SASS Wire Forum

*Grump!*

So on Tuesday, July 16, I ordered something from Midway, and popped for the "UPS 2nd Day Air" shipping.  Response said it'd be here Thursday, July 18.  By Friday, July 19, the tracking message was "Label Created.  Delivery July 18" or something to that effect.

Called Midway; they reported that it had shipped Tuesday, and they'd refund me the "UPS 2nd Day Air" fee and start a "search" with UPS.  If I didn't receive it by Tuesday, July 23, call 'em back.

Called 'em back; they created a new order and again sent it "UPS 2nd Day Air" at no charge to me.  Guaranteed deliver today, July 26, between 12:45 PM and 4:45 PM.  It's now approaching 5:30 PM.

It seems that UPS has this kinda neat new tracking thing - you can actually watch your parcel's progress on a constantly updating map.  So during the course of the day, I've watched as it entered my "area" this morning.  Since then, it's orbited to the south of me, north of me, east of me and west of me at least twice during the course of the day, been within two blocks of me multiple times - and even passed right past my front door!

According to their Magic Map, it's now outside my "area," a bunch of miles northeast of here, heading in a southeasterly direction.  The amended delivery time is "By End Of Day."

(The item is part of a wedding present, which I'd hoped to deliver a week ago.  Wrapping paper, tape, scissors, ribbon and bow are all laid out on the dining table, just waiting....)

Ah well....  silly.gif  

USPS flat rate priority has been the most reliable for me lately.

I'm waiting on UPS today with the same "by end of day" delivery... it's 7:00 pm...

(edit) :lol: Must have heard us talking! 7:04

UPS.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Fed Ex is a lot worse!!

13 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Fixed that for you :P

I'm afraid I have to agree.  I ordered some bedding from Bed Bath and Beyond.  A few days later, I received an email telling me it had been delivered.  I found a box at the GARAGE door, not the front door, which was addressed to a neighbor a block over.  I delivered the box to the neighbor, but didn't have mine.  I contacted BB&B and they filed a complaint with FedEx.  BB&B also created a new order for a replacement set, in case FedEx didn't find my order.  Well, the day FedEx finds my order and delivers it, BB&B notified me the replacement shipped.  When the replacement set was delivered I took it to the nearest BB&B store and turned it in to them.  The manager at the store assured me it happens to them all the time.  Much more than customers realize.  :wacko:

UPS is on my hate list.

My FFL called the local hub, made arrangements to hold at the local hub for pickup.
UPS ignored the instructions and returned my new rifle to the sender.

My FFL says UPS has done this to him twice now.
FedEx is not a problem.

Many local FFL here want $100 + DROS + NICS now.
It is actually less costly for me to cancel the order and buy it from Sportsmans warehouse.
Will get it faster, also.

39 minutes ago, bgavin said:

UPS is on my hate list.

My FFL called the local hub, made arrangements to hold at the local hub for pickup.

FedEx is not a problem.

It is actually less costly for me to cancel the order and buy it from Sportsmans warehouse.

Why is your FFL using UPS or FedEx?  He should be using USPS. Handguns easily fit into medium or large flat rate boxes. They also have a Game Board box that will hold a take down 97 and most SXS shotguns. Even using your own packaging it will be less than 1/2 of what Fed-Up charges.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Why is your FFL using UPS or FedEx?  He should be using USPS. Handguns easily fit into medium or large flat rate boxes. They also have a Game Board box that will hold a take down 97 and most SXS shotguns. Even using your own packaging it will be less than 1/2 of what Fed-Up charges.

Because they have to physically go to the post office, whereas with UPS/FedEx they can schedule a pickup.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Because they have to physically go to the post office, whereas with UPS/FedEx they can schedule a pickup.

If you have a USPS Click-&-Ship account you can print your own shipping labels and schedule pickups as well.

You also get a discounted rate.

I be jealous of that view ~ 'specially since there's a brown delivery truck in it!   :mellow:

The seller opted to send by UPS.

I will call the seller tomorrow and see if I can just cancel the order.
I will eat the shipping costs, and buy it from Sportsmans warehouse here.
The gun is $60 higher at S.W. but this will be less than finding another FFL at $100 fee, plus DROS, plus NICS fee.

