SASS Wire Forum

Springs for Ruger New Vaquero

Mountain Wolf

I have a pair of New Model Ruger Vaqueros I am looking to upgrade with a spring kit. Which would serve me best? The guns are stock, no work done. .38 caliber.

I put the 30/17 spring kit in my rugers when they were stock. 

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

Have since gone to 15lb hammer springs, but I shoot only Federal primers and my pistols have been "adjusted" by Lassiter, so no transfer bar, etc.  You can even find 13 lb hammer springs (Longhunter I think?) Or slick McCade's web site.  '

I'm not an expert but I think for stock revolvers, 17 lb hammer is about right. 

slickmagicguns.com will have 13lb hammer springs, superlight ejector rod springs and competition trigger return springs sold as a set by mid week. You can purchase them individually now. All cowboy made and cowboy owed business.

11 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

I put the 30/17 spring kit in my rugers when they were stock. 

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

Have since gone to 15lb hammer springs, but I shoot only Federal primers and my pistols have been "adjusted" by Lassiter, so no transfer bar, etc.  You can even find 13 lb hammer springs (Longhunter I think?) Or slick McCade's web site.  '

I'm not an expert but I think for stock revolvers, 17 lb hammer is about right. 

For the OMV.........;)

OP is ask'n about NMV.

OLG

2 hours ago, Joe Burr, SASS#12614 said:

Good timing on this thread, I'm in the same boat and in need of spring kits for my NM Vaquero's. There appears to be plenty of videos on disassembly and reassembly on Youtube....any favorites out there specific for spring replacements?

To change OMV/NMV springs, all you need to do is remove the grips. ;)

If you can change batteries in a flashlight-You can change those springs. :lol:

Never had any issue with Wolff springs.

OLG

I also shoot Ruger New Vaquero, .357/.38.  Wolf's web site says the standard Ruger hammer springs are 23 lb. Someone on here, Lumpy I think, said that is out of date. In any case, I took out the stock springs and installed Wolf Springs 17 lb. They do feel lighter than what I had. I still use the transfer bar. I don't need a super light spring and I don't want any misfires from light hammer strikes. So 17 lb works just fine for me. 

3 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

I also shoot Ruger New Vaquero, .357/.38.  Wolf's web site says the standard Ruger hammer springs are 23 lb. Someone on here, Lumpy I think, said that is out of date. In any case, I took out the stock springs and installed Wolf Springs 17 lb. They do feel lighter than what I had. I still use the transfer bar. I don't need a super light spring and I don't want any misfires from light hammer strikes. So 17 lb works just fine for me. 

Call Wolff directly and ask them to pull the springs from the same lot run.

There is some variance from lot to lot.

The 23 lb hammer spring is factory for the OMV.

OLG

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

For the OMV.........;)

OP is ask'n about NMV.

OLG

OLG, thank you for pointing this out. Wrong link for sure. 

I know several people with very strong hands who have gone back to stock springs in New Vaqueros, to take advantage of primer hit dependabity and faster lock response time.   I've never measured it, but I actually can hear the difference in lock time between theirs and my NVs (with 15# springs), if I pull both triggers together.  For their level of shooting speed, the lock time became important.  For mine, less so.  

My problem is holding the muzzle steady enough when pulling the heavier springs.  Lock time improvement won't overcome misses.  

Just adding this thought to the discussion. 

I just put new springs in my OMV. I bought several sets as I wanted to play with tighter springs. 

I had 15lb springs that had a few coils cut off them in my pistols. After some playing around I ended up with 17lb springs cut a little. There is a considerable difference in the lockup speed, I’m still getting used to the stiffer springs. 

8 hours ago, P.R. Undertaker said:

I just put new springs in my OMV. I bought several sets as I wanted to play with tighter springs. 

I had 15lb springs that had a few coils cut off them in my pistols. After some playing around I ended up with 17lb springs cut a little. There is a considerable difference in the lockup speed, I’m still getting used to the stiffer springs. 

OMV came stock with 23 lb hammer springs.

I'm surprised your OMV would pop a primer with cut down 15 lb springs.

Remember-Those 17lb springs will 'settle' some from cycling.

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I've wondered if spring settling is the same endpoint  as using a lighter designed spring.  You can reduce the spring power by just leaving a gun cocked, but does anybody know if other spring parameters, like response time or crispness, also are changed? 

Is there a spring engineer out there who could clarify? 

20 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I've wondered if spring settling is the same endpoint  as using a lighter designed spring.  You can reduce the spring power by just leaving a gun cocked, but does anybody know if other spring parameters, like response time or crispness, also are changed? 

Is there a spring engineer out there who could clarify? 

Call Wolff Gunsprings, Monday.

Guarantee you, they will have the answer......-_-

All springs take a 'set', from being cycled.

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OMV came stock with 23 lb hammer springs.

I'm surprised your OMV would pop a primer with cut down 15 lb springs.

