SASS Wire Forum

How Many Use An RCBS Green Machine

Savvy Jack

I’ll bet you laid in bed at night thinking about how to make this thing work, I would have. Nice job.

Did you mill out the area on your bullet seating die so that you could insert the bullet into the die or did you buy it that way?

34 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Did you mill out the area on your bullet seating die so that you could insert the bullet into the die or did you buy it that way?

That is the one part I had a "friend" machine out. I took an existing 38/357 and had it bored out to accept the .428 lead bullet. 

28 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

That is the one part I had a "friend" machine out. I took an existing 38/357 and had it bored out to accept the .428 lead bullet. 

Good to know. Sure makes placing the bullet a lot easier. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Good to know. Sure makes placing the bullet a lot easier. Thanks.

Thought about checking to see if a Lee bullet feeder would work, would be hands free then BUT then I would need four more eyes!!!

My finished project, modified for 44-40

Modifications (based off memory) to the press to enable use of the 44-40 cartridge cases.
1. Enlarge Case Feed Base Assembly case feed hole (86530)
Rather than modify each Transfer Pawls (86602) for larger 44-40 case rim,
2. Shaved off .043" from face of Case Extension Block (86610)
3. Enlarged Case Transfer Bar small pistol primer hole to large pistol primer hole.
4. Shifted primer hole to the right .043" during enlarging to for large pistol primers
5. Sanded beveled edge of Case Rails back to 90deg. (now have new old stock parts from RCBS)
6. Replaced Primer Transfer Bar Assembly (86758), small primer... with new large primer hole (unknown part number)
7. Replaced Little Dandy powder hopper/dies with Lee powder through die and auto disk (temporarily until I can get a 44 Mag Green Machine Expander Drop Tube ( unknown part number) (located one, now to purchase it!!)
8. Enlarged 38/357 Mag Bullet Seater Guide (86705) to accept .428 bullets.
9. Installed a Redding primer tube.

Existing 44-40 dies used...RCBS "Cowboy" Decapper/resize, RCBS "Cowboy" roll crimp and a Lee Powder Through die with Auto Disk powder measure.
The final product for now: 
https://youtu.be/Diawd9YfcbI
Total out of pocket cost.
Machine - $125
Bullet Seater Die/Modification $35
Redding Primer Tube $15

TOTAL - $175

• 3 weeks later...

Today I adapted the Lee Bullet Feeder to the Green Machine. For right now it is a manual feed for various reasons but I will try to later on get it automated but I don't see that happening. This speed is about as fast as I want to go. I don't want to load fast and I like to look at all four stages before moving to the next case. Today it is set up for  resized .432 200gr Oregon Trail "Laser Cast" Magma bullets down to .428 for the 44-40. Bullet is seated with an RCBS seater die. I can not roll crimp at that stage because I have to keep the die high enough for the bullet arms to feed thus the second seater die. The last die is the Lee seater die I used for the roll crimp.

For bullets with no crimp groove, I will seat the bullet with the RCBS seater die to the correct depth and then use the Redding Profile or LFCD in the 4th stage.

VIDEO

Oh I forgot, 

Well, I was looking for my Lee .428 resizing die when I discovered I never had one. A bit peeved, I wanted to resize some .432 Oregon Trail "Lazer cast" bullets "yesterday" in order to go shoot this morning. Gotta love that procrastination right?

Well, I was using my RCSB lubesizer when I got lazy....decided to see what I could do to speed up the process. Two hours later ( I know...what speed)...I came up with this crude contraption. No plans, just build as I go. I like it so much I may rebuild it with better components.

Go easy on me, I am a rookie!!!

VIDEO

• 3 months later...

Archived