This is torquing me off.

Mine finally arrived... 'bout 7:30-ish.

Missed the window for wrapping and delivering the gift tonight ~ gotta re-schedule for Sunday.  sigh.gif

USPS.... shipped a rifle to a fellow gunsmith within the state, about 175 miles away from me. Used a very heavy cardboard cylinder with plastic friction caps, stapled to cyl and taped over for extra security. Fellow gunsmith called and told me USPS had delivered an empty package to him. Staples and tap had been removed not tore out. None of the three, USPS, UPS, or FEDEX are dependable. And God forbid if a claim has to be filed with any of them.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Fed Ex is just as bad!!

FED X is wurse  :huh:

I use the local UPS store as my address.  Have a box there.  Much better service now that everything goes to a UPS STORE.   :)

if not all almost all Fed Ex delivery routes and truck routes and private contractors, and no I am not defending them just passing some info along

I drive truck for a large welding supply Co. A couple weeks ago, we had a customer order a special high purity gas cylinder that we don't normally carry. The customer was needing this cylinder ASAP. It came from, (I think)), Torrance Ca. to Tucson Az.

Torrance sent it UPS. Not regular UPS, but UPS Freight. We followed the tracking until it got to the local UPS dock, where we asked that they hold it so that we could pick it up and get it delivered to our customer.

When we went to pick it up, they couldn't find it. Our guy was there WATCHING them unload the truck that the manager assured him it was on, but no. UPS lost it. 

Now this gas cylinder is about four FEET long, six inches in diameter, and weighs about 80 pounds! 

It's now a week later, and they STILL don't know what happened to it. :angry:

On 7/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, Arkansas Jim 107095 said:

JB, very nice view 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:48 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I be jealous of that view ~ 'specially since there's a brown delivery truck in it!   :mellow:

On 7/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hey, JBB! I too love your view.

This time of year, it's a terrifying view. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of Montana is extremely dry. I've lived here all my life (63+ years), and I've NEVER seen clover like this year. The stuff is six feet tall in places. I've got some cattle in here again this year, but not enough, and they're not eating it down fast enough. If this field below my house goes up, the flames will be 20' high in the deeper stuff, and the prevailing winds blow uphill toward my house. Off to the northwest, I can see a wildfire out north of Helena that's somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 acres, depending on the reporter. And it's only two days old.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, bgavin said:

UPS is on my hate list.

FedEx is not a problem.

Tell your FFL to get an online account verified to his address.  We did for work and it is much more effective than telling the employee at the local hub.  The computer tells the sorters to hold it instead of load it.  

I will be picking up my Stoeger and one of my revolvers tomorrow.
I sent this to him by email tonight, will pin him down tomorrow.

I'm fed up with all these delays.
If I opt for another FFL, my fees will go through the roof.
If I can cancel the order entirely, I can buy from Sportsmans Warehouse for $66 higher, but it is a wash for total fees.

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I can buy from Sportsmans Warehouse for $66 higher, but it is a wash for total fees.

Use one of their "$30 off a $150 purchase" coupons. ;)

And the UPS nightmare continues...

I have TWO guns returned by UPS to the sellers.
Bud's Guns tells me that UPS will not hold firearms at the depot for pickup.
UPS ignores hold-at-hub verbal instructions from the receiving FFL, so there is no record of those instructions.
Twice now.

Bud's is shipping my revolver by 2-day air (another $25 shipping fee).
They are shipping this Wednesday, so it will be out for delivery on one of three tries next Monday.

My Henry rifle is a different story.
Customer service at that vendor is dumb as a rock.
They ship UPS ground, so timing the arrival will be a crapshoot.

They want 20% to cancel the order, so ordering locally from Sportsmans Warehouse will double the price of the rifle.
Good grief.

With the 30-day waiting periods, I may get the rest of my revolvers by Halloween.

Had a special order at Menards. Shipped Red X. Tracking showed on way to Holiday City, DC. No movement in 10 days. Called Menards, 3 days later, in transit to Holiday City, OH. Finally came to store.

Archived