SASS Wire Forum

The good ole days?

I just recently started going through some older copies of the cowboy chronicle from around when I started CAS in the mid 2000s and noticed quite a difference between then and now. Back then it was a monthly product at 108 pages, now they are quarterly and considerably shorter. Granted, print as a media has been on its way out somewhat since then, but some of the bigger differences were easily noticable. The main thing I noticed was how much more advertising there was back then. 

I caught myself thinking, "Man, those were the good ole days," and with discussions regarding that being abundant lately, I was curious what others considered to be the good ole days and why? What made a particular time in CAS more appealing to you? 

This is entirely a point of curiosity towards others opinions.

Back in the day, there was a lot more advertising in the Chronicle. Also the SASS list of sponsor vendors was very long. Vendors attended a lot more state matches than now. The basic law of economics. Large demand, new sport everyone was setting up their gear and guns, fast growing membership. Declining membership, and everyone has what they need. Vendors have gone out of business or moved on.

Ike

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

For me it was when everyone shot factory stock guns except for an action job.  There are very few today that shot that way.

All of ours. New springs and grips is all. Winchester's are bone stock. 

The good Ol' days were YESTERDAY

On 7/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, twelve mile REB said:

The good Ol' days were YESTERDAY

Yep  the good old days. Yesterday, Last week, last year and way back when.

PS; Let me also add that there is a Tomorrow for more good time to come.

My mind travels back all the time and always saying Like the song Cher sang;  (If I Can Turn Back Time).

Memories that I have will never be forgotten but getting back to yesterday it was fantastic.

Well my friends catch you all later some where in time.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

i shoot stock , i started that way back then and will continue to do so , im not getting faster just more nostalgic with the years , i often reflect on what i miss about yesterdays , i think it natural with age , but what gets me the most is what my grandkids are growing up with being so much different , and what they face so much more restrictive , i have been fortunate in this shooting venue to meet so many great folks [i miss them when i do not see them again ] , ive enjoyed a lot of campfires and various dishes [i miss that when it doesnt happen] , ive shot a lot of great guns and some really not so great [i miss a couple i sold but not tooo many] , im still wearing my original hat bought in an antique stor for $5 and im very pleased to say i think it might last as long as me ...but i need new boots , i dont miss my old ones , they hurt my feet , 

For me the good old days were when I didn't creek and pop and curse just getting out of bed!

Vendor shows have been declining for years.  There is more advertising online and that's where people go to find things or research a product or service.  

Every CAS match that I attend is The Good Old Days. Sunday at Norco riding with The Cowboys is definitely the Good Old Days.

Everyday eventually becomes the good old days. I don't want to go back to my pimply faced youth or trying 20's. I'm not enamored with intrusive tech companies or the fake news media, but there is a lot of good out there to enjoy. 

On 7/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Back in the day, there was a lot more advertising in the Chronicle. Also the SASS list of sponsor vendors was very long. Vendors attended a lot more state matches than now. The basic law of economics. Large demand, new sport everyone was setting up their gear and guns, fast growing membership. Declining membership, and everyone has what they need. Vendors have gone out of business or moved on.

Ike

Ike takes the trophy. It’s simple economics. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, Pee Wee #15785 said:

For me it was when everyone shot factory stock guns except for an action job.  There are very few today that shot that way.

That's a pretty broad stroke.  Anything to back that up?  Where I go, I've actually asked people about what they are using and the bulk of shooters are using stock guns with maybe lighter springs and minor action jobs, even one of the fastest shooters around.

Are you really that put out by what someone else is shooting that you can't enjoy what you're shooting?  

Don't go fishing, someone else might have better poles or lures.  Don't play golf, someone might have Pings and you've got those Taylors.

Sounds like you are just making excuses for lack of practice or skill.

8 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Ike takes the trophy. It’s simple economics. 

So what in your opinion has caused the decline in membership and what could we do to change it?

Lately I have been wondering if part of it could be a lack of exposure compared to years past. When I started, the cowboy action shooter program and cowboys were in full swing and played a big role in getting me interested.

1 hour ago, Shifty Jack, SASS #65353 said:

So what in your opinion has caused the decline in membership and what could we do to change it?

I'm wondering if a correlation can be made with the shift from owning a home vs living in an apartment.   When we approach larger cities, all we see is big apartment complexes.  

Anyone here live in an apartment and do cowboy action shooting?   

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm wondering if a correlation can be made with the shift from owning a home vs living in an apartment.   When we approach larger cities, all we see is big apartment complexes.  

Not currently, but in my younger years, yes, though it was considerably more difficult.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Howdy Warden,

Yes, I live in an apartment and if I didn't have a shop to store all the cowboy gear (guncart, holsters, shotgun belts, loading bench, etc) it would be difficult.  The cowboy gear and reloading equipment can take up a lot of room!   Apartment dwellers have space deficiencies that house dwellers don't have to contend with usually.  

Dr.  O. R.

Urbanization is part of it. Demonization of firearm ownership in large swaths of the population is another. Change in popular culture - we grew up with cowboys in movies and on tv - not so much anymore - now it's superheroes, sci-fi, and comic-cons and sci-fi conventions.  The younger generation no longer gets outside as much, they don't want a car, they don't want to own a home. Also cowboys were seen as heroes when we were growing up, now they are often depicted (when they are at all) as oppressive, cruel, crude, toxic males, and brutal to women and minorities. All of that and more leads to fewer people joining the sport and fewer young people. 

19 hours ago, Neuse Rivers said:

Don't go fishing, someone else might have better poles

Clarification: 

Fishermen now use high tech "rods".  "Poles" are where you hang electric or telephone wires (to the small extent that telephones still use wires).  

I haven't stabbed anyone lately, or put a quarter to get my horse rockin, or shot out of a chair but I am having a blast shooting with my family and friends, meeting new people from all over the world and shooting my six shooters. It is all good now and I am sure it was good back then.   Go SASS!!!!!  It is time to go shooting!!!!!!!

Ike was right about advertisers/vendors. In the early days it was very lucrative to be a vendor. EVERY BODY needed every thing, and was anxious to spend their money buying it all. It is now very rare for me to find anything that I don't already have. When a new gadget comes out, I usually buy one.... I like gadgets. The Good Ol Days of the Game itself will never be the same for one simple reason... AGE. When I started, I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, I was faster than a Speeding bullet, and could Stop locomotives with my bare hands. Not so now days, so even though I still like to play the old game, I have tempered things a bit to accommodate us old farts. TEMPERED, not done away with! If you look around, you will find clubs that still play the Old Game. IMO, every one of those matches is the "Good Ol Days". 

Snakebite

Here is a photo of 1 of 4 lanes of Vendors at the Old EOT. On the weekend it was packed and a Cowboy shooter's Mecca for buying anything that you could think of.

06_03.JPG

54 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Here are photos of the good ole days, 2006 (my only trip to EOT)! That is Shifty Jack on the left and Badlands Bud on the right. Add me on the other photo and Old # 4 Mowin' "the lawn."

Those were some fun times.

Shifty Jack and Badlands Bud on The Lawn.jpg

Allie Mo with the YGAOF Officers.jpg

Ol No. 4 Mowin' the Lawn.jpg

46 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS To those who don't remember the YAGOFs, that stands for Young Guns Annoying Old Farts and was the Youth answer to GOFWG. I am only an honorary member as I'm far from young.

Yes, those were the days. 

And you, Miss Allie Mo, are timeless.

Archived