SASS Wire Forum

Any 20ga shooters out there?

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys, if one finds himself with two 20ga coach guns on hand, would they be worth reloading for as SASS match guns?  Not a competitor, per-say,  just would be doing it for the fun!  One of the two is a 20ga Stoeger that I gave to me little ole Mother many years ago as a birthday gift.    

We have several in the area that compete with 20 ga . Load them up and have fun

A lot of reloaders only load 7/8 oz in the 12 ga. I'm not sure that the target would know the difference between 12 or 20. For me, when loading smokeless, no problem. Getting that much BP or sub in a 20ga is a challenge. I'm going to try overpowder cardboard and fiber wads next. Or maybe just shoot 20 in smokeless and 12 in BP? Still working on it.

I will say that it takes a little more umph to shuck a 20ga shell because it weighs considerably less than a 12.

My daughter Kaya shoots a 20 and wouldn't trade to a 12 for nuthin. If you cut the middle legs out of a WAA20 wad and use the gas seal and shot cup only you can get 50 grains by volume BP or sub in it. She uses AA and STS hulls with the STS being a favorite. And they just fall out of her gun.

I do and it seems to me I'm seeing more of them show up this year.  One problem is the AAs and STSs are generally harder to find than the 12 gauge variety.  I've got 12s too, but the 20 just feels and points better for me.  (That may just be that I've used it longer, I don't know).  I'm using a 3/4 oz. shot load and the targets still go down when I hit them. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Most factory 20Ga "Target" ammo has a bunch of recoil.  Reloaded, a 20 is a sweetheart.  Go for it.

This!

Well I am thinking the Stoeger 20 weighs in at about the same as their 12ga but there are some that actually used a smaller frame frame.  How about the 16ga, can components be found for loading these old soldiers for the holy black?  It is my imagination, I'm sure, but some of these older guns actually seem to look the part more than our modern offerings!    

39 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

How about the 16ga, can components be found for loading these old soldiers for the holy black?  It is my imagination, I'm sure, but some of these older guns actually seem to look the part more than our modern offerings!    

You might not find much at retail locations, but there are a number of suppliers online where you can get 16g components:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com

http://www.grafs.com

https://www.precisionreloading.com/

And you can get Magtech brass hulls for 16g relatively cheaply

3 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Well I am thinking the Stoeger 20 weighs in at about the same as their 12ga but there are some that actually used a smaller frame frame.  How about the 16ga, can components be found for loading these old soldiers for the holy black?  It is my imagination, I'm sure, but some of these older guns actually seem to look the part more than our modern offerings!    

I get my 16 gauge smokeless components from Ballistic Products or from those that gave up on the 16 gauge and went to 12 gauge. Use 14 gauge overshot cards and wads if you go BP.

Yes you can load the Sweet 16 with Black .....

I have been doing just that using Wind-Jammer plastic wads using 1oz. Shot over 3.4 CC of Goex 3F in Federal "Game Load" plastic Hulls ...

Takes down targets right Now ...

Jabez Cowboy

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I find that custom reloading the 20 ga to lower recoil than the standard low noise low recoil helps my upper back problems.  My upper back definitely feels the 12 ga reloads more.

So if anyone wants to get rid of their Winchester AA 20 ga hulls please contact me.

Both my wife and I shoot 20 gauge Stoeger SxS. I reload for them also. Load 7/8 oz. for me, and a lighter 3/4 oz load for her using Unique. Don't find it any more difficult loading 20 ga. then 12 ga. Best part is a few other pards we shoot with shoot 20 gauge also using Winchester AA shells. They don't reload. They give all their spent hulls to me. I have enough hulls to last me many many years.....

Archived