SASS Wire Forum

Any one try this -cap holders

Make do

I noticed that aquarium hose fits snugly over percussion nipples (use to use it for cleaning a rifle) and I got to thinking maybe they would fit over caps and hold them.  What I was trying to do was to make a cheep capper which didn't work so well ( the caps wouldn't come loose from the tubing) - But I had another bright idea maybe if  I cut a bunch of small pieces it would help me handle them when capping. So I cut a bunch of small pieces and placed them over the caps. I then  ran them through a cap sucking 1860 of mine. Lo and behold all the caps were easy to put on and held the caps onto the nipples intact after firing eliminating any cap jams. The tubing is just barely smaller than the cylinder nipple area and held the caps in place.  I ran through 6 cylinders and not a cap came off and stuck in the action. This was surprising because the caps were #11 instead of #10 that fit a little tighter, with the 11 notorious in my gun for falling off and jamming the action. Any one try this and if so how did it work for you?

I've read about folks doing what you describe. I'd rather change to some Treso or Slixx nipples and put in a cap rake myself. If it's working for you though I say go for it.

I've tried it, it worked good. I also saw a video where the guy was doing the same thing, but using a small pistol primer instead of a cap. Claimed you could do it in a pinch, like of you ran out of caps or something like that. It worked in his video, but I've never tried it.

For the most part, I'm with the other guys. Treso or Slixx nipples and most cap troubles go away.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Where the aquarium hose would come in handy is over that sixth nipple; real easy indicator to not put a cap on it.

I use a gold or silver sharpie and mark a line on the side of the cylinder denoting which one not to cap.  Lasts the whole match if applied to a dry cylinder but can easily be washed off with soap and hot water.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I use a gold or silver sharpie and mark a line on the side of the cylinder denoting which one not to cap.  Lasts the whole match if applied to a dry cylinder but can easily be washed off with soap and hot water.

I've got 5 Treso's and 1 Slixx on the cylinders of one pair of guns. On another pair of guns I've got 5 Slixx and one Treso on the cylinders. I'm gonna try your method next time; gold and silver look a lot alike after 3-4 stages. 

I've gone to using a plastic screw thread protector on my 6th nipple.

They are cheap & highly visible.

I cut 3-4 rings off one with a thin blade.

Easy to see which cylinder chamber is not loaded.

I take 'em off when cleaning, & put 'em back on when I'm done.

After 35+ years of shooting cap guns, I've shown that you can teach an old Dawg new tricks!

s.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

I use a smear of lube over the ball so it is easy to identify the empty chamber when peeking at the front of the cylinder.  I use all 6 chambers over the course if a match to even out the wear on all the nipples.

Most Frontiersman use some kind of push stick to seat caps all the way down on the nipples.  Without lube over the ball it’s easy to find the empty chamber by inserting the stick into the front of the chambers, then capping the rest. 

Sections of tubing are just one more thing to drop and lose!

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I use a smear of lube over the ball so it is easy to identify the empty chamber when peeking at the front of the cylinder.  I use all 6 chambers over the course if a match to even out the wear on all the nipples.

Most Frontiersman use some kind of push stick to seat caps all the way down on the nipples.  Without lube over the ball it’s easy to find the empty chamber by inserting the stick into the front of the chambers, then capping the rest. 

Sections of tubing are just one more thing to drop and lose!

J-BAR is correct.

You should find the way that works best for you, as they all work!

For years, I did it the way J-BAR does.

Nowdays, I just find the screw thread covers easier.

I load 'em up the day before the shoot, so I don't have any "surprises" on shooting day.

And I use lube over the balls then (But still the thread protectors)

Then, during the match, I use a greased wad, because I have found playing with lube to be (for me) too messy.

So, the bottom line is:

If you find a way that you like, and it works well for you, then run with it.

Don't hesitate to steal ideas from other shooters!

The idea for the thread protectors was stolen from my good pard Coffinmaker.

I've watched him for years & finally decided to give it a try.

TOO MUCH FUN!!!!!

--Dawg

IMG_0101.jpg

When I started SASS aquarium hose was one of the things used to keep caps on as the nipples size was all over the place and replacement was from the makers only.  It was so bad that a Navy Arms Company 51 Navy had a note in the box to check bore size and order a mold from Lyman.  Still have the box and note with most other boxes from the years. Think the date was late 60's.

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 11:10 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I've gone to using a plastic screw thread protector on my 6th nipple.

They are cheap & highly visible.

I cut 3-4 rings off one with a thin blade.

Easy to see which cylinder chamber is not loaded.

I take 'em off when cleaning, & put 'em back on when I'm done.

After 35+ years of shooting cap guns, I've shown that you can teach an old Dawg new tricks!

s.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

I have used these for six years and they work great on the empty cylinder.

Archived