SASS Wire Forum

Am I done with SASS?

longcolt 14205L

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

YES-Get yourownself to a match.

Would help us, to know your location.

OLG

Thanks. We are in SE Texas, near Houston. The nearest local group we know is the THSS dot org, that shoots in Columbus, Texas. I just verified that they still exist. (Someone had recently told me that they no longer met, but their site indicates otherwise.) From info in a post on the first page of this thread, I also just looked up the Comin’ At Cha event in NE Texas, in September, which looks like a tempting road trip, as my wife already wants to visit that area, for other reasons, anyway. (She likes shootin’, too.)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played church league softball starting when I was 13.  Then to prevent collisions first base was changed to a double wide base, runner had the white half and the baseman the red half.  OK.  Then steel spikes were outlawed after I had bought a new pair.  Then they changed to each team played double headers.  Sometime you had to wait a game to play the second game.  Zoning comprise resulted in field lights had to be off by 10 PM.  Then each batter started with one ball and one strike before they came to the plate.  After 30 years it morphed from the "real" game I was use too.  When my body agreed I should stop I did.

SASS has morphed in the last 20 years too.  Last few years I wonder if it's worth it for me to continue.  Then the son drove up from Georgia for Wolff's Rowdy Ranger's two day.  We shot the Georgia State together.  That's the reason we joined in the first a place, so the son and I could have a common activity.  

Yea I'm good for another year or two.

54 minutes ago, Rexster said:

I also just looked up the Comin’ At Cha event in NE Texas, in September, which looks like a tempting road trip, as my wife already wants to visit that area, for other reasons, anyway. (She likes shootin’, too.)

If you're considering Comin’ At Cha , get your registration in NOW. They have 385 signed up & the cutoff is 400. Call & ask about refunds if you change your mind.

Just now, Yusta B. said:

If you're considering Comin’ At Cha , get your registration in NOW. They have 385 signed up & the cutoff is 400. Call & ask about refunds if you change your mind.

Thanks, but we would just be spectators, if we go to a big match anytime soon. We do not yet have a suitable shotgun, my wife probably has the correct period clothing, but not a complete leather rig, or period footwear, and I have the gunleather, but not the clothing or footwear. 

I think my wife will re-catch the fever, when she sees another CAS shoot. Then, I’ll buy her a shotgun, and complete her rig and outfit. I may remain at the go-fer-her/support-staff level, or may slowly complete my outfit.

27 minutes ago, Rexster said:

Thanks, but we would just be spectators, if we go to a big match anytime soon. We do not yet have a suitable shotgun, my wife probably has the correct period clothing, but not a complete leather rig, or period footwear, and I have the gunleather, but not the clothing or footwear. 

I think my wife will re-catch the fever, when she sees another CAS shoot. Then, I’ll buy her a shotgun, and complete her rig and outfit. I may remain at the go-fer-her/support-staff level, or may slowly complete my outfit.

Clothing does NOT have to be period correct, unless you're shooting Classic Cowboy and there is a little leeway there even. jeans and long sleeves for you and jeans for her. 

I don't see it your way, I thot this years EOT was the best shooting EOT venue yet,    oh well

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Clothing does NOT have to be period correct, unless you're shooting Classic Cowboy and there is a little leeway there even. jeans and long sleeves for you and jeans for her. 

But clothing should be, or at least closer, to period correct. We need more emphasis on preserving the old west. Without the costuming we could just be another IDPA chapter. In 1893 no one wore shorts, and only miners wore blue jeans.

1 minute ago, T-Square said:

But clothing should be, or at least closer, to period correct. We need more emphasis on preserving the old west. Without the costuming we could just be another IDPA chapter. In 1893 no one wore shorts, and only miners wore blue jeans.

I don't disagree, BUT too many new shooters or potential new shooters are under the false assumption that clothing has to be period correct to shoot CAS. Get them in and then worry more about clothing. 

Jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and non-athletic shoes will suffice when folks are starting out. 

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't disagree, BUT too many new shooters or potential new shooters are under the false assumption that clothing has to be period correct to shoot CAS. Get them in and then worry more about clothing. 

Jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and non-athletic shoes will suffice when folks are starting out. 

If you let them dress that way to start, that is the way they will stay  and no one will give a crap!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

If you let them dress that way to start, that is the way they will stay  and no one will give a crap!!!!!!!!

