SASS Wire Forum

38spcl vs 357 cases, any inherent advantages?

Deadeye George

For three years I've been shooting Frontier cartridge with a 44-40 Uberti carbine and 45Colt Vaqueros.  I have a Cody Matic Uberti in 357 and just ordered a pair of 357 New Vaqueros with plans of shooting Silver Senior to see if I like the smokeless world any better.

I've got several thousand never fired 357 cases I can use but almost everyone I see at matches shoot 38 spcl cases.  Are there inherent advantages of using the 38's that I'm just not seeing?

Any thoughts welcomed.

OLG is right.  Run some dummy rounds through your rifle and find out what runs best in that firearm.  If 38's run well that is  a plus since once-fired 38 Special cases can be bought cheaply and you won't mind losing spent cases in the weeds or under the props.  Your revolvers will shoot 38 Specials just fine.

I'm shooting smokeless at local matches on windy days because shooting the smokey powder on windy days doesn't help me prepare for FC at major matches.  I use 357 cartridges in my '73 because it feeds them most smoothly.

Light loads perform much better (cleaner burn, more consistent pressures) in the smaller volume of .38 special cases.

No realistic drawback to using the cases you have. Keep to the light side with your bullet selection to mitigate some of the recoil. I'd say 125 grain RNFP or lighter. But..... since you have been running some big bores recoil wont faze you any with the .357.

Trail Boss and Unique are both very good powders in the .357 (or any dang thing else!)

For what it's worth, here is what I shoot and why. 

1. I use 38's in both my 73 Miroku Winchester rifle and in my New Vaquero Rugers 
  2. I have grown fond of Chey-Cast Bullets out of Cheyenne, WY. Really good folks and great sponsors of Border Vigilantes. I use their 125 grain hard cast lead, polycoated flat nose bullet. They ship free for any order of 2000 rounds or more.
  3. I shoot 3.5 gr of Trail Boss. There may be just a bit more carbon residue from this powder, but nothing like what you have been shooting.
  4. My primers have been CCI and Federal. I haven't had any problem with either of these. Some people only use Federal.
  5. My brass is from Remington, Star-Line, and HSM (a manufacturer of Cowboy Action Rounds).
  6. I use a Dillon 550 B for reloading and get about 300-350 rounds per hour.
  7. My overall cartridge length is at least 1.45" and no longer than 1.56". This length is extremely important for the '73 Winchester. Shorter lengths will not cycle and too long of a cartridge will cause problems on the carrier. My Rugers don't care as much but get really fussy about the primer depth. I use a very slight crimp for revolver and rifle rounds.
  8. I use vibrating, mixed media tumbler and follow with Ultra-Sonic every 3 of 4 reloads to clean out the primer pocket.

44 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Light loads perform much better (cleaner burn, more consistent pressures) in the smaller volume of .38 special cases.

+10

You will also find some loads available in 38SP that are not available in 357.
For example, IMR Red (burn rate #10),  has a nice BHN=12 load for 125gr LRNFP, that is not available in 357 at all.

Trail Boss is the most bulky of the powders with a VMD=0.2172 and it fills the cartridge space the most.
If you are shooting BHN=9 uncoated soft cast bullets such as Desperado, this is a nice match for Trail Boss.
The similar load for 357 has more recoil.

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The cost difference is only $5.00 per 1000 cases

1000 Starline Brass 357 Mag    = $141.00

1000 Starline Brass 38 special = $136.00

New.

Fired brass in .38 is cheaper and even easier to find than .357

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The cost difference is only $5.00 per 1000 cases

1000 Starline Brass 357 Mag    = $141.00

1000 Starline Brass 38 special = $136.00

Ah, there's the rub. There is no cost difference! He already has  a couple thousand .357s! 

40 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

And you will soon be a collector of free 38 brass when they bring them to you at the unload table! ;)

Actually, that is nothing new B).................... I have been shooting 45Colt and 44-40 for three years and at most matches will come home with half a dozen 38 or 357's..

Look at your brass carefully. You're likely to get some .38 back. Let your posse know you're shooting .357 so they can check the brass they get back. 

use what you have by all means , but i have other 38spcl revolvers that i feed so i tend that way as they were not made for 357 , its all about what you do and the space you have to do it in , in a perfect world id have a setup for every caliber i shoot and full array of powder and bullets in stock at all times , very few of us have that luxury , just find your load and settle in , consistency has its advantages 

Going to do a little comparing tomorrow....... I loaded up some 38 brass with some Trail Boss pushing a 105g TCFP coated bullet, now I need to load up some 357 brass with the same powder and bullets.

Anyone got a favorite Trail Boss charge using a 105g TCFP bullet you wouldn't mind sharing via private message?

Archived