SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun ammo

Texas ShaDi

Search for "Winchester low recoil low noise target" loads for sale.  These are a favored load.  There is a $2/box rebate available for them through the end of August.  Even my local Wally World occasionally stocks them.  If you are not sensitive to recoil many standard target loads will work.  I often shoot Remington Gun Clubs bought on sale. 

20 hours ago, ShaDi said:

Is there anyone that sells new or reloads shotgun ammo for cowboy action shooting? 

The answer is... It depends.  

Do you mean Smokeless or BP loads?

BP, the only one I know of still operating is Buffalo Arms. and they are quite expensive.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/obsolete-hard-to-find-ammunition/shotgun-ammo 

If smokeless, It depends on whether you're shooting an '87, a '97, or a SxS, and how sensitive you are to recoil. 

Let's talk 12ga.  The '87 and '97 transfer felt recoil differently than a SxS.  With the pump or the lever shotgun, you can use whatever you can find.  Whatever's cheapest at Walmart will do fine.

With a SxS, you need shells that will fall out of the chambers easily, usually low base brass with smooth-sided hulls. 

The lighter weight the double-barrel is, the more recoil you will feel.  So a heavy one, like the Cimarron, (formerly TTN), hammered double, will transfer less energy to your shoulder.  A lighter one will transfer more... so again, it depends what you have.

Many shooters like something with a lower muzzle velocity, like the Win AA Low Noise/Low Recoil, or the Remington STS Light Target loads.  They will produce less recoil with the advantage of being easy to "shuck".

Save the hulls for when you start to reload, or for those that do.

So, "it depends".

In your shopping, be cautious of steel case heads (they look to be aluminum, but are actually steel) .  In particular, the cheap Winchester Light cases with steel heads will expand unduly and stick in most SXS guns.  Don't confuse steel with nickel plated brass, which usually works through just fine. 

Take along a magnet.  

Archived