SASS Wire Forum

Mission accomplished, teaching cooking to grandson

My grandson, Sebastian, 16, will one day need to provide for himself, can’t just order pizza every night, nor does he want to. He has been experimenting with cooking some things.

today I visited with the stated purpose of teaching him how to make chicken soup. There are many ways to do it , we discussed “rotissary chicken “ vs raw chicken which is what we did. I also taught him the skill of butchering a chicken.

two photos

No actual fingers were harmed in the filming of this event.

39CB6A75-8410-4230-BEFB-B42AC651CC33.jpeg

C00E54DA-72BF-407B-A8A4-79B4BC4AA0F0.jpeg

Congratulations!

That is one of the best things you could do for him.

When I was quite young, I saw on (most likely) a sitcom where they were making chicken soup.

They had a whole raw chicken and tea pot full of boiling water. One of them held the chicken over a bowl while the other one poured water in the neck hole, and it came streaming out the other end.

For years I thought that was how you made chicken soup. The only soup Mama made was vegetable beef. Chicken soup came in a can marked Campbell's. :P

Edit: I think I remember. Julia. 1960s, black nurse working for a white GP in a white neighborhood. The doctor had a cold, and wanted Jewish penicillin. Julia said no problem - she had a can in the cupboard. And the doctor pitched a bitch. He didn't want CANNED soup. He wanted REAL chicken soup, made from a chicken.

I taught my son to cook at about age 11. He discovered in college that the quickest way to get a woman’s attention was a home cooked meal. He started to teach his three year old twin boys to cook at age two He has a Twitter following of over 7k followers who wait for the next video of “cooking with twinzers”

Yep before I left for the Navy I had my Grandma :wub: teach me the basics with special emphasis on milk gravy. After all it is the key ingredient in sausage, biscuits and gravy. ;)

It started years ago, I made pancakes or waffles for family breakfast, soon when his mom was making pancakes, he asked if she could put cinnamon in it “like grandpa did”. Then when ordering mac&cheese he asked the waitress if they could put crumbs on top.

later I heard he liked clam chowder, I visited and we made clam chowder, starting with live clams.  Later we made his birthday cake. Then his mom took him to some classes like “mommy and me make cookies” later cupcakes.

when I took Samantha and Sebastian to Russia, I rented apartments and he cooked breakfast.  (I usually bring my own frying pan and knives.)

Both grandsons can cook, but they're both Eagle Scouts, and their Dad is a good cook.  #1 just wants the food, but #2 would watch, assist, and make suggestions.

I started cooking when I was about 10, I think.  Eggs, bacon, mashed potatoes, that sort of thing.  By 12, and watching The Galloping Gourmet every week, I was fixing dinner two or three nights a week for the family.

When I married Lisa I started trying to teach her kids how to help in the kitchen - they were around 5 and 6.  Girl didn't really take to it (although after she moved out she would sometimes call and ask me how to make something), the boy took to it like a fish to water and by the time he was about 14 could make some fine meals.

I also used to watch The Galloping Gourmet. I don’t know how much I learned but it didn’t matter. My Mom would not let me help in the kitchen. 

I taught myself to cook years later. My wife and I basically learned together when we got married. 

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My grandson, Sebastian, 16, will one day need to provide for himself, can’t just order pizza every night, nor does he want to. He has been experimenting with cooking some things.

today I visited with the stated purpose of teaching him how to make chicken soup. There are many ways to do it , we discussed “rotissary chicken “ vs raw chicken which is what we did. I also taught him the skill of butchering a chicken.

two photos

No actual fingers were harmed in the filming of this event.

39CB6A75-8410-4230-BEFB-B42AC651CC33.jpeg

C00E54DA-72BF-407B-A8A4-79B4BC4AA0F0.jpeg

Too many carrots for my taste.   I also use a bit of garlic and a half teaspoon of HP brown sauce for the flavor.

Looks might good the way you do it though.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Too many carrots for my taste.   I also use a bit of garlic and a half teaspoon of HP brown sauce for the flavor.

Looks might good the way you do it though.

Maybe,  I just use the mirepoix ratio, 2:1:1 onion, carrot, celery.  Cam makes it look like more carrot.  Used spiral pasta as the starch item.

My wife taught our son how to cook, clean and wash his own poo-poo undies.
And to not get married for the above reasons.

Today, I teach the 2 1/2 year old grandson how to make the perfect pot of coffee.
He is thrilled to be involved in this.
We count the number of scoops and he takes great pride in making the breakfast brew.

I have a lot of happy memories of being in the kitchen with my grandma.  Grandma was really impressed when I made a pot of my home brewed chili at her house for a family gathering.  The picture is of me cubing my beef for a chili cookoff.

Archived