SASS Wire Forum

Shooter Survey Results

BootStrap Phil

42 minutes ago, BootStrap Phil said:

Both the original & this link both worked for me. 

Win 7 & FireFox.

Great survey effort.  How in the world did you get this many people to put such effort into responding? 

Great job!!! - - - - REALLY!!!

Very good reading for anyone putting together matches or leading posses.   It deserves to be a permanent pin-up posting here.  

My own simplified takeaway messages, after reading it:

1.  Provide variety in targets, distances, difficulty.  

2.  Don't forget who you as MD are working for - - paying customers. 

3.  Don't overdo anything except food and water.  Too much of any one stage design thing will be distasteful.  

4.  Make sure the match stays fun, energized, and friendly.   

5.  Treat everyone like they have a SASS number in the same range as your own.   We are equals.  

6.  No surprises.  Have clear posse stage directions, and strive for minimum Procedurals, Minor Safeties, DQs, target overlaps, and shooter stoppages.  Work to help  shooters - - not just to police them. 

And to the survey results I would have added, for Posse leaders, 

Make sure you understand and have emergency procedures memorized and potentially needed resources available. 

Great job, BP.

Fantastic survey!  I scanned the comments and realized I need to spend some serious time in carefully considering a wide range of concerns. This is one of the best things I have seen lately which is meant to give shooters a voice. I had never given real thought to the left-hand shooters needs on stages. The option to start at either end when possible was often cited as important.

Thank you so much for setting this up and getting results out so quickly!

Hmmm...  some 70% like SASS recommended distances... When was the last time these folks actually shot a match where targets used all the distances recommended... especially the rifle... 

o Revolver targets: 7 to 10 yards.
o Shotgun targets: 8 to 16 yards.
o Rifle targets: 13 to 50 yards.

And for those that say... "feel the splash"  I hope you, and you alone gets your wish.  As the shooter I rarely feel any splashback, but when TOing, spotting, scorekeeping or simply watching... the splash back is none to pleasant.  I believe it has something to do with the direction splash back occurs... more frequent around the edges of the splash pattern.  whereas directly in line with the shot... not so much.

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

Hmmm...  some 70% like SASS recommended distances... When was the last time these folks actually shot a match where targets used all the distances recommended... especially the rifle... 

o Revolver targets: 7 to 10 yards.
o Shotgun targets: 8 to 16 yards.
o Rifle targets: 13 to 50 yards.

And for those that say... "feel the splash"  I hope you, and you alone gets your wish.  As the shooter I rarely feel any splashback, but when TOing, spotting, scorekeeping or simply watching... the splash back is none to pleasant.  I believe it has something to do with the direction splash back occurs... more frequent around the edges of the splash pattern.  whereas directly in line with the shot... not so much.

Last weekend SASS monthly 

Revolver 8

Shotgun 9

Rifle 14-15

When working with 4H Western Heritage kids those are near the minimums. We used the TMS range for the WH state shoot July 4th and the targets ended up at those distances, but in all honesty that is where they are normally. Many of the 4H’ers are shooting 22’s so any extra distance is a good thing

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Since I’m not going to spend the time to read all the answers in detail, a summary would be nice.  But you are to be commended for putting such a detailed study together!

Thanks for the survey. Variety of responses for sure. But I do like the one about Blond, Blue Eyed;)

Thanks for collecting this.

One thing that would be interesting is to see the demographic information on the respondents. Location, age, number of years in SASS. And it would be interesting to compare responses against these demographics.

It may add context to the raw data.

Archived