SASS Wire Forum

M1 Garand Ceremonial Rifle question

Bugler

I am the armorer for American Legion Post 4 in Billings Mt. and am having a problem with several of the rifle op rod jumping off the bolt.

Using blank ammo is it possible for the op rod and or bolt tab to have excessive wear?

I understand using M2 Ball ammo can wear these parts, but the current blank ammo is VERY enemic and inconsistent.

Does anyone have the correct minimum and maximum dimensions for the bolt, and the op rod cut that it rides in as well as the tab of the op rod so that I can mic them out and find the REAL problem.

I do know that CMP has a program for VSO rifles that have bent or worn op rods , they will exchange them for $40.00 or so.

Thanks to all!

Randy

19 minutes ago, Bugler said:

Does anyone have the correct minimum and maximum dimensions for the bolt, and the op rod cut that it rides in as well as the tab of the op rod so that I can mic them out and find the REAL problem.

Kuhnhausen has those dimensions in his fine gunsmithing manual on the Garand.

The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual

Probably worth the price to your group. 

Good luck, GJ

Or, you may be able to get enough from this article:

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-102720.html

Most of which talks about the op rod repair that was successfully done for several folks at a shop called Columbus Machine.

http://www.columbusmachine.com/oprod.htm

I will ask if the Legion would spring for the Manual....in the mean time I will contact CMP and get some feedback there. I suspect an out of spec op-rod more than a worn out bolt as these have been firing blanks for many years, not M2 Ball.

Bugler

If your ceremonial squads are racking the actions by hand while blank firing, they may be getting way too vigorous and wearing the tabs on the bolts.   Kinda hard to think several op rods all bent/went south at the same time.  Unless you have a fellow assigned to cleaning and reassembly who does not know the proper drill to put Garands back together.

Good luck, GJ

33 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Blank ammo will not cycle the action.

The wear you see, is there from live ammo firing.

Go with the CMP help.

OLG

That's why we use blank adapters. They cycle fine.

The Garand Collectors Assoc magazine had a very good series of articles about maintaining ceremonial rifles last year. I'll see if I can locate my copies.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The ones the VFW use here, do not cycle the action and it has to be done manually.

Could the 'load' have changed?

Or are your rifles set up for blanks?

OLG

There WAS a change in the blank ammo from the red sealed case mouth to the crimped 6 star ammo which also needed a new blank firing adapter as it is not stout enough to cycle the action.

So unless the Blank adapter has been changed out the crimped ammo doesn't often cycle the op rod.

OLG, That post might also have remove the op rod spring......running it much like a bolt gun...

Bugler

16 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Garand Collectors Assoc magazine had a very good series of articles about maintaining ceremonial rifles last year. I'll see if I can locate my copies.

I would be keenly interested in those articles....

I will check, however, I think that it is good as it just started jumping the bolt which to me indicates probably a worn out op rod.

Thanks!

Bugler

I have located one of the GCA magazines with  the maintenance article. But it's part two. Haven't found part one  yet. It was Winter 2015. Still looking.

I dd find this nice video which was made by the same guy who did the articles. Lots of tips. Actually easier to use this  than the manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80jx1G_qUM

The manuals are pretty cheap and available on line

https://www.amazon.com/9-1005-222-12-Operator-Organizational-Maintenance-Including/dp/B00DSAFQVW/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=M1+garand+manual&qid=1563833418&s=gateway&sr=8-12

On 7/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, Bugler said:

I understand using M2 Ball ammo can wear these parts, but the current blank ammo is VERY enemic and inconsistent.

The word you seek is “anemic”. 

Your selection implies that the ammo is “of or referring to an enema”.

i hope you’re enjoying a chuckle and not upset at this old newspaper guy. 

I am positively live id!!!

Bugler

PS, not at all upset...........................

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have located one of the GCA magazines with  the maintenance article. But it's part two. Haven't found part one  yet. It was Winter 2015. Still looking.

I dd find this nice video which was made by the same guy who did the articles. Lots of tips. Actually easier to use this  than the manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80jx1G_qUM

The manuals are pretty cheap and available on line

https://www.amazon.com/9-1005-222-12-Operator-Organizational-Maintenance-Including/dp/B00DSAFQVW/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=M1+garand+manual&qid=1563833418&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Well, I watched it all the way through....well done and very thorough. THANKS SO MUCH!

Bugler

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

A Garand enema is something you don’t ever want!!

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I can see either version might apply.  :lol:

19 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Maybe he is trying to say it is shitty ammo

On 7/21/2019 at 5:55 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Its my understanding, from talking with WWII reenactors, that if the restriction on the blank adapter is to small, it can beat up the op rod.

8 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Its my understanding, from talking with WWII reenactors, that if the restriction on the blank adapter is to small, it can beat up the op rod.

The hole has to be the correct size 11/64”. Especially for the newer star crimped blanks.

Archived