SASS Wire Forum

At the end of WWII

Trying to get organized, going through old family papers.  Stumbled on these two, one each relating to my Mom and Dad.  The one to my mother struck me as something we are not likely to see again - a thank you note from the Secretary of the Navy.  The one to Dad is a copy of his orders, transferring him from France after D-Day to Officer's Training at Princeton.  I had never seen these before; I'm glad that I found them.

LL

MLB SEC NAV.pdf

FWB JR ORDERS.pdf

@Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

Am I to understand from this documentation that your parents were in the NAVY at the same time?

You know what scares me as an amateur historian? Modern communications are mostly done via email.  Very few people write letters to family and friends anymore. They email, text or telephone. Most of this volatilizes almost immediately!  Future generations may not be able to access such documents. :(

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

Am I to understand from this documentation that your parents were in the NAVY at the same time?

They were indeed.  Mom was a WAVE Pharmacist's Mate; Dad was an Electrician's Mate on the minesweeper USS Chimo, serving in the North Atlantic and off Juno Beach on D-Day.  Transferred to Princeton for Officer's Training, Dad was partially blinded in an accident - end of his dream of a military career, but led to his meeting Mom in the naval hospital.

LL

I have my Great Great grandfathers discharge papers from the CSA.:D

Largo

I have a certificate signed by Richard Milhous Nixon hisself! 

Okay, maybe it’s not an actual signature but still.....:lol:

I don't know if it will mean anything to them but I kept my service record when I discharged.

I made a copy of everything and placed it in my service record, then turned it back in.

Original enlistment papers all the way to retirement.  All evals and FITREPS.  Everything - all originals.

My maternal grandfather was in World War I.  Unfortunately, his service records were among those lost in the St. Louis fire.  Luckily, he had the foresight to record his Discharge and Service Record at the courthouse in Brookville, PA.  It showed he served in France during World War I so it proved my eligibility to join the Sons of the American Legion and VFW Auxiliary.

6 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I have my Great Great grandfathers discharge papers from the CSA.:D

Largo

I don't have their discharge papers but 2 of my Great Great grandfathers served in the 41st Tennessee Infantry CSA. I found their grave markers on Findagrave.

6 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

They were indeed.  Mom was a WAVE Pharmacist's Mate; Dad was an Electrician's Mate on the minesweeper USS Chimo, serving in the North Atlantic and off Juno Beach on D-Day.  Transferred to Princeton for Officer's Training, Dad was partially blinded in an accident - end of his dream of a military career, but led to his meeting Mom in the naval hospital.

LL

The same thing happened to my dad. He wanted to go to Annapolis, but his ship was sunk in the Med during WW II and he developed asthma. 

1 minute ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

How in the heck did you wind up in Maine?

Long story. Short version is Navy brat born in CA of TX father and WI mother. Lived in 8 states then joined the Navy. Visited Maine one Thanksgiving about 78 moved to Maine after discharge. Married a woman from Maine.  

Archived