OLG

My OMV’s have the transfer bars removed, and would only reliably set off Federal primers.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I know several people with very strong hands who have gone back to stock springs in New Vaqueros, to take advantage of primer hit dependabity and faster lock response time.   I've never measured it, but I actually can hear the difference in lock time between theirs and my NVs (with 15# springs), if I pull both triggers together.  For their level of shooting speed, the lock time became important.  For mine, less so.  

My problem is holding the muzzle steady enough when pulling the heavier springs.  Lock time improvement won't overcome misses.  

Just adding this thought to the discussion. 

Sort of related/interesting: I believe the famous  Jerry Miculek actually uses heaver than stock trigger return springs in his S&W double action revolvers. His finger is so fast he needs the heaver spring to reset fast enough to keep up. Most of us don't have that problem...   

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Does anybody know the hammer spring tension for NM Vaquero and NM Single-Six?
I'm understanding these are 17 lbs from the factory, looking for confirmation.

Have you contacted Ruger???

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Does anybody know the hammer spring tension for NM Vaquero and NM Single-Six?
I'm understanding these are 17 lbs from the factory, looking for confirmation.

I measured my two NMVs, right out of the orig. box.  One was 18#.  The other was 21#.  

And when I actually measured most of the commercially available NMV springs, I find a lot of variation from all makers.  So now I have a ziploc bag half full of various tension NMV springs, many unmarked now.  But I always test spring tension anyway, so it doesn't matter. 

Bottom line, just because the package says it contains ten 15# springs doesn't mean all of them are 15#, unfortunately.   

Just finished slicking up my pair of new model Vaquero's. After deburring the insides and some light stoning/polishing on contacting surfaces (left the sear alone) we put in a Wolff 15# hammer spring and a Wolff 40 oz trigger spring. (The reset with the 30 oz felt slightly mushy to me.) Am very pleased with the improvement! We tested both my reloads with Federal primers and my pard's with CCI's. No misfires with either brand, but I won't recommend CCI's for any modified revolver..

It seems that every gun purchase is brought about by legislation.
Starting 1/1/2020, CA will no longer allow purchase of any gun parts without going through an FFL and background check.

The way I read the bill... this means springs, levers, hammers, grips... everything.

I shoot with folks with Rugers where the hammer fall is so light you can watch it fall as if by gravy alone.  About every stage he has to go around at least once, sometimes more, to get all rounds popped.  It doesn't bother him apparently as it's been like that for years.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, bgavin said:

It seems that every gun purchase is brought about by legislation.
Starting 1/1/2020, CA will no longer allow purchase of any gun parts without going through an FFL and background check.

The way I read the bill... this means springs, levers, hammers, grips... everything.

IMHO, this is what you get when our "progressive" CA State legislative imbeciles get scared of things that they don't understand, and they articulate their "solution" (to a non-problem) through their political agenda and narrative. 

Most of them are, in fact, entirely clueless about firearms.  Few of them served in the military, and most of them came from an urban setting, where the leftist media only let them hear about guns in reference to crime.  And their agenda doesn't permit them to deviate from their political party line, which seems to be disarmament of the American  private citizenry.  

This new law will not reduce criminal firearm use or frustrate any criminal intent, because (except possibly in the world of DIY AR builders) few criminal gun users do their own firearm building or  repairs.  

Instead the law will mean that law abiding citizens will be charged FFL transfer-like fees and background check fees for even the smallest screw or cross pin, needed to maintain reliability or safety, unless there is a non-gun-related alternative source for the hardware.  And I question if  the law is clear whether you could buy 5 or ten screws or springs without the requirements and FFL fees being applied to each, individually. 

It's an exemplary case of blinded leadership, and it for sure doesn't represent "Government by the governed", as described by Hamilton in the Federalist Papers. 

I suspect the folks who are slowly but steadily encroaching into our capability to use our 2A rights  have a more important agenda in mind--to control the body politic--precisely the original reason for 2A.  

As I understand it, CA will be collecting that same $1 per purchase DMV-background check tax.
Springs, etc will have to be purchased through an "approved" vendor who will collect the tax.
As it currently works in CA, the $1 is per transaction, no matter how many rounds one buys.

32 minutes ago, bgavin said:

As I understand it, CA will be collecting that same $1 per purchase DMV-background check tax.
Springs, etc will have to be purchased through an "approved" vendor who will collect the tax.
As it currently works in CA, the $1 is per transaction, no matter how many rounds one buys.

May just have to go to hardware store. 

Coil springs are not impossible to make.  

Existing springs can be lightened. 

I'm more concerned with specific parts, such as firing pins, hammers, safeties, chokes, repair parts, etc.

If it runs as I think it will, a $9 spring kit will $15 at the local Bass Pro, etc plus the $1 tax.
CA is doing their absolute best to make firearm ownership a PITA.

I fully expect these new laws to be immediately challenged in court... but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen...

30/15 with Blackhawk hammers. Shoot only federal primers to be safe. Significant difference from stock. But we'll worth it. Watch the videos it's pretty simple to do your self. 

Archived