Completely disagree.  My first couple of matches were in jeans, a T shirt, and tennis shoes.  I was welcomed but gently informed that to shoot an annual I'd have to meet the minimums, and that even for monthlies I would want to 'cowboy up.'  A nice lady even made me an appropriate shirt.  I found some boots that fit and I was off and running.  Now I meet the 5 items needed for classic even when I'm not shooting classic all the time.

It doesn't take much to meet the minimum, and I have yet to see someone who was really hooked on the game fail to meet it after the first match or two.

4 hours ago, Rexster said:

Thanks. We are in SE Texas, near Houston. The nearest local group we know is the THSS dot org, that shoots in Columbus, Texas. I just verified that they still exist. (Someone had recently told me that they no longer met, but their site indicates otherwise.) From info in a post on the first page of this thread, I also just looked up the Comin’ At Cha event in NE Texas, in September, which looks like a tempting road trip, as my wife already wants to visit that area, for other reasons, anyway. (She likes shootin’, too.)

Go watch them. There are great folks there. They will welcome you!

35 minutes ago, T-Square said:

I agree no one "should" wear shorts. Hey! What is wrong with being a miner?

19 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I started out in an ugly black hat, black boots, black jeans, and a denim shirt. Then, I got very Victorian. Then, I got B Western. Tastes change (so does weight, sigh).

The point is that most people evolve into costuming. Even Hubby, who is a jeans and tee-shirt guy outside of SASS, wore Wah pants, band collar shirts, suspenders... One time he forgot his hats to a match, it wasn't a requirement for his category, yet he bought one.

Folks go as little or as much as suits their personality or persona.

11 hours ago, T-Square said:

I think more than clothing and different guns separates us from IDPA.  If you think about it  clothing isn't required to be period correct.  SASS is not a reenactment.

SHB page 2.

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.

Plenty of western series with cowboys in jeans.  I'm fond of more of a Bonanza or the Virginian look.

If conditions permit I do want to try a match or two soon BUT it would be after the upcoming state match as that is not the place to experiment.  I did go with a friend to his personal range on Monday and now feel less like I would be able to handle an actual match again but will give it a try.   Thank goodness I am not in a wheelchair at this time BUT the logistics of trying to drag a tank along behind me, with attached tubing, on shooting stages might be excessive and time consuming!  I am sure it would only be temporary at that.

14 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I started out in an ugly black hat, black boots, black jeans, and a denim shirt. . . . . .

And I bet you looked ravishing, dahlin'. :excl:

20 hours ago, Rexster said:

Go to CAC for sure to get your wife pumped up.  T-Bone Dooley puts on a great match and show.  Everyone is welcome at his table 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I started in my underwear.

UnionSuitCas.jpg

I always threaten to shoot Sunday just wearing my pants over a union jack as if I didn't wake up in time to make the morning briefing...

I remember my first Eot. There were huge tents put up, one was full of poker players w a stage and can can dancers. One had a huge dance floor, bar, and live band. There was actors n a fake town putting on a gun fight. Gun twirlers, knife throwers, trick horse show, singing, dancing, and Hugh Obrien was there. There were vendors as far as the eye could see. It was a world championship! I told everyone how cool and exciting it was and couldn’t wait till the next year to go back. Lots of others went w us the very next year, and it was all gone! I feel for the newbies who go for the first time expecting so much more, but getting the same as many state matches. Folks are getting so serious about the competition that they forget to have fun w it. Yeah, I’m as competitive as the next person, but if I can’t have fun with it, then I’ll find something else to do also. At Black Gold in Ky. We have the hillbilly olympics after the shooting. Take olympics games, etc. and make them hillbilly! Folks love it! We have cooking competitions so the wives can also be involved. We have a hillbilly spelling bee. And other stuff. You can participate or just sit back and enjoy the show. We have 2 live bands, wild bunch, pro steel, sides, team shoot, man on man. So much to do. Everyone stays after the shooting and enjoys the comraderie. That’s how you get to know others. You can shoot anywhere. It’s. The extras that make a shoot. 

I've been skipping the "big" shoots (too much drama) and instead spending my time and money attending smaller shoots.  In fact, I'm sitting in the middle of Saskatchewan as I type this, waiting for the next match to start up.

