SASS Wire Forum

Arizona monsoons are here in force

25 minutes of rain left a fast flowing stream in front of my house with 16" of nearly clear water.  Rain stopped and twenty minutes later there were only a few puddles left in the bottom of the ditch.

I'll give you a report on increased weed growth tomorrow.

It rained a bit here in SoCal this morning. Made it muggy but definitely wasn’t dramatic rainfall. But then I don’t think I ever recall seeing rain here in July.

Monsoon all you want just don't mess with Cowtown.

Rain predicted here through Saturday.

My sister lives in Prescott Valley so I know whereof you speak.  There used to be a club in Prescott called the Sun Dog Shooters, and they put on an annual called "Shootout or Gunfight or something or other at Point of Rocks."  The range was actually at Point of Rocks.  Anyway, they did it in September.  My nephew asked me, "Why do they do this during Monsoon season?"  I wasn't sure why he asked, but I found out.

It rained here a little bit this morning.  We sometimes get the remnants of your monsoonal flow. 

We've been dry all week, it's been beautiful in the high 70's and low 80's, might get a bit warmer this weekend. The humidity has been relatively low for summer 'round here. Northeast Ohio. 

The other day had 3" of rain over night. Going to be a dry weekend for the State Black Powder Shoot. Have had around 38" of rain so far this year, I know that ain't no comparison to the monsoons in Arizona, but wet around here. All lakes in the 2 state area went into the flood stage for the entire spring and summer. Truman lake around 22' above normal pool today and still dropping thank goodness, but that still puts a lot of water in the Missouri/Mississippi Rivers. 90's with 60's% humidity up to the 80%. That's a normal summer.

Well Forty you got lucky. On this side of the mountain (Mingus) they say we here in Cornville are in a rain doughnut. Don't quite know what that means exactly something topographic or geologic that discourages rain to fall here. We did get a light sprinkling a few days ago.

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Rain predicted here through Saturday.

Same here.  The Wild Bunch match this weekend may end early.   The Spring runoff from the Rockies ended a couple of weeks ago and now the monsoon is keeping the Rio Grande running.  Our impoundments are filling up and our farmers will have irrigation water all summer.  This is great despite the impact on outdoor recreation.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

25 minutes of rain left a fast flowing stream in front of my house with 16" of nearly clear water.  Rain stopped and twenty minutes later there were only a few puddles left in the bottom of the ditch.

We had a literal frog strangler yesterday afternoon.  It poured, thunder, lightening and all for about 30 minutes.  When I arrived home from work, there was a dead frog in the driveway.  BTW - the temp was 90 degrees with humidity of 94%.  ICKY!!!

Yesterday was bloody awful, very humid (only a swamp cooler). I'm waiting on a roofer to finish his other jobs and get to mine and the rains are slowing him down. Most days aren't too bad and it cools around 6 or so. We could be back up in Mesa, stuck inside with the a/c on.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, so It's been two days.

I have spent a considerable amount of time since the first part of March spraying weeds.  I finally got my half acre looking passable and sinceWednesday afternoon my weeds, in some parts of the yard, have grown nearly two inches.  I have neighbors who have no weeds at all, or very few.

What can anyone tell me about Ortho Ground Clear?  It' expensive but if it performs as advertised it will be worth the expense.  I'd like some first-hand info on it before I pya small fortune.

Thanks.

I used Ground Clear a good bit when I lived in West Texas , but it never lasted as long as the directions semi-promised. I used it on driveway and sidewalk cracks , and around the foundation of my house. Also along the base of a cinder-block fence.

I think the weeds began to build an immunity to any herbicide. Used Round-Up also , but it wasn't any better , and now it has the bad reputation.

Good luck , Rex :D

Archived