SASS Wire Forum

Optimal barrel length for a '97? Opinions please.

Sloe Moe

Greenhorn here, but I did just buy my second Winchester 1897 off Gunbroker, mid '30s build date . Seller states that there is a dent in the barrel 4'' down from the muzzle (30" barrel). I would not cut the barrel off a perfectly good '97, but if it's dented it's gotta come off. That's my thinking anyway.

So, I've got to decide what to tell my GunSmith. What barrel length do I want?

Best '97 barrel length for CAS ?

Thanks,

Sloe Moe

In my opinion, the best length for a 97 is 30" with a full choke barrel.  Both of my clean matches, End of the Trail and the MA/CT/RI Tri-state were shot with this gun.  In fact I hardly ever miss or fail to knock down with this configuration, but have been known to do so with a 20" no choke barrel.

Of course your barrel has a dent in it, 4" from the muzzle.   So for that one, I'd say 26".

Also, wait till you get the gun.   The dent might be slight enough as to not be dangerous.   Of course, it is, then deal with it.  In any case, even if the gun is labeled 2-3/4", it's likely really 2-5/8" and you'll need to either have the chamber lengthened, or shoot shorter shells in it.  Apparently they measured differently back in the day.

Most dents can be raised by a good shotgun smith (they use a hydraulic ram in a bore size cylinder).  Vent rib barrels excluded.

A 20" barrel is the most common in cowboy matches.  Because it slips in and out of doors and windows quickly.  Much shorter, and you are down to the magazine tube hanging out.    That said, lop it off at 20" and put on a new big bead front sight.

Good luck, GJ

Cut it so that its overall length matches the overall length of your rifle.  I like the the way mine look when staged side by side at a match or stored in a safe. There are also probably some muscle memory advantages that a top shooter could use, like shooting through a window.  (Unless that makes the barrel less than 18” of course!)

34 minutes ago, Sloe Moe said:

Greenhorn here, but I did just buy my second Winchester 1897 off Gunbroker, mid '30s build date . Seller states that there is a dent in the barrel 4'' down from the muzzle (30" barrel). I would not cut the barrel off a perfectly good '97, but if it's dented it's gotta come off. That's my thinking anyway.

So, I've got to decide what to tell my GunSmith. What barrel length do I want?

Best '97 barrel length for CAS ?

Thanks,

Sloe Moe

They’re not that hard to cut down. You might want to try it yourself. Save you a few bucks. I like 22” on my 16 gauge 1897’s.

Well, a course I could cut it down myself, I do own a hacksaw, and an angle grinder with cutoff wheels for that matter. But I like supporting my GunSmith, he's done right by me in the past and the big bead site I want would be the hard part.

My other '97 is 26" factory order, I'm pretty sure, and I want something shorter. Rifle is an Uberti '73 20". So I think I'm headed in that direction. 

It's only my second '97, and I understand that I need three for CAS... 

As strange as it might seem, the first question I would ask is:  Just how big of a boy are you?

Some good suggestions listed above like 'try a few out at a local match before you decide to cut'.....

'the dent might not be so bad and can be repaired'..... 'cut the same length as rifle'..... etc..........

I prefer my 97 to be 18.25".     For my size, I feel it handles best 'FOR ME'.

Many pards prefer the 20" to 22" lengths.

..........Widder

Moe,

with your size, my guess is that anything under 20" might feel to 'kiddzy' for you.  

You might find the 20" to 24" more to your size, with 22" probably a very happy medium for you.

Good Luck.

P.S. - if this SG is gonna be strictly used for SASS/CAS, you might want to consider leaving the front

bead off.    In other words, if you have the barrel cut, don't reinstall the bead.

If you find out you can't shoot well without it, then have it put back on.

..........Widder

12 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Moe,

with your size, my guess is that anything under 20" might feel to 'kiddzy' for you.  

..........Widder

Kiddzy...like "squirrely" or "jumpy"? that's OK with me.  Secretly, my real reason for being here is to make me a better shootist, and if conquering a kiddzy shorty 12 gauge instead of cruising with a sedate 30"er, I'm gonna give it my best effort. Thanks for your help, I'm now leanin' 20 inches or so...

If it helps, I have some 97 practice info on YouTube.

Type in:  Widowmaker Shotgun Practice.     There are 3 of them.   Maybe something there

might help you with your 97.

