SASS Wire Forum

Bear, Dog, etc.... repellent

The Bunkhouse Boss enjoys walking around the neighborhood often and on occasion, she encounters a dog(s).

Some are friendly but lately, she is encountering some that are 'questionable', if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, she wants to carry some mace or something which can be a good animal deterrent when needed.

Do any of you know of and can recommend a good spray?

THanks

..........Widder

Wasp spray is decently effective. Very affordable too.

Bear spray that sprays in a cone shape pattern is very effective,  just don't spray it into the wind if that can be avoided.

Counter Assault is the spray I have used.  Worked wonders on a near dog attack one day.

Yeah, Mrs Widder is wants to carry around a 24 ounce can of Wasp Spray with a baton strapped to her hip so she can beat a dog to death in the street...:huh:

Sheesh!

Widder, my boss and his girlfriend swore by this stuff. And if any legal action comes of it the stuff is for dogs. Not humans or marauding swarms of hornets...

https://www.sabrered.com/protector-dog-sprays

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, Mrs Widder is wants to carry around a 24 ounce can of Wasp Spray with a baton strapped to her hip so she can beat a dog to death in the street...:huh:

Sheesh!

Widder, my boss and his girlfriend swore by this stuff. And if any legal action comes of it the stuff is for dogs. Not humans or marauding swarms of hornets...

https://www.sabrered.com/protector-dog-sprays

If a dog is attacking me, I don't care about said dogs condition afterwards. Sheeesh!:ph34r:

There’s a difference in a questionable dog and one that is attacking. I would hesitate to use something as toxic as wasp spray. 

Try this. 

FCA2C439-FF91-4D0A-A3FA-C0E5C50BEB8A.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

If a dog is attacking me, I don't care about said dogs condition afterwards. Sheeesh!:ph34r:

In the age of cell phones, cameras and touchy-feely morons you might be concerned about other things afterwards. 

Also, we are talking about a lady encountering a dog. Not you. 

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There’s a difference in a questionable dog and one that is attacking. I would hesitate to use something as toxic as wasp spray. 

Try this. 

FCA2C439-FF91-4D0A-A3FA-C0E5C50BEB8A.jpeg

The Postal Carrier’s best friend. 

Bears are another thing altogether. 

We do have a dog in the neighborhood name 'Bear'.

He actually looks like a bear with a solid black furry coat and he's one of the most playful

dogs you would ever want to encounter.

Thanks everyone for the input.   I got an idea what I'll look for.

..........Widder

A walking cane or sturdy staff is a very effective tool to have. It is non threatening in appearance but can be immediately transformed into an effective weapon. Ask Alpo as I believe he carries one when he is out with Worthless.

:ph34r:  I sell various pepper sprays for bear and other animal repellent.  Many of my customers use the Saber Red and Counter Assault sprays.  Around town the problems are coyotes and feral dogs.

In addition, a couple carry a 5 iron on their walks......  One mountain biker lashed a sheathed GI machete to his bicycle after being chased by a dog pack near the city limits.

59 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In the age of cell phones, cameras and touchy-feely morons you might be concerned about other things afterwards. 

Also, we are talking about a lady encountering a dog. Not you. 

Actually, no. Like I said. I couldn't care less about a bunch of cell phones, cameras, and touchy feely morons. They liable to get wasp sprayed too, just because. 

And, who sheeshes someones comment/recommendation? I said wasp spray would work in a pinch. Not that its the end all carry item for attacking dogs. What's someone supposed to do, not walk for a week until something comes in the mail? People need to be a little more cognizant of the way they reply to someone. 

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereereeeeeeeesh!

@Widder, SASS #59054,

Perhaps some armor for your pet:

1759871310_DogArmor.JPG.701ed4e905e449159f40ab2fa5693227.JPG

And for me Lady....

1293835162_LadyinArmor.thumb.jpg.8f9a9b3df5f4da422e91e382701b362b.jpg

36 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Actually, no. Like I said. I couldn't care less about a bunch of cell phones, cameras, and touchy feely morons. They liable to get wasp sprayed too, just because. 

