SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1873 'In the White'. Can't find info on it. Real or fake?

IrishPsych

Hi All, 

I've been eyeballing a 45lc lever action 20" with loading gate and octagon barrel, brand not specific. I also don't really know that much difference from a 1873 or '92. I have a 45lc revolver and cast/reload and figure I'll stick to a 45lc in lever. 

I came across a winchester 45lC on gunbroker and it states it's 'in the white' from factory. I haven't been able to get much info on this model. Is it worth it? Usually sells for around $1200. 

pix578660407.jpg

That is a Winchester mane by Miroku in Japan and being offered by CDNN in Texas. Go to their web site and see many more uniques finish, low or one digit serial number guns for sale. Kinda neat!

I assume you are new to cowboy shooting?  If so, welcome.  The 1873 is more desirable than the 1892 for this game.

It looks a lot like the rifles that Winchester made for Navy Arms, prior to the color casehardened finish being applied to the frame.  The Navy Arms rifles had octagon barrels and a flat buttplate.  And nice wood.

I’ve seen a couple of Uberti rifles with the “in the white” finish.  I’m uncertain whether they are bare steel or whether there is some sort of protective finish applied.

You might want to price check the Winchester “catalog” rifles to get a baseline comparison.

You can get a "white" 73 from both Winchester and Uberti (Taylors).  All the ones I have seen at the loading table on the used rack had signs of surface rust.  Not sure how much maintenance it takes to keep it rust free...

If I wanted another color rifle, I think I would Cerakote it.  I have seen some purdy rifles recently that had been Cerakoted.

Totes

Both of my Uberti '73s (From Taylor's) are in the white.  At the factory they do the normal bluing but then polish off the very outer layer.  You get the same (minimal) protection it just looks like stainless steel. 

One of my .38/.357 (Uberti) Cody Matics is in the white finish. I don't think it requires any more care than a blued rifle, though I try to wipe mine down with an oil cloth after each use. I do have a couple small spots of rust at the muzzle and on the side of the hammer. Probably rub off with some scotch brite, but have not done that. The rifle is two years old and has been well used, maybe 75 matches. Gotten wet a number of times. I just ordered another in 45C.  

local shop had a used cowboy edition 20" marlin in 38 special. Previous owner had a trigger job done and safety block. very smooth, wanted 

$950. I kind of wanted to stick with a 45lc and not get into another caliber but that sure felt nice. 

20 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

One of my .38/.357 (Uberti) Cody Matics is in the white finish. I don't think it requires any more care than a blued rifle, though I try to wipe mine down with an oil cloth after each use. I do have a couple small spots of rust at the muzzle and on the side of the hammer. Probably rub off with some scotch brite, but have not done that. The rifle is two years old and has been well used, maybe 75 matches. Gotten wet a number of times. I just ordered another in 45C.  

Get a tube of Flitz Knife - Metal polish. Works great to remove rust and protect surface on blue and white finish firearms.

A nearly new Uberti Yellowboy 45lc 24" just popped up locally for less than half the new price. I'd prefer the 20" barrel but I can't pass that deal up. I could always trade someone down the line if I needed to. 

I got some metal polishing stuff for chrome from the  Chemical Guys.  Works ok.

Search the web  Chemical Guys polish or chrome or what ever.

JRJ

On 7/22/2019 at 8:24 AM, IrishPsych said:

Hi All, 

I've been eyeballing a 45lc lever action 20" with loading gate and octagon barrel, brand not specific. I also don't really know that much difference from a 1873 or '92. I have a 45lc revolver and cast/reload and figure I'll stick to a 45lc in lever. 

I came across a winchester 45lC on gunbroker and it states it's 'in the white' from factory. I haven't been able to get much info on this model. Is it worth it? Usually sells for around $1200. 

pix578660407.jpg

You might go ahead and ask at Pioneer Gun Works for a 73 in the White. They have some in the white.

73+pistol+grip+white.jpg

Archived