SASS Wire Forum

Neat gunshop find - antique reloading tools

Warden Callaway

I don't know why I needed them because I already have a bunch of this "junk".  But the old box and old Dupont powder flask (although in bad shape)  just called out to me. 

1208789103_Antiquereloadingtools1July2019.jpg.7c30851057e090a688d61efec13b8c62.jpg296152346_Antiquereloadingtools2July2019.jpg.e358362eb24f86461e0f37be79e0b32e.jpg

It's missing the priming tool and the cleaning rod. In the red tin box are pistol-like primers. In the little bag are some really odd primers like I've never seen before.  

Just tell Folks this was the last thing saved from Jesse James' front room after he was shot. The shotgun was in the corner of the room and he couldn't get to it.

'

The powder can is Dupont Super Fine HF.  I've Googled it and found many cans of the same grade but none of the cans are exacly like this one.  The can has internal threads for cap that is missing or at least I've not found it.   

The primers are Winchester Num 2. 

The paper hulls are Remington New Club and take the funky little primers in the bag. The hulls are marked "Hand Loaded". 

cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't know why I needed them because I already have a bunch of this "junk".  But the old box and old Dupont powder flask (although in bad shape)  just called out to me. 

I can tell you why it called you--this is As Good As It Gets.  Great Find!   Museum quality stuff.  Wooooooow! 

i think i gotta agree with Kaya - and i dont even know her , but she is a wise young lady , i see why you bought these - they are just cool old bits of a time gone by , you gotta appreciate that quality of equipment as well as the crude components of the developing times , i would display it and my grandkids would throw it or sell it at a garage sale , 

i too am an old reloading tool - and a lot of other things she has not yet thought to comment on but ...i appreciate good quality turn-of-the-century tools they were made to last and work just fine now if you want to take the time to do it the old ways , 

Here is what the old paper hulls look like.  Remington New Club. 

1129984804_OldshotgunhullsJuly2019.jpg.8123bda57e47bc3d5cf420487f2c9f4d.jpg

The primers for the Remington hulls look like traffic control cones.  I haven't measured the Winchester primers to see if they are a modern size. 250 to a tin.

The tools and kit were made by the Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. Best I can find is that it existed in 1880 and sold out about 1906. Somethings are just marked BGI.

Any collectors out there that could add info would be great.

Archived