SASS Wire Forum

Black powder question...

Croc Holiday

Shooting subs is like kissing your sister!

Real BP with Big Lube bullets is the way to go. No muss no fuss, you can run a 2 day shoot without ever using a cleaning rod. I shoot on Saturday and clean on Wednesday.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:55 PM, Warden Callaway said:

I wouldn't bother with drop tube.  

I agree. No need for a drop tube in ammo used for CAS. I only use a drop tube for my 45-70 rounds that I load on my single stage press.

1 hour ago, Bull Skinner said:

Shooting subs is like kissing your sister!

Real BP with Big Lube bullets is the way to go. No muss no fuss, you can run a 2 day shoot without ever using a cleaning rod. I shoot on Saturday and clean on Wednesday.

I’m going to take your word on that, as I’ve done neither. 

Thanks so much for all the replies.  I really appreciate it.  Real BP it is then!

11 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

9 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’m going to take your word on that, as I’ve done neither. 

You can take my word for it too.

I am incredibly lazy. You may already know that.

I can shoot a two day match, without cleaning my guns in between, and with Big Lube bullets they keep on shooting for both days.

I also very, very seldom clean my guns the same day I shoot them. Just incredibly lazy.

I try to clean them within a week of shooting them, but often go much longer.

In any case, once I clean them and lube them up with with Ballistol they are good to go. No matter how long they sat before they got cleaned.

53 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

You can take my word for it too.

I am incredibly lazy. You may already know that.

I can shoot a two day match, without cleaning my guns in between, and with Big Lube bullets they keep on shooting for both days.

I also very, very seldom clean my guns the same day I shoot them. Just incredibly lazy.

I try to clean them within a week of shooting them, but often go much longer.

In any case, once I clean them and lube them up with with Ballistol they are good to go. No matter how long they sat before they got cleaned.

I was referring to the kiss your sister part when I said I’ll take his word for it. 

I’m pretty sure it was you that recommended Big Lube Bullets to me years ago when I first started. Fortunately for me, Springfield Slim is a friend of mine that is local to me so I’m always supplied. 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, Bull Skinner said:

Thanks for the back up Driftwood.

EHSN, Slim is my BIG LUBES supplier also since I quit casting my own in 2005.

Do you have a link you can share?  

Do they come with lube?  If not, what do you use?

Thanks for the link Tequila.

There ya go Croc. Slim makes a good soft bullet with a very good BP lube. He packs in shrink wrap so the lube doesn’t dry out before you are ready to load them. Then ships them using USPS bulk rate boxes.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:39 AM, Croc Holiday said:

Do they come with lube?  If not, what do you use?

Howdy

A bunch of years ago Slim was lubing his bullets with SPG. These days he uses his own home made lube.

Here is a photo of the Big Lube Mav-Dutchman 44 caliber 200 grain bullet. On the left I have stripped the lube out to show how huge the lube groove is. Next is the same bullet with Slim's home made lube in it. Slim's lube is pale green in color, SPG is just pale gray. Next are a 44 Russian round and 44-40 round loaded with the Mav-Dutchman bullet. The Big Lube 250 grain 45  caliber PRS bullets I got from Slim a few weeks ago have the same greenish, home made lube in them.

44%20Russian%2044-40%20and%20Mav-Dutchma

While a Drop-tube is not really "Needed" for "Cowboy loads" I have found that it Reduces Fouling , Increases Velocity and gives a Lower Standard Deviation ...

And Since I am dropping Charges from a powder Measure, anyway the Drop-Tube Doesn't make for any more work ....  A better return/result for the same amount of Work is what I call a Win ....

I charge 50 cases in the loading Block, Slide tube up 1/2 inch, slide case under, drop tube on case mouth, Charge with measure , lift tube, Slide next case under tube ,,,,Repeat ....When all 50 are charged take a look under the light , then load ....

I too am Lazy so I don't fiddle with Fillers , Cookies or the like I just seat a bullet with a good amount of good lube so as to compress the settled charge 1/8 - 3/16 ths. of an inch ....

Standard Deviation on 10 rounds of .38-40 ( .38 WCF ) out of my 66 was 2 FPS .... Extreme spread was 5 FPS...

And a Drop-Tube really pays on Long Range guns ...

Jabez Cowboy

I don't like the big lube bullets.  They certainly work though.  I run a standard two lube bullet with a beeswax olive oil mix lube and I never need to clean my rifle during a match beyond perhaps a spritz of murphy's mix in the action at the start of the 2nd day to free things up.  Of course I shoot a .38-40 so my brass seals well.  I shoot full loads of 2F properly compressed without filler.

Never liked the small shank of the big lube bullets as it seems to make the bearing surface small as the bullet is leaving the barrel.

Archived