SASS Wire Forum

Optimal barrel length for a '97? Opinions please.

Sloe Moe

It’s not a myth, Widder. The only part that is a myth is the 97 only part. You need at least three of every gun. And that’s the bare minimum. Saying otherwise is just crazy talk. What are you thinking being that irresponsible? My wife could have read your thread and started questioning my method. 

15 hours ago, Sloe Moe said:

If what you say is true, and not just another '97 myth, I'm gonna leave these two alone in the safe with some mood lighting and Barry White on the cassette deck...

Well it works for me anyway.   Two more just showed up 

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

It’s not a myth, Widder. The only part that is a myth is the 97 only part. You need at least three of every gun. And that’s the bare minimum. Saying otherwise is just crazy talk. What are you thinking being that irresponsible? My wife could have read your thread and started questioning my method. 

Well if you wanna look at it that way, sure...

28 Main Match Revolvers

10 Main Match Rifles

6 Main Match Shotguns

And that doesn't count pocket pistols, derringers, long range rifles or other guns of the era that are simply not used in our game.

6 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

El Hombre,

You are so correct.   My apologies due to some serious HEAT exhaustion and lack of proper diet.

Getting smacked in the side of the head with a 2x4 yesterday morning must have clouded my 

thoughts momentarily.

Indeed, I own about a dozen 97's......... AND I NEED EVERY ONE OF THEM!   ;)

..........Widder

Well, it arrived yesterday, Went to the shop to do the transfer, discussed with the 'Smith, not a terrible big ding in the barrel, but noticeable on the inside, really smooth action, much nicer than my other '97, quite pleased overall. Decided on making the barrel a 20" , no bead, replace the decades old, hard-as-a rock recoil pad with a new one, safety and function check on the entire works. Pick it up in a month or so (maybe just 2 weeks, but I know him, he's slow). I'm gonna need a butt-cover to hide the unsightly aftermarket recoil pad, so shopping for one now.

Also, found another '97 on the SASS Net classifieds today, moments ago, looks really nice. Bead blasted finish, shortened barrel (to what, dunno), good looking wood, I needed #3, just got paid...so I'm buying it.   

Who makes good butt-covers for a '97? I might need 2 or 3 

My match '97 is about 18 1/16". The other three or four are all full-length. I wouldn't have cut it quite that short, but it was like that when I bought it.

i had two - gave one to my good friend in trade for a big favor , the one i kept was a 1911 , 30" cylinder bore , ill cut it down one day when i get time to think on it - shoot cowboy trap till then , 

the one i gave him was a 1915 30" full - he likes it for cowboy trap too , 

Archived