SASS Wire Forum

DA .22lr revolver question

Pat Riot

I want to buy a .22 revolver. I want a double action, not a single action and I do not want a convertible. I want a 3” or 4” barrel.

In CA we have these choices for guns with barrels longer than 2” and shorter than 5.5 or 6 inches (I already have a model 17 with a 6” barrel)

S&W 317 3”
S&W 617 4”
S&W 63 3”
Ruger SP101 4”
Ruger LCRx 3”
Charter 2000 Pathfinder 4”

I am leaning towards the S&W 63 but I have never fired any of these. I am talking new guns, not used. I am also curious about the Ruger LCRx .22. Kind of ugly yet kind of cool too.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

PS: I chucked the soapbox so no need to look for it for use in bashing California. It is what it is. These are my choices and they aren’t bad choices so I am not complaining. 

Thank you in advance for your consideration :)

I have an LCRx in .38.... can't hit a large grapefruit with it at five yards.  Sight is atrocious ~ groove in the top of the backstrap and a blade front - which is about a eighth of an inch TALLER than the backstrap.  Hoping that adding a laser will be the answer.  Regarding the .22 LCRx, it does have proper sights and is very light - a bit over half the weight of the SP101 you mentioned.

Son just bought an SP101 in .38, and it is plumb neat!  Essentially a baby GP100... I would love to have the 4.2" .22 version with adjustable sights!

What the heck... I'm an old Ruger guy - check 'em all out, but don't skip the Rugers!    :)

My preference out of those would be the S&W 617. Just a solid nicely made accurate firearm that will last and keep it's value. If I was personally buying one I would get a S&W model 17 masterpiece with a 6 inch barrel, a beautiful accurate classic. 

8 minutes ago, Raylan said:

My preference out of those would be the S&W 617. Just a solid nicely made accurate firearm that will last and keep it's value. If I was personally buying one I would get a S&W model 17 masterpiece with a 6 inch barrel, a beautiful accurate classic. 

I kind of enamored of my friend's Charter Arms Pathfinder.  It has about  4" barrel and is rock solid, accurate, and stainless steel.  Be a good creel gun.

Have no experience with a 63, but I have a 4" 34 (same gun, but blue). Very nice, very accurate.

I have a 317, but it's the 1 1/8". Also has fixed sights. I think the new ones have a fiber optic front, but don't know if the rear is adjustable. It's very light - you can forget you've got it, but I'd take the extra weight over the fixed sights. Mine shoots to the right.

I've got an SP101. Was looking for a 4" K (my 17 is 8 3/8" - not really handy for woods totin'), but they all appeared to be made of unobtainium. About three months after I got the Ruger I found an 18, and the Ruger went in the safe. There's no comparison. The sights are not as good. The trigger is not as good.  Fabled Ruger strength is unimportant with a 22. The only thing better is it's stainless.

I've owned three Charters and all three have been unsat.

I'd either get the 63 or the 617 - depending on how much weight I wanted to carry.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'd either get the 63 or the 617 - depending on how much weight I wanted to carry.

The 63 is 25 ounces and the 617 is 39 ounces. I’d have to put my hands on them to see how they balance. The 617 is a 10 shot. The 63 an 8 shot. 

1 hour ago, Raylan said:

Already have one and I agree.

Ruger lcr in 9mm is the same as the 38, not accurate.  We once owned a charter arms 9mm revolver and it would not shoot shot shells and charter arms said none of their revolvers shoot shot shells. I have a Smith 22 mag revolver and love it so I imagine anything Smith is good 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I kind of enamored of my friend's Charter Arms Pathfinder.  It has about  4" barrel and is rock solid, accurate, and stainless steel.  Be a good creel gun.

I have not actually seen one of these in person. Some folks on another forum like the Charter Arms Pathfinder very much. I have never fired a CA revolver. 

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The 617 is a 10 shot. The 63 an 8 shot.  

My 17, 18, 34 and 101 are all six. So they would all be heavier than your comparable guns - less holes in the cylinder means more steel/weight. My 317 is eight.

Of the choices you offered, I would  pick the 617.  

I dont own any on your list but I have an S&W 17 and an 18, and both are superb.  Wonderfully accurate with Federal standard speed ammo.

While it involves more work than purchasing a CA DOJ listed handgun if you have a son, daughter or parent who is a resident of a FREE state you could put the handgun you really want on your birthday or Christmas wish list.  My daughter who is tied to the PRK until she retires spotted a sub compact 380 she liked at a Reno gunshow in 2013.  The gun wasn't on the list so it became a Christmas/birthday gift.  To make sure it met all CA's rules we took the gun to an FFL/gunsmith in the county she lives in and transferred it to her.

My preference from personal experience is the 617 is a great pistol.

And I think its available in 4" and 6",  with both model available as 6 OR 10 shooters.

Another pistol not on your list is the Tauras Tracker.   I owned one in 4" and

it was a very nice pistol.   The grips on it felt great to me.

Although I haven't owned nor shot one, the model 63 is a good pistol also.

Good luck.

..........Widder

53 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Another pistol not on your list is the Tauras Tracker.