And, who sheeshes someones comment/recommendation? I said wasp spray would work in a pinch. Not that its the end all carry item for attacking dogs. What's someone supposed to do, not walk for a week until something comes in the mail? People need to be a little more cognizant of the way they reply to someone. 

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereereeeeeeeesh!

Lighten up, Francis.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

A walking cane or sturdy staff is a very effective tool to have. It is non threatening in appearance but can be immediately transformed into an effective weapon. Ask Alpo as I believe he carries one when he is out with Worthless.

It takes instruction, practice, strength, speed, and dexterity.

How many women (or men, for that matter) have all of those plus the reflexes to move quickly enough.  I favor low tech, light weight, easy to carry and use, effective deterrents such as sprays or shock devices.....and consider avoidance as a great alternative.  Don't go where danger lures you if it can be avoided.

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Ask Alpo as I believe he carries one when he is out with Worthless. 

I used to carry one of these.

spring-billy-club-collapsible-baton-6.jp

While the lower section is all metal, giving you a good grip, the other two sections are heavy-duty springs. When I first got it I experimented. I could cut a 1 1/2" branch off a pine tree. Neither my wood stick, nor my Asp (several decades ago I was a security guard) would do that. I used it twice. The first time, my arm going up and the THUNK THUNK of it extending and locking into place scared the dog and he left. The second time it was another dog walker, and from the look on his face he was getting his jollies from letting his Rottweiler charge over to scare some other dog. Again, the appraised arm and the THUNK THUNK broke off the attack. The man stopped so sharply that he pulled his Rottweiler over onto its back.

Now, since the knees don't hold up as well as they once did, I use a cane, and leave that spring cosh at the house. I walk all right, but I don't stand too good. I generally hold the cane while walking, and use it is a third leg while I'm standing still.

I have used it, like a lion tamer uses a chair, to fend off other dogs. Break up their attacks.

So far the thing that seems to work the best, is to use a loud, clear, PROJECTING parade-ground voice, and tell the oncoming dog  to GO THE OTHER WAY. That has stopped five attacks, so far.

I do not, however, rely solely on my stick. I don't know if THE STORY OF ALPO is still in the archives, but if it is you might peruse it.

I have been dog bit before. It hurts. I did not like it. If I have any say in the matter, I will not be dog bit again.

So yes, I carry a stick. I also carry a gun. And I made the decision, several years ago. If the dog does not break off his attack, I will shoot him dead.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It takes instruction, practice, strength, speed, and dexterity.

How many women (or men, for that matter) have all of those plus the reflexes to move quickly enough.  I favor low tech, light weight, easy to carry and use, effective deterrents such as sprays or shock devices.....and consider avoidance as a great alternative.  Don't go where danger lures you if it can be avoided.

And if you are confronting more than one aggressive dog, which isn’t unusual, a chemical deterrent will be much more effective than a cane or baton.

Pretty much any pepper spray suitable for self-defense for humans should work fine for dogs. 

Remember a dog's sense of smell is many times better than a humans (on average), and they have 50x more olfactory receptors than a human - Halt dog repellent is like 0.35%  Capsacium. Most pepper spray for self-defense is 2% or more (depending on your state laws) - the big cans of Bear spray are only 2%. 

Check your local and state laws before carrying a collapsible baton. 

1 hour ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

Check your local and state laws before carrying a collapsible baton

Good point. Felony in CA. Unless in law enforcement. 

Howdy

My sister went straight for the 9mm option.

I always thought she was a little smarter than me.

A walkin stick is a decent thing too.

Or heck; just take em all.

Best

CR

I only recommend bear spray for bears. Look at some videos ad you’ll see what a huge amount is released. 

As far as a pistol, it sounds good, but a dog is a small, fast moving target. If you train for defensive purposes you probably are shooting at stationary B21 type targets. Misses and over penetration, especially in a neighborhood with houses and people around can be a real problem. A lot of your bigger breeds like Pits and Shepherds can take several hits before being rendered combat ineffective. 