Try hanging out at local clubs and/or traveling to smaller events, it's sure worked for us to revive the fun, let someone else get all worked up 'cause they think they was robbed somehow:rolleyes:

On 7/24/2019 at 11:31 PM, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

And I’ve heard for 20+ years when someone doesn’t like the current system, go join NCOWS. Please be respectful of someone else’s opinion without asking them to leave.

I don't think anyone was telling you to leave SASS and join NCOWS. I am a member of BOTH. I would encourage you to try NCOWS as you might find the things you have been missing. I enjoy SASS and NCOWS and from what I see of folks comments I can't imagine you not enjoying it. Fully half of the SASS shooters I shoot with are also NCOWS members. In fact, many of the categories at our local SASS club are identical to our local NCOWS club. Many of the NCOWS events happen at SASS venues. I am in no way stating that one is better than the other, just different enough to keep it interesting.

20 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

I've been skipping the "big" shoots (too much drama) and instead spending my time and money attending smaller shoots.  In fact, I'm sitting in the middle of Saskatchewan as I type this, waiting for the next match to start up.

Try hanging out at local clubs and/or traveling to smaller events, it's sure worked for us to revive the fun, let someone else get all worked up 'cause they think they was robbed somehow:rolleyes:

And it was great to shoot with you and Nellie Belle at a few of those small shoots this year.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:13 PM, Rattlesnake Slim said:

We spend pages and pages talking about how to attract new shooters in order to secure the future of our sport, and all shooting sports in general. But yet we are surprised when those new shooters bring with them new ideas, suggestions, and ways of doing things. We can't have it both ways. 

The big challenge is to evolve, improve, and move forward, gaining new shooters while keeping the culture, history, and people upon which this sport was founded.

I believe that End of Trail and Winter Range do a great job of balancing all these needs; as do countless other successful smaller clubs.

Man you hit it on the head for me, in it just over three years now have pitched in locally and complete uphill battle-battling the old ways. I keep hearing it use to be fun, it’s supposed to be fun, we did it this way, we did it that way, I have been shooting for 20 years and never been done like that, etc, etc, etc,

Evolve, Improve, and move forward. Hell if you never evolve or move forward we would be fighting wars with muskets, still use typewriters and carbon paper, have no cable, no cell phones-get the point. So way can’t CAS evolve? If you want the younger shooters, and the ones who will make a difference in the sport that being 35-50 Year old group, then let it evolve. The SHB could be re-done, the RO classes, a lot could use a polishing and updating (IMHO).

BLUF let the sport evolve (never been) but if EOT and Winter Range found the right balance then share it with the rest of us, Cause I for one would love to get a balance at our clubs.

And go……..

Rexster,

There are several other clubs besides THSS near Houston.  Thunder River Renegades is located in Todd Mission, right across the road from Texas Renaissance Festival; a little further away near Bryan/College Station at North Zulch are The Willow Hole Cowboys.  If you want to spend the weekend checking out Texas history, there are the Fort Parker Patriots located in Groesbeck near Mexia.  Come Friday, stay in Groesbeck or Mexia and visit the Fort and see where history was made.  Shoot Saturday, then Sunday visit Waco and the Texas Rangers museum.  There is also The Orange County Regulators in Orange, TX. There also used to be the Brazos Rangers at Angleton, but they aren't listed on the SASS page of affiliated clubs.  Want to ride the train from Palestine to Rusk in east Texas?  Check out the Oakwood Outlaws where you can shoot Saturday and ride the train on Sunday. (If you do it in the summer, get an air conditioned car, but fall (when the leaves are changing) and spring are really great when it is cool outside.)

Closer to Houston, the Thunder River Renegades is my home club.  If you and your wife want to come shoot, please let me know in advance as I have backup shotguns, rifle, and pistols as well as holsters that your wife can slip over her own belt.  We also have practice days if you want to come try things out without shooting a whole match.  Shoots 1st and 4th Saturdays, practice day 2nd Saturdays (except this month). Jeans and shirt are fine as a newby, we're not costume police and make accommodations for those needing it and those new to the game just getting started. We have a couple of people that  can't wear boots for medical reasons, so they don't wear boots.  Most clubs are accommodating for monthly matches, but annuals and state or above are more serious. We allow summer dress when it is as hot as it is now, just no ball caps.  All of our stages have electric fans, and we have both ladies and men's flush toilets.

Archived