SASS Wire Forum

Flying with shotgun barrel?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I’m flying to Houston on business and would like to take a shotgun barrel to Briley for choke tubes. Briley doesn’t need the whole gun.  Just the barrel.

Does anyone have a source that can tell me the TSA rules around gun parts?  Everything I’ve seen references guns as a whole. 

As always, the Wire’s help is much appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No restrictions on barrels...

Yes, but I've seen a TSA agent declare an optical scope a gun and deny placing it in carry-on baggage.  Arrive early in case you encounter ill-informed TSA agents.

8 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Yes, but I've seen a TSA agent declare an optical scope a gun and deny placing it in carry-on baggage.  Arrive early in case you encounter ill-informed TSA agents.

I didn't see mention of it being a carry-on.

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I kind of assumed that the barrel would be checked... Don't think that metal pipes are allowed in carry-on.

:rolleyes:

Put a cane handle on it, and the problem is solved......:lol:

OLG

39 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I didn't see mention of it being a carry-on.

No, there was no mention.  However, TSA may identify the barrel as a firearm during checked baggage x-ray inspection.  My intent was to warn the OP that the TSA may consider the barrel as a firearm despite it clearly not being one.

declared it as a firearm,,, locked case and all,, better safe than sorry,,,, and every airport has different slants on the law

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Yes, but I've seen a TSA agent declare an optical scope a gun and deny placing it in carry-on baggage.  

I doubt very much that they will allow, a barrel in carry-on.   To them It won't matter that it is just a part of a gun.  If it could be used as a steel club, they will prohibit it.   Plan on checking it as baggage - and consider insuring it against mishandling loss. 

Gun parts can not be carried on. Great big ole sign at the TSA check point. 

They can have to checked. Given that you pay for extra checked gas( ya gotta love auto correct on the iPad (bags)) these days it might be cheaper to ship it. Given how damaged my gun cases and luggage have gotten flying it be safer to ship it. 

2 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Gun parts can not be carried on. Great big ole sign at the TSA check point. 

They can have to checked. Given that you pay for extra checked gas( ya gotta love auto correct on the iPad (bags)) these days it might be cheaper to ship it. Given how damaged my gun cases and luggage have gotten flying it be safer to ship it. 

I've got a Ruger grip screw...betcha I can put that in my carry-on.

;)

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've got a Ruger grip screw...betcha I can put that in my carry-on.

;)

We should try this. I will inform TSA they missed something. Pretty sure there will be an invasive body search after that. :ph34r:

Phantom"It is just a screw"

TSA guy" Screw me? No screw you"

This thread might derailed now.

Even though TSA has their rules, they are considered the minimum or base-line rules.  Each individual carrier may have additional requirements.  I'd suggest calling your intended carrier to inquire and follow their instructions explicitly.  I know that Delta and Southwest have slightly different ways in which they want firearms packed in your checked baggage, so I would expect that they may have different requirements when it comes to firearms parts.

Archived