SASS Wire Forum

DA .22lr revolver question

Pat Riot

They quit making the 18. Then a few years ago they brought them back in their "Classic" line.

Just went and looked. Listed as "no longer in current production".

Went to 2 gun stores today to compare different guns.

In one store that is a franchise here in SoCal I found a S&W 617 for $899.00 :blink:

The other is an independent store that is a fixture in the city of Orange. The only .22 revolver they had was an S&W model 63 for $799.00 :blink:

I swear, these (blankety blank sons of betcha thought I was gonna cuss) are taking advantage of the fact they can charge full MSRP because they flippin’ can! They have no real competition any more. 

26 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Went to 2 gun stores today to compare different guns.

In one store that is a franchise here in SoCal I found a S&W 617 for $899.00 :blink:

The other is an independent store that is a fixture in the city of Orange. The only .22 revolver they had was an S&W model 63 for $799.00 :blink:

I swear, these (blankety blank sons of betcha thought I was gonna cuss) are taking advantage of the fact they can charge full MSRP because they flippin’ can! They have no real competition any more. 

I don't shop much anymore, but from what I've seen Smith revolvers have gone BSC. Decades ago I saw a like new 4" blue 19  in the box for $300. I didn't get it since I was .357 poor, even though it would have been a perfect mate to my 18. Still kick myself for that one.

JHC

Living next door from "gun city U. S. A", Prescott, AZ I have the most outrageous selection of guns you can imagine.  I was looking at new .30 and found the very same gun fro $429.95 to $729.95.  

I decided my Colt .380 Government Model with some work by Rowdy Yates will hold me over for another 20 years or so. I have about $500.00 in it including the original cost of the gun (used), walnut gripes, and the parts Rowdy put in.

2 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

One of the first handguns I bought (actually my mom might have had to buy it, don't remember if I was old enough) was a Smith M-18 and still have it. Factory skinny grips with a Tyler aluminum grip adapter, fits my small hands like a glove. I don't know if they even make them anymore. Love it still.

JHC

This one isn't mine, mine has the newer hammer, but you get the idea. Always loved the K frame, was never crazy about J's.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/attachments/smith-wesson-rimfire-guns/305833d1525473513-m18-pre18.jpg

One of those lives in my safe also , albeit with Hogue grips. It is one of the few that will be with me as long as I am here.

Years ago I gave my youngest a Model 63 , has served her well. 

Good luck in your search , Pat

Rex :D

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I don't shop much anymore, but from what I've seen Smith revolvers have gone BSC. Decades ago I saw a like new 4" blue 19  in the box for $300. I didn't get it since I was .357 poor, even though it would have been a perfect mate to my 18. Still kick myself for that one.

JHC

I found these same guns on RifleGear, which has a store in Fountain Valley, CA.

The 617 is $729.00 - Out of stock <_<

The 63 is $689.00 - 1 in stock. 

They also have the:

SP101 for $639.00 - in stock 

317 for $629.00 - out of stock

LCRx 22 for $489 - out of stock

I really like to support local businesses but not when they blatantly take advantage of the political situation in our area. Honestly, it ****es me off. 

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Living next door from "gun city U. S. A", Prescott, AZ I have the most outrageous selection of guns you can imagine.  I was looking at new .30 and found the very same gun fro $429.95 to $729.95.  

I decided my Colt .380 Government Model with some work by Rowdy Yates will hold me over for another 20 years or so. I have about $500.00 in it including the original cost of the gun (used), walnut gripes, and the parts Rowdy put in.

I have a .380 Colt Mustang I carried for years. Couple three years ago I bought a Glock 43 and fell in love with it. First time I shot it I couldn't figure out where the bullets were going. Walked down to the target and they were in a silver dollar size group dead center in the bull. That's the one I've carried primarily ever since. I feel a lot better carrying a 9mm than a .380. It's not has handy as the Mustang to be sure, but I have great confidence in it. I got a mag conversion that increased capacity by 1 round to 7+1. I usually carry a second mag with it.

JHC

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I really like to support local businesses but not when they blatantly take advantage of the political situation in our area. Honestly, it ****es me off. 

For me, this is charging $100 for an FFL fee, plus DROS, plus background check.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

For me, this is charging $100 for an FFL fee, plus DROS, plus background check.

I can go to the RifleGear store 4 miles from me and get the lower prices. RifleGear is based out of Texas. They have the same brick and mortar costs the other stores do in California. 

All the fees are the same, regardless of which store I buy from.

Here in Sacramento, the big stores won't accept FFL transfers at all.
The small FFL in my area are $75 to $100 for transfer fees.

I had to walk away from my neighborhood FFL.. too unreliable due to his day job.
$35 transfer fee is reasonable, but he missed a UPS delivery, and my new Henry is now on its way back to the dealer in Illinois.
Yet another headache in CA.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I love my Colt .380 but I have retired it for edc after getting a SIG P938. Amazingly accurate, great sights and bigger punch.

