set, infuriating Hawks. His contract, including his pay and his screen credit, was honored, but his part (a townsman) was cut.

Archived