SASS Wire Forum

Best Star Trek TV series?

Chantry

The original Star Trek:  Some great episodes, but chronic budget issues also resulted is some really bad ones as well.

Star Trek Next Generation, Voyager & Enterprise:  Some good episodes, but after re-watching all three, they have not aged well.  A bit too preachy and overall the casts of all three were average at best.

My vote is for Star Trek Deep Space Nine.  I've re-watched DS9 a number of times and find the episodes just as good as the first time I've watched it.

By far the best ensemble cast and the quality of the supporting actors, recurring actors and guest actors & actresses was usually quite good.  One of the actors on DS9 called the show "morally ambiguous" which made for many episodes where right & wrong was often shades of grey rather then the typical black & white of the other series, something I felt made for more interesting episodes.

I agree. DS9 is a darn good series overall. Don’t get me wrong. I like the others but DS9 just has something a little extra. 

I think the original with Kirk and Spock is still my favorite, second would be the Next Generation with Picard and Data. I couldn't stand Janeway in whatever that one was...... but 7 of 9 WOW!!:wub:

I will still go with the original. It didn't take itself too seriously, even when it did... If that makes sense. And enough camp to keep it entertaining, and heck, the bad episodes just made the great ones that much more enjoyable. 

inspspocksbrain.png

Besides, you had Scotty when he was seriously cool.

Scotty.JPG

I loved Enterprise at first, but then they went off the time travel deep end, and lost me.

And the original did take on some social commentary without being preachy.  Not to mention it was  innovative for its time.  I can put up with the styrofoam rocks.

The original series had the best on screen chemistry between the actors, and it remains the best series.

Of the others I liked Enterprise and Deep Space Nine best. Enterprise was most like the original series while Deep Space Nine was different from all the others and did more world building, also liked the moral shading. The episode where Sisko conspires to help murder the Romulan senator is a great episode. 

Next Generation was okay, kind of tepid. Didn't like Voyager. Haven't seen the new one, though my daughter says it is great.

Looks like I'm odd man out.  In order, TNG, Voyager, TOS, DS9.  Never really got into Enterprise, I think because I didn't start watching it from the start.

I will admit that it took me a while to warm to TNG.  The first season, maybe season and a half, seemed have plots based on "If we take Season 1, episode 4, and Season 2, episode 6, smash the plots together, we have the plot for our next episode of TNG."  

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I will admit that it took me a while to warm to TNG.  The first season, maybe season and a half, seemed have plots based on "If we take Season 1, episode 4, and Season 2, episode 6, smash the plots together, we have the plot for our next episode of TNG."  

From what I have read, that is partly a budget issue.  The studio producing a series has to spend quite a bit of money upfront to build the sets, which forces the show runners to do "bottle" shows where they don't go anywhere and use existing sets to keep the episode cost down.  Since most series back then were 24-26 episodes per year, it's pretty much a given that not all of the episodes are going to be well written.

While I think the first 2 years of  DS9 were good, they did have a lot of bottle shows and I don't think DS9 really hit it's stride until the start of the third season.

18 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Discovery has been left off the list.  I prefer Enterprise.

I thought about including Discovery, but my OP was getting long and I doubted very many people had seen Discovery. 

Having said that, I watched the first season of Discovery on DVD and enjoyed it, I'll see if the second season is as good when it comes out on DVD since I am unwilling to pay for CBS Plus.

Original series tops for me. DS9 second. TNG was too much like the Love Boat the first bunch of seasons. 

When Star Trek: Enterprise I thought it could be interesting and have original stories because they could not rehash borg, time travel, or holodeck episodes. But I was wrong. 

Had any one seen The Orville ? Kind of a spoof on Star Trek............Seth McFarland

I like The Next Generation but after the second season. Before Netflix I only saw episodes sporadically or in reruns so I didn’t follow its progress. When I got Netflix I started at Season 1 Episode 1 and watched the whole series start to finish. 

I never cared for Jean Luc Picard. To me he would be a hard Captain to be fond of or follow loyally. Too pompous. He lived in a command silo. 

The first season when Riker pranced through the hollow decks like a Peter Pan character. That really creeped me out about him. I never took him seriously after that. It didn’t help that he looked a lot like a  Petty Officer that I worked for in the Navy that I just couldn’t stand.

I liked the rest of the cast.

17 hours ago, Raylan said:

The original series had the best on screen chemistry between the actors, and it remains the best series.

My dad had a theory that the lead characters of Star Trek were adapted from Gunsmoke.  Captain Kirk was based on Matt Dillon, Doc McCoy was based on Doc Adams, and Spock was a long-eared Festus.  Look how the doctors and the deputies in each show would argue with each other but always had each other's back.

3 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Yes and it is not bad.  While it is a comedic spoof, it does address social issues in a humorous way.

Like love between a robot and human? That was a good one! How about the couple from another planet that are both males? Their home planet destroys females but there’s a planet where some females  escaped! Good stuff !! 

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Had any one seen The Orville ? Kind of a spoof on Star Trek............Seth McFarland

The Orville is what Star Trek should have continued to be. Some of the episodes have been fantastic, like the Season One episode on Social Media.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, Chantry said:

The original Star Trek:  Some great episodes, but chronic budget issues also resulted is some really bad ones as well.

Star Trek Next Generation, Voyager & Enterprise:  Some good episodes, but after re-watching all three, they have not aged well.  A bit too preachy and overall the casts of all three were average at best.

My vote is for Star Trek Deep Space Nine.  I've re-watched DS9 a number of times and find the episodes just as good as the first time I've watched it.

By far the best ensemble cast and the quality of the supporting actors, recurring actors and guest actors & actresses was usually quite good.  One of the actors on DS9 called the show "morally ambiguous" which made for many episodes where right & wrong was often shades of grey rather then the typical black & white of the other series, something I felt made for more interesting episodes.

I got to be an Original Trekki in about Jr. High. For the 60's Star Trek was big medicine for special effects.  It was a quantum leap over Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, etc. Yeah, some were stinkers, but it was kinda like the old Westerns. When it was good it was great, when it wasn't good, it was still pretty good (kinda like sex and pizza) :) . I never got into the sequels much. Watched the Next Generation a bit.

JHC

I rarely watched any of the subsequent series. The original, despite it’s flaws, was a groundbreaking show that changed tv.

In order, I'd rank them

TNG

DS9

Voyager

Original

Enterprise

Never saw the latest one.  I liked how corny TNG was, but the original was just  a little too corny for me.  Enterprise could have beaten the original, but they felt the need to retcon too much stuff.  Also, I'm not a bakula fan unless he's leaping around into other people's life.  Voyager started off pretty rough and I didn't think I'd like it, but I was pretty well invested in the characters by the end. 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

On 7/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Yes and it is not bad.  While it is a comedic spoof, it does address social issues in a humorous way.

The best spoof, bar none. Galaxy Quest!

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Patrick Stewart on the first time he saw Galaxy Quest.

Did you see the video of Stewart taking the “Ice bucket challenge” a few years ago. Hilarious! :)

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Did you see the video of Stewart taking the “Ice bucket challenge” a few years ago. Hilarious! :)

Archived