SASS Wire Forum

Action job on Ruger Wrangler

Lightning Cloud

I played with a Wrangler that was tuned by Curly Bill Kelly of Harriman, TN.  According to Bill, it was very stiff out of the box, but he was able to make it run very well.

After playing with his Wrangler, I've ordered two and Bill will work on them before I ever touch them.

They come very stiff! I put in some 15 pound springs from wolff and cut the leg off the one side of the trigger spring. That's all it took to make them pretty nice to shoot. I still need to do something with the loading gate springs but I haven't taken them apart yet. I may knock down some rough edges on things when I do but I bet everything will wear in pretty good. I don't think they need anything else. They come already free spin.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

now if they would make them in one color, not  two-toned

Here ya’ go!

125F4F97-2888-4D4D-8034-9385E963AC82.jpeg

6 hours ago, workin on alias said:

where'd you pick up the springs.   waiting for them to come in at mt local gun shop for my daughter.   might as well order the springs now.   thanks

I bought them directly from Wolff: http://gunsprings.com/

Part# 17317 for the 17lb hammerspring 3 pack

Part# 17133 for the 30oz trigger spring - 1 per pack

Howdy

I found the 30oz spring brought the trigger too close to 1 pound pull. I used the 40oz which brought it up to just under 2 pound. I didn't want a one pound trigger for new shooters to use. I ordered both springs to try out.

B.P.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:37 AM, B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 said:

Howdy

I found the 30oz spring brought the trigger too close to 1 pound pull. I used the 40oz which brought it up to just under 2 pound. I didn't want a one pound trigger for new shooters to use. I ordered both springs to try out.

B.P.

did you change the mainspring too?

I did change the hammer spring too. I couldn't pull the hammer back with the stock spring duelist shooting. Both thumbs are arthritic. I tried 18lb and a 19lb Wolff springs and both worked fine without any duds. 

B.P. 

I have set mine up with a pair of powers half cock hammers for the single six and slick magic 13 pound vaquero hammer springs and a set of old vaquero gunfight grips.  I have not put that may rounds through them yet but so far the ones I have have all going off with out issues.  The half cock hammers dropped right in and did not require any fitting to work.  

20190731_184440.thumb.jpg.52c4bfe86564c25d67da7aa0591dd6a9.jpg

Hey Working on Alias, heading your way in a couple days.  Praying for no rain next week!

going to order these springs for my Wrangler too.  Is this a pretty easy change out?  Maybe just google “Single six spring replace,ent”?  I think that should be the same?

no idea on replacing the springs.   haven't ordered them yet.  guns still never arrive.   

too bad you weren't here this past weekend.  could've made it to our match.  as for weather.   who knows what it'll be like ... where i live, it pretty much will rain a little almost everyday

53 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

going to order these springs for my Wrangler too.  Is this a pretty easy change out?  Maybe just google “Single six spring replace,ent”?  I think that should be the same?

It's a super simple swap, plenty of videos on the web.  Pull the grips, drop the trigger spring legs, cock the hammer and capture the hammer spring (you will need a small paperclip or piece of wire) then remove the hammer spring and strut.   (take note how the strut is oriented for replacement).

The hardest part of everything is removing he hammer spring from the strut without it flying across the room. (wear eye protection).

Watch a video, you will see how easy it is.

Totes

37 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

It's a super simple swap, plenty of videos on the web.  Pull the grips, drop the trigger spring legs, cock the hammer and capture the hammer spring (you will need a small paperclip or piece of wire) then remove the hammer spring and strut.   (take note how the strut is oriented for replacement).

The hardest part of everything is removing he hammer spring from the strut without it flying across the room. (wear eye protection).

Watch a video, you will see how easy it is.

Totes

Getting the hammer spring back on there ain't much fun either.

• 2 months later...

I did a pair for a new young shooter. Full refit of all internals worked out well. I make up my own springs from various stock to achieve reliability.

The guns were too stiff even for my arthritic hands to start with so they need some work to be fun to use.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:18 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

now if they would make them in one color, not  two-toned

They do, a flat black, unless someone else already commented on this. If you want to know what vendor and how much let me know. 

On 7/25/2019 at 6:42 AM, Chicken George* said:

They come very stiff! I put in some 15 pound springs from wolff and cut the leg off the one side of the trigger spring. That's all it took to make them pretty nice to shoot. I still need to do something with the loading gate springs but I haven't taken them apart yet. I may knock down some rough edges on things when I do but I bet everything will wear in pretty good. I don't think they need anything else. They come already free spin.

Why didn't you just put in the 14 pound wolff springs  that they make for the small frame Ruger?

I just got a pair of Wranglers, out of the box the mainsprings were outrageously strong.  Swapped them out for some stock New Vaquero springs I had in the parts box & polished the spring struts - 200% improvement.  The springs that came out of them were about 1/4" longer than the Vaquero springs &  the wire was a good bit thicker.  They are nice little guns now.

As a side note, make sure you put the hammer strut back in with the "hump" up - if you don't, the hammer pull is way out of whack.  I won't say how I found that out.

Holler

Archived