SASS Wire Forum

Folding gun carts. Which one?

Dead Eye Jake

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a folding gun cart for traveling instead of using my wood one which doesn't fold.  Most of the lightweight folding ones I've seen are the Rugged Gear brand.  I've heard pros and cons about those and they also seem a little spendy to me.  I saw one on the internet made by Gun Stroller.  Anybody know anything about that one?  Any thoughts, reviews and or experiences would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hard to beat a Rugged Gear cart. But yes, they are on the spendy side. But I think worth it. 

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Rugged Gear 4-gun deluxe.

Been using one for 9+ yrs.

https://ruggedgear.com/shooting-carts-4-gun/

OLG

Promo video

Middlefork Bob,  I like your reply.  I've done that route.  In fact my wood cart is real similar to the one in the picture.  Wish I would have made mine able to fold.

love my RG cart

doesn't have a place to sit down so I went to wally world and got a folding stool for $12-ish.  Bought a padded seat off evilbay and it rides from back of handle over the rear axle.  hold it on with an "S" hook

As I've gotten older my back thanks me each time I load/unload it

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

love my RG cart

doesn't have a place to sit down so I went to wally world and got a folding stool for $12-ish.  Bought a padded seat off evilbay and it rides from back of handle over the rear axle.  hold it on with an "S" hook

As I've gotten older my back thanks me each time I load/unload it

Rugged Gear at EOT had a seat attachment for $150.   The $12 stool is a bargain.

Can’t beat Rugged Gear for ease of use.   Lots of storage and collapses down to a nice size.  Yes, they’re pricey, but good equipment tends to be that way.  

I have the 4 gun cart and had some holsters made up for the center stirrups to hold my pistols.  Works great!

040A71D4-9FFB-4D2A-853D-7B91C9F5AE66.thumb.jpeg.beae344607741abb1acd5d69f0e6451a.jpeg

1D62D3D1-9FD4-4AB2-9DA5-D93086849442.jpeg

I have to say Rugged gear. I had a 2 gun cart that got converted to a 4 gun when my wife began shooting...needed more room and bought the larger 4 gun cart much better for the two of us. Then I began shooting cap guns so again room was limited. That said I bought a jogging stroller and set it up so I can carry all of my paraphernalia and use as a  loading station. Now we each have plenty of room. My friend bought the original cart from me and he is likes it. You might try posting on the classifieds someone may have one for sale.

Hochbauer

Yes, mustang woodcrafters is well built furniture. 

And just to stir the pot on the wire, the rugged gear product lacks any resemblance of historical accuracy.

Corduroy nylon fabric, plastic handles and inserts, zippers.......almost as bad as "summer dress" with short pants, short sleeve shirts, blue jeans (only miners worn denim),  and belt loops......

Rugged Gear carts are GREAT unless size is important. Even folded with the wheels off the take up quite a lot of room.     GW

53 minutes ago, T-Square said:

And just to stir the pot on the wire, the rugged gear product lacks any resemblance of historical accuracy.

Corduroy nylon fabric, plastic handles and inserts, zippers.......almost as bad as "summer dress" with short pants, short sleeve shirts, blue jeans (only miners worn denim),  and belt loops......

Dang, I just spent hours looking through a bunch of photos for old west gun carts...saw some big old wagons...horses of course...no gun carts.

Perhaps you have SASS confused with something other than a fantasy shooting game...???

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah... If yer looking for furniture.

How’s this?

153C4EA5-44C7-4E7C-A75D-BBB8A26EFB76.jpeg

E71B99FD-02F7-4331-9EB3-CCB1B67225EA.jpeg

1C8F0AD8-CA0C-4667-BC0F-607C94F5C69A.jpeg

E471899C-9D8B-43A3-9271-171AB24380DF.jpeg

87E9D964-DF49-4CA3-962A-B1C6646A3058.jpeg

B1839B45-B0E9-4604-A8F4-4EA7A3411493.jpeg

1 hour ago, T-Square said:

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Dang, I just spent hours looking through a bunch of photos for old west gun carts...saw some big old wagons...horses of course...no gun carts.

Perhaps you have SASS confused with something other than a fantasy shooting game...???

