SASS Wire Forum

Powder head scratcher!

Hoss

Was emptying out the last of a 8lb jug of Bullseye powder into a 1lb jug. Heard/felt something in the jug, figured it was a desiccant pill. Turned out to be a bullet. I’ve never loaded this caliber, never loaded a gas checked Bullet. No way it was one of mine.  Night the powder new, it’s never been out of my reloading room since I brought it home. Wonder where it came from???

Kids or grandkids? They get into and do the strangest things sometimes. Not that I was ever a kid.  

12 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I think you bought a jug of used powder.

There are no doubt other possibilities, but I expect somebody used some of it and put in the bullet to bring it back up to 8 pounds before returning it.  Other than that, I give up.  :)

Its possible it was dropped in there as a joke.

I use to work in an office setting where everyone had atleast one computer on their desk.

Sometimes, if I found a screw or odd looking small item, I would take it in someones office

and drop it on the floor under their computer.    It would drive them crazy.

Whats even funnier is to find an old ear ring of your wife or maybe find one on the street.

Take it back to the office and drop it in the hall way.   

The funny part is when the person who finds it will spend the next hour going to everyones office

trying to find the owner.

Now, somebody somewhere is smiling while thinking about your keg of powder with that bullet

in it.    Just one question..... is it silver?

Hi Yo Silver..... Away!

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Was emptying out the last of a 8lb jug of Bullseye powder into a 1lb jug. Heard/felt something in the jug, figured it was a desiccant pill. Turned out to be a bullet. I’ve never loaded this caliber, never loaded a gas checked Bullet. No way it was one of mine.  Night the powder new, it’s never been out of my reloading room since I brought it home. Wonder where it came from???

Maybe there really is a bullet fairy. 

Powder company saved a couple hundred grains of powder. It would add up over many jugs, but lead seems more expensive than the powder.:D

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

lead seems more expensive than the powder.

Not even close.  Lead is say $1.75 a pound as cast into bullets.   Powder is close to $20 a pound.    Dropping lead into jugs to replace powder would turn additional profit quickly.

At the expense of losing most customers due to being sold contaminated powder..

I'm on the wagon with "pulled a batch of cartridges apart and misplaced a slug" pards.     Another good reason that I either discard pulled powder (almost always), or keep it in a separate container for immediate loading of practice ammo.  Main reason for doing that, though, is the powder picks up bullet lube when I hammer-pull the cartridges apart.

Good luck, GJ

I’ve never loaded a bullet like that. There is no way it was one of mine. Guessing it’s for 30-06. 

Im 99% sure the powder jug was sealed, but I suppose it could have been opened, partially used, returned to store. Bullseye probably not a popular powder for 30-06 shooters tho. 

I guess I’ll never know! 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, Hoss said:

Beam me up....

Texas Lizard

On 7/27/2019 at 7:42 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Powder company saved a couple hundred grains of powder. It would add up over many jugs, but lead seems more expensive than the powder.:D

That presumes the buyers all accurately weigh the 8# of powder.  Otherwise why bother. 

I know I just trust the label.  What else can you do, really? 

A good year ago I bought a 8 pound jug of Titegroup from my regular, trustworthily LGS.  Been sitting on the shelf waiting until I used the older Titegroup inventory.  This was the week.  Open the 8 pound jug and was surprised the seal was already broken.  Looked inside and the jug was only half full.  Bummer.  Next time I need to compare weights before purchasing.

Archived