14 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

been lusting after a Colt dimond back 4 in 

Neither of these is available “new” in California. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have not actually seen one of these in person. Some folks on another forum like the Charter Arms Pathfinder very much. I have never fired a CA revolver. 

I have shot Jerry's gun and like it a lot.  I have owned four CA guns, three Undercover .38 spec and a .44 Special.  After I had the cylinder latch cut and polished so it would not do damage to my thumb every time I fired it, the .44 was a very nice piece.  I still have one of the .38s...and wish I would have kept all of them.

If I were in the market for a .22 DA it would be one of my selections, or least a candidate.

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have shot Jerry's gun and like it a lot.  I have owned four CA guns, three Undercover .38 spec and a .44 Special.  After I had the cylinder latch cut and polished so it would not do damage to my thumb every time I fired it, the .44 was a very nice piece.  I still have one of the .38s...and wish I would have kept all of them.

If I were in the market for a .22 DA it would be one of my selections, or least a candidate.

Thank you. I respect your opinion. The CA moves up on my mental list.

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. I respect your opinion. The CA moves up on my mental list.

About that list: make sure you don't run out of paper.  There are a lot of .22 guns out there that don't "measure up" to some people's standards and are f getting a short shrift.  I know two people who bought Phoenix Arms .22 semi-autos, and I've seldom seem a tougher little gun.  A bit heavy for its size, but pobody's nerfect.

It's either the safest pistol in the world or the most dangerous: it has so many safeties that if you use them all at the same time you'll get killed before you can get the thing working.  Learn to use it and it's just a great little gun.

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I recently acquired a 3" 8-shot S&W 317-1 "Air-Lite"

Compact, LIGHT, and accurate.

S&W 317-1.jpg

This is the gun I originally thought I wanted until I saw some photos of them after use and abuse. They don’t age well. But I understand that everyone treats their guns differently. 

There is a mod that can be done to these at the factory where they will install a stainless cylinder. I am not sure what it costs but the 317s I have seen photos of with the new cylinder look pretty cool. And the cylinder is easier to clean. 

I wonder - when they install a stainless cylinder, do they use a stainless crane?

Mine after about five years of use. Isn't that a lovely wear mark?

317 crane wear 2.jpg

317 crane wear 1.jpg

I own the Ruger SP101, #5705, stainless,  in 4-inch.
I've owned it some 27 years now.

I'm partial to Rugers.
It shoots well, is well built and fun to shoot.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I wonder - when they install a stainless cylinder, do they use a stainless crane?

Mine after about five years of use. Isn't that a lovely wear mark?

317 crane wear 2.jpg

317 crane wear 1.jpg

Is that an aluminum crane as well? That seems odd. I am not sure about them changing the crane.

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go with the 63, 3".

Trust me on this........

OLG

The 63 I had was a wonderful Pistol! Smooth and accurate. Never should have gotten rid of it. Good luck finding one.

The Charter is also nice, and available.

Here I was feeling all content and now I realize I don’t have a 22 wheel gun. And I have to drive right by the lgs tomorrow....

Dangit.

8 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Personally I am still looking for a 4 inch Colt Diamondback in .22.

They are out there, if you got the $$$$.

I thought I wanted one as a gift to meowndangself when I retired 4 years back.

I found the one I wanted in stainless, NIB......  $3500.

I decided to buy a few other firearms instead, like some Browning Buckmarks, S&W model 41, 

Volquartsen Scorpion, etc.....

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Here I was feeling all content and now I realize I don’t hav3 a 22 wheel gun. And I have to drive right by the legs tomorrow....

Dangit.

So, you're gonna stop in for a bit, ain'tcha...?   :)   

The K frame 617 is a very popular Steel Challenge revolver (even takes a optic and you can shoot it w/ or w/o in SChallenge). There are lots of "things" for these guns ... speed loaders, holsters, Apex hammers etc ...  

It would be easy to unload if it didn't work out. 

I guess it boils down to what you want the 22 for and if you have any interest in a venue to compete w/ it. 

What drew me to cowboy shooting was having a place to exercise and enjoy the type of firearms we use. If I could do nothing more than pull my "single action" out at a BBQ to show it off or take it to the plinking range once a year it would not be worth it (to me) to have them. 

Just sayin ... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Here I was feeling all content and now I realize I don’t have a 22 wheel gun. And I have to drive right by the lgs tomorrow....

Dangit.

I just got my wife's 1965 Ruger Bearcat back from having it refinished.  It was a wedding present for her and the receipt says I spent a total of $44.15 for the Bearcat, and Hunter holster and cartridge belt, 100 rounds of ammo and a package of targets.

The refinish job cost $162. 75 with my veteran's discount.

It's the only .22 revolver I have that can be shot.  Got a Remington Iroquois, two spur trigger Colts and, an H&R five shooter with a spur trigger.

One of the first handguns I bought (actually my mom might have had to buy it, don't remember if I was old enough) was a Smith M-18 and still have it. Factory skinny grips with a Tyler aluminum grip adapter, fits my small hands like a glove. I don't know if they even make them anymore. Love it still.

JHC

This one isn't mine, mine has the newer hammer, but you get the idea. Always loved the K frame, was never crazy about J's.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/attachments/smith-wesson-rimfire-guns/305833d1525473513-m18-pre18.jpg

Archived