Phantom

T Square in Australia we would call that leading with your chin and Phantom accepted your kind offer and put the shot away for 3 points:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Best work around... Unless yer looking for a fold up.;)

You make the best looking carts around Yul:D

They kinda fold up.

Still plannin on usin my wood made cart for local matches.  It's big and heavy but will hold six long guns which will work well when my better half decides to start shooting.  Just need something that will fold and take up less room when traveling a long distance.  My wood cart rides on the back of the flatbed.  We're heading to The Show Me Shootout in Missouri in September and then to Branson for a few days.  I didn't want the wood cart ridin around Branson on the back while we're there.  Looked at the Gun Stroller but not sure about the open tray, although it looks to fold up pretty small. So I'm considering the Rugged Gear 4 gun Deluxe, pretty seriously.  Thanks again for all of the replies, pardners.  Been a great help.

Phantom, since nobody had camera phones in the old west, I would suggest the photographic history is missing a few links and possibly even more missing selfies.

One could reasonable assume the old west had plenty of wooden handcarts, but since photography was limited to General Grant, President Lincoln, Geronimo and the Railroad, no cowboy handcarts found their way into history. (Keys: reasonable and assume)

The Government could have had cordura nylon but was hiding it from the American public. We just don't know when the Deep-State actually started. Or it could have been the Russians.

4 hours ago, T-Square said:

Phantom, since nobody had camera phones in the old west, I would suggest the photographic history is missing a few links and possibly even more missing selfies.

One could reasonable assume the old west had plenty of wooden handcarts, but since photography was limited to General Grant, President Lincoln, Geronimo and the Railroad, no cowboy handcarts found their way into history. (Keys: reasonable and assume)

The Government could have had cordura nylon but was hiding it from the American public. We just don't know when the Deep-State actually started. Or it could have been the Russians.

Really...wow...thanks for the history lesson on camera phones. Quite enlightening!

But remember that we are first and foremost a Fantasy Shooting Game. That said, we also pretty much "exist" during the "Old West". This time period followed the Civil War and generally ended in the very early 20th Century. Photography had become pretty common during this time.

Now back to the silly world of Wooden Gun Carts (not handcarts). There were NO GUN CARTS during the Wild West days. Sorry to bust yer bubble on that one. Having a "Period Correct" anything is not a SASS necessity...and certainly having a "Period Correct" item that never existed during the "Period" is nothing but fantasy. 

So do whatcha want...I don't care and I know of no one that would care. If lugging a big old heavy wooden cart around floats yer boat, go for it. But leave the "Period Correct" argument/position/perspective/etc, out  of the discussion.

Phantom

Started with some good ole wooden carts that I made.

Got to tell you. As I got older, back pain, joint pain and just plain tired and wore out

by the time the stages was over. Those easier to push carts makes it better and easier

on this poor old feller. 

Now I really appreciate those carts like Yul Lose makes. They look great. But not for me to load and unload

and push around on rough ground.

Ended up with Rugged Gear carts. the 3 gun for me. Wife got a 4 gun. The 3 gun is much easier to push around.

Sold my 3 gun when I stopped shooting for awhile.

Now that I started back. Needed another cart. Did not want to spend on another rugged gear. Had a old twin baby

jogger stuffed in my old cow barn that I got on the side of the road. Dusted it off.

$25 bucks later I have a really easy to push cart that is easy to load in the truck.

i have an older rugged gear that i use for sporting clays , bought most recent - used at $100 it was worth every penny and yes ive done a little mod to make me happy [umbrella , cigar holder, bottle holder for water] but its old [like me] and not so pretty as those $600 units , still works fine and i like my front wheel arrangement far better , 

when i started i was shooting three gun - i had converted a bag boy golf cart to a gun cart - it still folds up quite nice and compact and it aint heavy its my friend , i started SASS with that - made a couple mods , still using it because i can hold four long guns and four revolvers in my setup quite nicely along with the days ammo , and the tokens for meals -kleenex-pack of gum-wipes-fire-cigars-tools-umbrella , i also have a brass picker and a collector , a clearing rod and sometimes ill have a stool to perch on but not often , it sports my clip knife , glasses , ear plugs , and life badge just in case anyone questions why i am there , sometimes i have a few bucks in there and spares of the really small items ...oh and bandaids 

and a water bottle 

Thanks for the recent replies and ideas.  All are much appreciated.

Archived