SASS Wire Forum

Gorgeous Redheads

Subdeacon Joe

Just outside the window.  Had to take it from inside, near the television, because if I had gone out to the enclosed porch to open a window without a screen, not only would they have flown off, but I wouldn't have gotten the sun on their caps.

Standing in a deer blind in November, I had one land in the dead tree above and behind me and start pounding.:o

It was like I was in a snow-storm of wood chips.:D

I had to pull the hood up on my parka.;)

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Standing in a deer blind in November, I had one land in the dead tree above and behind me and start pounding.:o

It was like I was in a snow-storm of wood chips.:D

I had to pull the hood up on my parka.;)

Pileated? Seen them rip up some trees right proper.

Except for the hummingbirds most our feathered friends have moved on. This is due to me draining the pond next to the feeder to clean it last months. Then surgery intervened and I haven’t been able to complete the project yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. We get a real variety of birds. Everything from Western Scrub Jays to Goldfinches, Tanagers, Twohees, Magpies And even the odd Mourning Dove. Very entertaining. So was the bear. ;)

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Pileated? Seen them rip up some trees right proper.

Yep. That's the one.

Noisy pounder too.

18 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

We get Downy, Hairy and Red Bellied wood peckers at our feeders. We also see Flickers and Pileated wood peckers around here. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Except for the hummingbirds most our feathered friends have moved on. This is due to me draining the pond next to the feeder to clean it last months. Then surgery intervened and I haven’t been able to complete the project yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. We get a real variety of birds. Everything from Western Scrub Jays to Goldfinches, Tanagers, Twohees, Magpies And even the odd Mourning Dove. Very entertaining. So was the bear. ;)

We get Acorn Woodpeckers (obviously) as well as Downy, Nuttall's, and Hairy.  Supposedly there are Pileated around, but we haven't seen them, but we do get the occasional Northern Flicker.

The Scrub Jays and various woodpeckers have ongoing turf wars, in which a gray tree squirrel adds to the fun.

Other birds include Gold Finch, Lesser Gold Finch, House Finch, and a couple of other types of finch.  Dark Eyed Junkos in season, California Towhees, Spotted Towhees, Chickadees, two or three varieties of hummingbirds, several types of swallows.

Crows, mourning doves, and a few that I haven't IDed yet clean up what the others knock down from the feeders.  

My wife is more or less house-bound, so the antics and interactions of the avians provide her with lots of entertainment.

Thank you Joe. Beautiful birds.

I have a favorite Mockingbird in my neighborhood that I love to hear sing everyday. I have some faraway shots of him but he always seems to be 75 yards away when I try to get photos or video. I have never seen him at our feeders.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a favorite Mockingbird in my neighborhood that I love to hear sing everyday

I can go about 100 yards west or south of our house and find Mockingbirds, but for some reason in the 7 years we've been here I haven't seen Mockingbirds much closer than that, other than briefly passing through.  Same for Blackbirds and Redwinged Blackbirds.  

Archived