SASS Wire Forum

S & W titanium

Trigger Mike

When the titanium 38 came out, back in the aughts (early 2000s) my gun pusher had to try it out. So four or five of us took one out onto the range and shot maybe a box through it.

I fired it twice. The way Smith slants the forward part of the trigger guard up to the frame

index.jpg.cf2f6457cce33b2c75d3aca332c46212.jpg

(It doesn't matter that this is not one of the titanium ones. The trigger guard shape is identical on all J frames)

As light as it is, it tries to jump out of your hand. What keeps it from jumping out of your hand is the trigger guard hitting your index finger. That hurts. Greatly. I fired it twice, then passed it on to somebody else. My finger hurt too much to want to fire it a third time.

Added: My normal carry gun is either that 648 638 Airweight or a 642 Airweight. If your sweetie can't handle the recoil of an AirWEIGHT, no way would she be happy with an AirLITE.

Price sounds high unless its one of the rarer variants. 

Recoil is snappy, but for a gun that gets carried often and shot seldom the light weight is nice. 

My personal EDC is a S&W 340 (no lock) in 357 mag.  5-rounds of 357 from that little beast will leave you questioning all your poor life decisions that lead up to that moment, 38 target loads are not bad to practice with.

The Speer short barrel load both in 38+p and 357mag are excellent loads for those light weight guns in my opinion.

I have a 442 and a 60 Pro. The 442 is 15 ounces. The 60 Pro is 23 ounces. The 442 shoots .38 +P. The 60 Pro shoots .357 / .38. Both are lively shooters with +P and Magnum rounds.

The “Titanium” is 10 ounces. I have never fired one but I was interested in getting a 36S. Scandium frame with stainless cylinder at 11.6 ounces in .357. I was interested until I met a guy that owned one and he told me what it was like for him. He also owned a 442 and he said it was like the difference between catching a fast ball with a catchers mitt (442) and catching a fastball without a mitt 36S). I passed.

I have a 342PD, Airlite Ti, It weighs under 12 ounces with the stock bantam grips(That I replaced with Craig Speigal boot grips) On a range it will sting a bit with +P .38's. If you ever have to use it to protect yourself I doubt that you'll even feel the recoil.

0zb0NLt.jpg?1

Trigger Mike, you won't enjoy shootin' it much.  I'm not recoil sensitive but I noticed real quick that those light J-frame .38's bite.  My wife, after two shots, gave up her titanium lightweight 5-shot revolver for a steel K-frame .38 revolver with a 4-inch barrel.  She loves her S&W Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" and shoots it well.

I love revolvers and have a modest collection of vintage S&W double-action revolvers.  But for everyday carry, I carry a S&W Shield in 9mm.  Light enough for comfortable carry, reliable, easy on the hands when shooting, and I hit well with it.  Plus, it's got more bullets than a small 5-shot revolver.

56 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm wonderin' why that thing sez "MARCAS REGISTRADAS" on the frame....   :huh:

Because of 'fakes' being made.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/armory/25466-why-does-say-marcas-registradas.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Trigger Mike-What was the model number of this revolver?

OLG

When a man who is an experienced shooter describes the recoil of a pistol as “stout” or “snappy”, 95% of women should not even try it.

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When a man who is an experienced shooter describes the recoil of a pistol as “stout” or “snappy”, 95% of women should not even try it.

That is a very good observation or rule. 

The misses carrry gun is a J frame Bodygudard.  Loaded with 101 grain +P it weights 1 lb .4 OZ.  While the trigger guard bits here trigger finger it doesn't bother her.  She didn't notice the bite until she saw the blood after requalifying for her CCW.  She's not recoil sensitive.  Other handguns she really likes are: 24 OZ Kiber Ultra CDP II 45ACP, S&W 66 with 4" barrel.  She has shot hardcast SAMMI max pressure 357's in the model 66 without complaint.

P.S. S&W switched to scandium when titanium became prohibitively expensive.

I'm not sure of the model number. I was just impressed by the negligible weight, but like to consider other shooters in my life when I buy something as I know I won't be here forever.  I've lost my oldest daughter when it comes to shooting but have another one coming up and don't want her discouraged.  550 seems high to me as well for a half ounce difference in weight 

Traded for one  of these once.  It came with a box of 50 rounds, Speer Lawman .44 magnum.  The prior owner had shot 5 rounds out of it.  I too shot 5 rounds out of it.  It was just offensive to shoot.  So I traded it off...all of those ultra light handguns need mild ammo unless you are into beating yourself up. That gun cured me of the desire for ultralight.  I also tried the Ruger LCR, model 5450, the 3 inch SP 101 is so much friendlier to shoot.  If at all possible, shoot a lightweight revolver and  decide for yourself.

SKU: 163414
Model: Model 329PD
Caliber: 44 Magnum, 44 S&W Special
Capacity: 6
Barrel Length: 4.125" / 10.477 cm
Overall Length: 9.5"
Front Sight: Light Gathering HI-VIZ® Red Dot
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Action: Single/Double Action
Grip: 2 Grips - Wood and Synthetic
Weight: 25.2 oz / 714.4g
Cylinder Material: Titanium Alloy
Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
Frame Material: Scandium Alloy
Frame Finish: Matte Black
Purpose: Competition Shooting, Enthusiast, Hunting, State Compliance

12 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The misses carrry gun is a J frame Bodygudard.  Loaded with 101 grain +P it weights 1 lb .4 OZ.  While the trigger guard bits here trigger finger it doesn't bother her.  She didn't notice the bite until she saw the blood after requalifying for her CCW.  She's not recoil sensitive.  Other handguns she really likes are: 24 OZ Kiber Ultra CDP II 45ACP, S&W 66 with 4" barrel.  She has shot hardcast SAMMI max pressure 357's in the model 66 without complaint.

She’s one of the 5%. ;)

14 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Not correct-

Scandium is used in the frame instead of alum.

Ti is used for the cylinder.

Look up S&W Mod 340, .357.

OLG

When you consider what you are saving in weight between these and a steel J frame, pushing the light weight to this extreme has highly decreased rewards.  A stock J frame is 19 ounces, if you can't comfortably carry that weight, then I don't see how you can tolerate the recoil at almost 1/2 the weight.  As a back up on the ankle, maybe, but those guns aren't intended to be shot except on rare occasions.

I carry a 642 daily and have been for years.  Duty gun comes off and the 642 goes in my pocket.  I barely notice it anymore, but would love to have a 340 PD which has the Ti cylinder and is a few ounces lighter.  I have shot +p ammo in the 642 but opt for standard loads.  I would not want to shoot 357 in of the lighter one, but I think standard loads would be fine.  Whatever you decide I would suggest you practice with it.  We qualify on a 50 round course, most folks could not stand 50 rounds of 357s out of these light guns or even +Ps.  Whatever combination you carry, you should be proficient with it.  I do love the J frames for pocket carry and they will shoot.  You just have to do your part.

BTW, my son is a police officer too. I bought him one to carry as well soon after he graduated from the academy.    

Mi dos centavos.

Tye

1 hour ago, Tye Riverman, SASS #41433 said:

We qualify on a 50 round course, most folks could not stand 50 rounds of 357s out of these light guns or even +Ps. 

Tye, I have a model 60 Pro. It’s 23.4 ounces. I shot a box and a half (75 rounds) of Fiocchi .357 Magnum 142 grain FMJ out of it at a range session. That was punishing enough. I wouldn’t want to do that very often. 

Archived