I have so far avoided the lgs by taking alternate routes. But I have to go right by it tomorrow! What shall I do???

I'll need earplugs so I won''t hear the 22s calling out plaintively "Buy me. Buy Me" :(

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I love my Colt .380 but I have retired it for edc after getting a SIG P938. Amazingly accurate, great sights and bigger punch.

When I need more punch and still keep my accuracy I go to my 1911 A1.  It's as heavy as a school bus but it is also very reassuring.  :)

On 7/28/2019 at 6:09 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have a .380 Colt Mustang I carried for years. Couple three years ago I bought a Glock 43 and fell in love with it. First time I shot it I couldn't figure out where the bullets were going. Walked down to the target and they were in a silver dollar size group dead center in the bull. That's the one I've carried primarily ever since. I feel a lot better carrying a 9mm than a .380. It's not has handy as the Mustang to be sure, but I have great confidence in it. I got a mag conversion that increased capacity by 1 round to 7+1. I usually carry a second mag with it.

JHC

My BIL had a Mustang (same as my G Model but a shorter barrel.  He could never get it to work and I offered to buy it from him.  He sold it to someone else that we both know and the gun worked just fine.  My BIL is a know-it-all on any subject but he never listened when I told him he was 'limp-wristing' the gun.

Now he won't own a semi-auto and has some outrageously impractical and ugly wheel guns.  One of those fire-from-the bottom .357s, a Judge, a BFR .45-70 and some others.  I can carry half the hand guns I own  (well, maybe not HALF, but a bunch) while he's struggling along with three or four of his over size behemoths...an he still can't hit anything with any of his.

17 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When I need more punch and still keep my accuracy I go to my 1911 A1.  It's as heavy as a school bus but it is also very reassuring.  :)

In hot weather I carry the mini. In the winter I carry the 1911. I'm a diminutive feller do I need a jacket to conceal the biggun.

One of the reasons I was looking at a DA revolver is I do not trust .22 auto loaders to work properly with various ammo. 

I have researched them all and when I drill down into reviews I find the phenomenon that I call “blind buyer’s remorse”.

This occurs when someone wants something because everyone else has one or says it’s great. They want to be associated with the winning team or the “in” crowd so they bite. They buy the gun that Joey Sunshine, the sweetheart of the gun forum or the self appointed tough guy extraordinaire recommends only to find its not all “wine and roses” after the purchase. BUT they do not broadcast their remorse or their misgivings. They proceed to parrot the Guru’s schtick and promote the ego offending product and they proceed to find work arounds which they tout vehemently to not only placate their own bruised ego but to also remain in the game, in the limelight along side their favorite forum guru/ know-it-all.

I search out the BS and move on accordingly. One can pretty much trust that a revolver will handle and fire pretty much all .22 ammo.

The one gun mentioned in these threads that is not a revolver that gets actual rave reviews when people are honest or not acting like snobs is the lowly Phoenix HP22 10 shot semi auto .22lr pistol. 

I find this interesting. I have owned or fired numerous.22 semiautomatic pistols. All of them have had some quirk. This one only shoots high velocity ammo or this only only shoots standard velocity well. They all have quirks but the most “quirkless” (not a word, I know) one I have found, available to me here in CA is the Phoenix. 

Weird.

I may just get one of those now and pick up the revolver later when I can put my hands on one at a decent price.

Thanks Forty Rod :D

22 ammo has about the widest range of QC and power over any other ammo out there.

Stick with top line 22 ammo, and you'll have no issues.

I use CCI mini-mag solids, for everything in 22. Never any cycle'n issue......

OLG

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of the reasons I was looking at a DA revolver is I do not trust .22 auto loaders to work properly with various ammo. 

I have researched them all and when I drill down into reviews I find the phenomenon that I call “blind buyer’s remorse”.

This occurs when someone wants something because everyone else has one or says it’s great. They want to be associated with the winning team or the “in” crowd so they bite. They buy the gun that Joey Sunshine, the sweetheart of the gun forum or the self appointed tough guy extraordinaire recommends only to find its not all “wine and roses” after the purchase. BUT they do not broadcast their remorse or their misgivings. They proceed to parrot the Guru’s schtick and promote the ego offending product and they proceed to find work arounds which they tout vehemently to not only placate their own bruised ego but to also remain in the game, in the limelight along side their favorite forum guru/ know-it-all.

I search out the BS and move on accordingly. One can pretty much trust that a revolver will handle and fire pretty much all .22 ammo.

The one gun mentioned in these threads that is not a revolver that gets actual rave reviews when people are honest or not acting like snobs is the lowly Phoenix HP22 10 shot semi auto .22lr pistol. 

I find this interesting. I have owned or fired numerous.22 semiautomatic pistols. All of them have had some quirk. This one only shoots high velocity ammo or this only only shoots standard velocity well. They all have quirks but the most “quirkless” (not a word, I know) one I have found, available to me here in CA is the Phoenix. 

Weird.

I may just get one of those now and pick up the revolver later when I can put my hands on one at a decent price.