..........Widder

Question: The SHB (p.38) states that "Military configurations are not allowed (i.e., trench guns)". Why is a 97 shortened to 18-20" not already a (self-made) trench gun? Does it need further features like bayonet mount?

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Question: The SHB (p.38) states that "Military configurations are not allowed (i.e., trench guns)". Why is a 97 shortened to 18-20" not already a (self-made) trench gun? Does it need further features like bayonet mount?

Yes.

w97058.jpg

Everybody is different.. when my wife switched to a 97 we started at 30 and cut off an inch at a time.  She likes 18 inches.  I prefer longer. 22-24" 

We currently have 97s with barrels from 34" down to really short. Made from 1898 to the 50s.  Just be careful if you leave two 97s in the safe alone.... they are worse than rabbits.   I sold off 19 last year and I think we still have about a dozen floating around

25 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Everybody is different.. when my wife switched to a 97 we started at 30 and cut off an inch at a time.  She likes 18 inches.  I prefer longer. 22-24" 

We currently have 97s with barrels from 34" down to really short. Made from 1898 to the 50s.  Just be careful if you leave two 97s in the safe alone.... they are worse than rabbits.   I sold off 19 last year and I think we still have about a dozen floating around

At least I know who to call if I lose my mind again and decide I need a 97' :P

16 hours ago, Sloe Moe said:

It's only my second '97, and I understand that I need three for CAS... 

Bovine excriment!

I have 2 97's, the above mentioned 20" and 30" guns.   Neither has ever failed me for anything other than operator error.   The 30" gun is much more worn than the 20", so I had to have some minor work done when I first got it to get it back up to snuff, but since then, about 10 years of it being my primary main match gun, I've had to do nothing to it.  The 20" which was my main match before that, and is commonly loaned out to friends that I get to try the game, has never given me or them a lick of trouble.   Both guns are real Winchesters, made in 190something and 192something respectively and are as close to stock as they can be.     Maybe the reproductions aren't as good as the originals.

My 97 is a 30 inch barrel takedown.  I didn't want to cut it since the gun is in real nice condition.  I ran across a 97 front end on Gunbroker that was in similar condition as mine and 30 inch.  Had a gunsmith cut it down to 24 inches and adjust it to fit my receiver.  So far I like it really well.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Bovine excriment!

Shirley you meant to exclaim "excrement"?

But I catch the general drift of your argument. Don't shoot me, I'm simply repeating a rumor that I overheard somewhere once...and as long as nobody calls me on it, I think it'll pass as a perfectly good justification to start looking for my third '97.

26 minutes ago, Sloe Moe said:

Shirley you meant to exclaim "excrement"?

But I catch the general drift of your argument. Don't shoot me, I'm simply repeating a rumor that I overheard somewhere once...and as long as nobody calls me on it, I think it'll pass as a perfectly good justification to start looking for my third '97.

Aye gess eye kneed too lern two spel.  

No animus towards you.   I just believe that the "you need three 97's" myth is well, a myth.    I guess I just finally heard it one to many times and needed to say so.   

I would like to have another 97, I understand that they did make barrels over 30" and it would be cool to own one.   I also have a 93/97, and a reproduction 97 Trenchgun and an honest to goodness 93.    I like the design.  Nothing wrong with having multiples, especially in different configurations depending on what suits your fancy.   Heck, I've got way to many SAA's, both real and clones, to say nothing of all the other Main Match pistols in my collection.

And don't call me Surely.

11 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Just be careful if you leave two 97s in the safe alone.... they are worse than rabbits.  

If what you say is true, and not just another '97 myth, I'm gonna leave these two alone in the safe with some mood lighting and Barry White on the cassette deck...

This is just a guess of mine, but I suspect that 'you need 3' myth became popular

when used 97's could be bought for a song & dance at local pawn shops.

And some of those needed some repairs due to 100 years of either abuse, or neglect.

ANYHOW, I own several.  All of them are IAC's.

My 2 favorites are 04 series.  They have served me well for over 10 years of usage in ALL of my local

SASS matches (3 a month) and at all of the Side Match Speed SG events at the bigger matches.

They were correctly 'tuned' by a great 97 smith (Curly Bill Kelly in Harriman, TN) and have needed

nothing except replacing broken ejector springs every couple years.

Ya really only need one if its tuned correctly.   But, because they are the cheapest firearm we could buy, once

upon a time, it was easy to buy a handful and create a myth to justify our purchases.

All this of course, is just my opinion, although some of my personal experiences are based on facts.

..........Widder

Archived