SASS Wire Forum

What Happens When You Legalize Marijuana

Subdeacon Joe

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

And Fiat thinks it makes Jeeps................:lol:

OLG

FCA make a great Rubicon. We all know how you feel.....

And Land-Rover thinks it makes Land-Rovers!

I've driven a Land-Rover ... it was a '72 model (unfortunately it was the first model year castrated to meet US air pollution requirements), but it was still the boxy African safari car, built like a bloody TANK!
Loved that short wheelbase, aluminum bodied, rough-riding, recessed-radiator, quick-steering little struggle buggy!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

And Land-Rover thinks it makes Land-Rovers!

I've driven a Land-Rover ... it was a '72 model (unfortunately it was the first model year castrated to meet US air pollution requirements), but it was still the boxy African safari car, built like a bloody TANK!
Loved that short wheelbase, aluminum bodied, rough-riding, recessed-radiator, quick-steering little struggle buggy!

A few days ago on my way into work I saw a 2018 or 2019 Land Rover that looked like any other white SUV with a huge, heavy duty grill guard on it.  This car will obviously never be anywhere it would even remotely need it.  
Guess the owner was compensating.

Nowadays it says Land Rover on the vehicle ... and the only semblance to the true, genuine, authentic, REAL Land-Rover is they have four wheels and a windshield.

The genuine British Leyland rover I know and love (I think the model was renamed the Defender) has BRASS RIVETS holding the brake linings on the cast iron brake shoes.

If you're out in Crocodile Dundee's far outback and two million miles from the nearest Ferd Hack or Auto Zone, and you wear the brakes down to the rivets, it's not going to cut gouges in the brake drums.

When you crawl under with a grease gun and you have your trusty assistant ease it ahead by the half-inch until one grease fitting on the "Propellor Shaft" (them Brits talk funny!), ALL the grease fittings point down!
It's got a big round hole in the back bumper.

Why?

Look at the instruction book ... it shows how to plug in the PTO shaft and run a hay baler!

This machine was made from the word go to be Oil Field Grade, to quote my dear Pappy:  big and mean and hell for stout! -- only it wasn't that big, ours was the short wheelbase, and that short coupled struggle buggy had FAST steering, and Mama never would let us take it out into the woods!

(She did, however, celebrate the new acquisition by buying a British driving cap, and by turning the brim up on a felt broad brimmed for me, she sewed a red-and-green cockade on the side and called it my Aussie go-to-hell hat!)

26 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

authentic, REAL Land-Rover is they have four wheels and a windshield

Land Rovers do not now have, nor have they ever had, a windshield.

It's a windscreen.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Land Rovers do not now have, nor have they ever had, a windshield.

It's a windscreen.

I stand corrected!
You're absolutely right!

The new Jeeps are more capable (at least in factory form) than ever. The 3.6 Pentstar V6 puts out great torque and decent horsepower. Still made in Toledo Ohio too.

GG

14 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

The new Jeeps are more capable (at least in factory form) than ever. The 3.6 Pentstar V6 puts out great torque and decent horsepower. Still made in Toledo Ohio too.

GG

agreed

I’m on my 6th Jeep.  Had (have) a 1964 Willy’s, had 4 CJ5s over the years (CJs all had ground-stompin’ V8s in ‘em), always thought Wranglers were wimpy.

Bought a newer Rubicon last December for my daughter.  She didn’t like it so I took it over.  Added a few bells and whistles.  The Wrangler is the AR-15 of vehicles. This is a good 4x4.  Best gears (maybe better) since the old Willy’s and better on the pavement to boot.  Plenty HP and torque.  I was a sceptic and now am a believer.  I am satisfied.  It suits me and it suits my missus.

Course I won’t be parting with my F-350 4x4 either just yet.....

ML  (Old school Jeepster)

Of course there is an awful lot of computer crap on it, but that’s life in the 21st.

ML

Archived