Thanks Forty Rod :D

Biggest problem with Phoenix is with the magazines.  Jerry has bought three Phoenix mags and two of them are too large to fit the mag well.  He's ordered a few more, but for a gun that cost him under $150.00, it's way above the line on being a good gun.  With the mags that fit the gun he has had NO MISS FIRES in maybe 350 rounds.

He's learned to use the side thumb safety and disregard the hammer block altogether.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:29 AM, bgavin said:

I had to walk away from my neighborhood FFL.. too unreliable due to his day job.
$35 transfer fee is reasonable, but he missed a UPS delivery, and my new Henry is now on its way back to the dealer in Illinois.
Yet another headache in CA.

He must've missed more than just one delivery. Usually they'll try again the next day and not send the package back until after multiple unsuccessful attempts.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

22 ammo has about the widest range of QC and power over any other ammo out there.

Stick with top line 22 ammo, and you'll have no issues.

I use CCI mini-mag solids, for everything in 22. Never any cycle'n issue......

OLG

I normally recommend CCI ammo exclusively, but during the .22 ammo shortage it seems they let their QC slip a little, and I had a few that wouldn't go bang.

medium800.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I normally recommend CCI ammo exclusively, but during the .22 ammo shortage it seems they let their QC slip a little, and I had a few that wouldn't go bang.

medium800.jpg

That's not the plated mini-mag I use.

Is that the standard speed version ?

I do see the 'C' stamp in the case head..........

Did you contact CCI? I sure would have. Those all are good FP hits.

OLG

I think CCI makes the best .22 LR ammo overall.

I do like Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts for plinking. Some people hate them. I have had good luck with them.

Lately I have been impressed with Aguila ammo for general plinking fun. 

My worst 22 ammo is anything Winchester. Even during the Great 22 Famine I passed that crap up.

I think I need to add Federal to the crap 22 list as well. 

Howdy,

.22 ammo comes in so many variations. Light bullets , heavy bullets, high velocity

super hi, standard and on and on.

An auto that could handle all would be something.

A ruger mk 2 does pretty well.

The trick is to shoot the ammo accurately as opposed to just

going bang.

That lcr in 22 sure looks interesting.

I just haven't had a chance to shoot one in .22.

Best

CR

ps Bill had the single action covered back in the 50s.

14 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

That lcr in 22 sure looks interesting.

I was curious about the LCRx 22. 

The specs look good but I find that a lot of folks say the trigger pull is too high in double action.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5435.html

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have so far avoided the lgs by taking alternate routes. But I have to go right by it tomorrow! What shall I do???

I'll need earplugs so I won''t hear the 22s calling out plaintively "Buy me. Buy Me" :(

UB, in double-action revolvers, my recommendations to you are:

1.  S&W Model 17 "K22 Masterpiece" (K-frame, 6-inch barrel) - best shooting handgun there is in .22 Long Rifle.  It'll remind you of your old Model 19 only not as loud.

2. S&W Model 34-1 "Kit Gun" (J-frame, 4-inch barrel) - ideal for carrying around the UB ranch and still a sweet little shooter in .22 Long Rifle.  I've popped a couple of bunnies with mine.

3.  "Buy me. Buy Me!!!!"^_^

Sorry, Pat.  A Model 34-1 would be my recommendation to you as the little "Kit Gun" is ideal for a man who loves S&W revolvers, except...well...California...you're screwed. B)

S&W Model 17-4 "K22 Masterpiece" in .22 Long Rifle

72bRkR.jpg

Ym7lon.jpg

S&W Model 34-1 "Kit Gun" in .22 Long Rifle with Altamont grip stocks.

SJcOx9.jpg

iPuVoX.jpg

15 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

. S&W Model 34-1 "Kit Gun" (J-frame, 4-inch barrel) - ideal for carrying around the UB ranch and still a sweet little shooter in .22 Long Rifle.  I've popped a couple of bunnies with mine

Gotta agree on that 34-1. Ain't done no bunnies, but have kilt several bushy-tailed rats, and one rackity-coon that thought he was gonna winter in my attic.

34-1, 22-32 Kit Gun.jpg

19 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think CCI makes the best .22 LR ammo overall.

I do like Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts for plinking. Some people hate them. I have had good luck with them.

Had I known you like Thunderbolts I'd have gladly mailed you the two bricks of it that I had. It took me ages to burn through that garbage as it repeatedly jammed or misfired in every .22 I own.

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Had I known you like Thunderbolts I'd have gladly mailed you the two bricks of it that I had. It took me ages to burn through that garbage as it repeatedly jammed or misfired in every .22 I own.

Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment. 

It has always worked well in my 10/22 and my non semiautomatic .22s. But I do know what you mean. In my S&W 22S it was trash ammo. I will have to try it in my Henry AR-7.

I love my Ruger SP 101, but it's been tuned.  I picked it up in a trade 20 years ago.  Gunbroker has several for about $550 and up.

It might be worth a search of pawn shops to find a used one or a decent used S&W.

Archived