Years ago, one of my officers shot a Pit that had an animal control officer on the ground. It took 2 45 rounds for the dog to break off the attack and he still ran off. He was found dead later. The Animal Control Officer needed over 50 stitches in the neck area. Had his carotid artery nicked and throat nearly torn out. Bottom line is I think the best firearm for a vicious dog attack is a 12 gauge. Not many people take walks with a 12 ga. (Alaskans excepted) ;)

My neighbor, a Long Beach Police Officer was going to work one day back in 93 and I commented on his side arm. An S&W revolver. He said he was giving up on the 9mm. He hit a pit bull right between the eyes with a 9mm round and the bullet ricocheted off the dog’s head and hit the house behind it. The dog didn’t slow a bit and got even more agitated. His partner took out the dog with the shotgun. They were going to serve a warrant in a gang neighborhood. He said he’d never again have a pit bull do that. When I asked about handgun capacity vs power he said he was more afraid of the dogs than the gangsta’s.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rooster Cognizant said:

Pretty much any pepper spray suitable for self-defense for humans should work fine for dogs. 

Remember a dog's sense of smell is many times better than a humans (on average), and they have 50x more olfactory receptors than a human - Halt dog repellent is like 0.35%  Capsacium. Most pepper spray for self-defense is 2% or more (depending on your state laws) - the big cans of Bear spray are only 2%. 

Rooster,  Thanks for the info.

But to make sure I understand what you are saying,  'Halt' dog repellent is the least effective because it only

has 0.35% Capsacium.   Others use 2%.    

2% is roughly 6x more Capsasium than 0.35%.    (0.35 is approx only 1/3 of 1%)

Thanks again.

..........Widder

Tactical shillelagh.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/145312/cold-steel-blackthorn-shillelagh-impact-tool-27-polypropylene-black?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Self-Defense+-+Pepper+Spray+and+Defense+Devices&utm_content=145312

We now have black bear and the conservation department has now finally admitted there is a mountain lion population but probably our biggest threat is farrel dowgs.  They run in large packs until cattle farmers open season on them.  Son was deer hunting on our property when a Rottweiler braced off at him and wouldn't back down. He had a Marlin 1895 guide gun... 

I often carry a S&W 640 airweight with +P jacketed hollow points. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, Rooster Cognizant said:

Also check your local laws before carrying spray.

Pit bulls etc can take a lot. Couple years ago a brother and sister were attacked 100 yds from my house by one. The dog went after the little girl then when the brother tried to help her it attacked him. A neighbor came after the dog with a titanium bat and got it off the kid but the dog then attacked him. After several hits with the bat the dog ran off. A club, 5 iron whatever is not much of a deterrent, I prefer a 1911.

kR

Kimber Pepper Blaster.  Lightweight, concealable, points and shoots like a handgun, and very accurate out to about 25 feet.  It will turn a dog's guts inside out and he'll avoid you forever after being sprayed.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Rooster,  Thanks for the info.

But to make sure I understand what you are saying,  'Halt' dog repellent is the least effective because it only

has 0.35% Capsacium.   Others use 2%.    

2% is roughly 6x more Capsasium than 0.35%.    (0.35 is approx only 1/3 of 1%)

Thanks again.

..........Widder

I may have been generalizing too much. Different spray companies use different marketing.

You have OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) and you have Capsaicinoids. The former is the amount of emulsified pepper oil, the latter refers to the actual heat of the ground up pepper particles. It's possible for a spray to have a lot of OC, but not have a lot of "hot" capsaicinoids in it (though in practice, quality sprays are pretty similar). It depends on how they list their product. 

Some products list OC% and some capsaicinoid percentages.

That being said, I believe dog sprays are limited by law in maximum strength, and that it is possible to buy pepper spray for humans that is stronger than spray for dogs. This is because a dog has so many more olfactory sensors, and a greater sense of smell, technically you don't need as much, so even lower percentages affect them more.

So basically, I think any quality spray designed for use against humans, should also work against dogs just fine. You get the added benefit they work on humans too.

Here is a link to Sabre, one of the popular brands, and their descriptions. Hope it helps

https://www.sabrered.com/formulations-heat-strength-and-law

Archived