SASS Wire Forum

How Many Use An RCBS Green Machine

Savvy Jack

How many of you guys use the RCBS Green Machine progressive loading press? I figured since it was manufactured primarily for the 38 Special.......

After a few years wanting one, I took the plunge and picked one up a few days ago. After about 30 hours of labor and using words that would make a Marine blush, I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I modified mine, manufactured 6-30-1982,  to run 44-40 ;-)

Why wouldn’t you put the primers and bullets on the other side of the pressinstead of reaching across in front of the press? Just a thought. Interesting looking machine.

8 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Why wouldn’t you put the primers and bullets on the other side of the pressinstead of reaching across in front of the press? Just a thought. Interesting looking machine.

I'm assuming he's holding a camera with his left hand which throws a monkey into the wrench.

12 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I'm assuming he's holding a camera with his left hand which throws a monkey into the wrench.

Yeah but, it seems like it would be easier to reach to the right than across the front with his right hand.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah but, it seems like it would be easier to reach to the right than across the front with his right hand.

agreed.

all part of the learning curve with an incomplete machine I guess.

I’ve seen these reloaders but have never seen one in operation. Thanks for posting the video. How hard is the caliber change from say 44-40 to .45 Colt?

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I dont have enough room on my bench between the machine and the vice!!  I may move it when I get done working on it.

However, I have posted in the past about right hand vs left hand presses. I think handles should be on the left hand side so I can control ecerything else with MY RIGHT HAND hence a Right Handed press.

I operate the handle of my Lee Single Stage press with my left hand and do all of the "work" with my Right hand!!

It is a fascinating machine. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve seen these reloaders but have never seen one in operation. Thanks for posting the video. How hard is the caliber change from say 44-40 to .45 Colt?

Once I made the large rimed  case modification, all I have to do is change the dies and desired powder drop. See video 5 on the youtube channel. This is not a detailed explanation but for now it's all I have.

Below is video 1 of 8. They will all play in sequence or you can open in youtube and go to video 5

Jack,

that's one heck of a machine. I've got a RCBS Ammomaster, and it's been in semi-retirement since I got a Dillon 650. To me, the Green Machine looks overly complicated. I know you said it was made for .38 Spec. but did RCBS not have an adapter kit or something to adapt to other calibers? You kind of sound like me ,,,, "but its not made for it" ,,,,,,,,,,,, (me) ,, "no, sweat I'll get it to work". :D As far as Rt/LT, I pull all my levers with my rt. arm, and put bullets/primers, or anything else with my lt. I guess I've been doing it so long I'm just used to it.. 

11 minutes ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Jack,

that's one heck of a machine. I've got a RCBS Ammomaster, and it's been in semi-retirement since I got a Dillon 650. To me, the Green Machine looks overly complicated. I know you said it was made for .38 Spec. but did RCBS not have an adapter kit or something to adapt to other calibers? You kind of sound like me ,,,, "but its not made for it" ,,,,,,,,,,,, (me) ,, "no, sweat I'll get it to work". :D As far as Rt/LT, I pull all my levers with my rt. arm, and put bullets/primers, or anything else with my lt. I guess I've been doing it so long I'm just used to it.. 

LOL, yeah...I am weird!!!

It is my understanding that RCBS was in the process and designing or whatever but never sold any kits. I still do not have clarification on that. They may have sold 40 S&W kits but I am unaware what the kit would have consisted of. More than likely Dies (powder funnel and bullet feed insert), for I think the 40 runs on the existing rails etc.

Anyhow, I just fabricated a test tube for my large pistol primer feed. check it out!

(cont. accidently hit wrong button. Sorry) I don't remember who it was, but someone made a singlestage and a multistage that you could switch handles on. Don't remember who though. Seems like you've got your work cut out for you though. Have  fun. I'll be following this thread to see how it comes out

Looks like you've got the primer tube feed working. Are you going to shim the hole where the primers come up, and are you going to use a longer primer feed tube? Looks like you might be able to drill the hole out and either press fit or snug fit with some epoxy. Looks like epoxy would work because there's not a lot of stress in that area.

Isom

1 hour ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

(cont. accidently hit wrong button. Sorry) I don't remember who it was, but someone made a singlestage and a multistage that you could switch handles on. Don't remember who though. Seems like you've got your work cut out for you though. Have  fun. I'll be following this thread to see how it comes out

My Lee single stage, the loader can switch sides....but progressives may be a different story!

1 hour ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Looks like you've got the primer tube feed working. Are you going to shim the hole where the primers come up, and are you going to use a longer primer feed tube? Looks like you might be able to drill the hole out and either press fit or snug fit with some epoxy. Looks like epoxy would work because there's not a lot of stress in that area.

Isom

Eventually once I get it all set. 

Keep posting those videos. I love this stuff!!!

14 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

Okay, enough beating on this dead horse!!

Pretty dang cool!! Thanks for sharing. Are you going to use it as your main reloader? I would.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Wanna buy another one?

PM sent.

Yes, now that I am pretty much done testing 44-40 loads, I have settled for a few loads. Right now I have the Trail Boss hopper on but will also have 4227 and another for Reloder-7. I have also settled for a few bullets as well. 

It is not exactly a straight forward modification but proof it can be done!

As soon as I can settle down and get it running smooth, I will give details as to what needs to be modified and the Hellacious adjustments. I am working with a warn-out machine (main parts) so a nicer machine with less used parts or new parts will be better.

This is a great thread, thanks.

I am going to attempt to make a write-up of the mods I had to do. Here is one photo that shows a few.
My numbers could be wrong so make sure you do your homework.

CaseTransferBarAssy.jpg

Archived