SASS Wire Forum

Complications...probably having surgery in the AM

Pat Riot

Some of you may remember my post about my motorcycle accident. In that post I said I had 4 broken ribs near my spine. I also have a broken collarbone and some road rash, bruises and stoved toes. 

At the hospital the day of the accident they said ribs 4 - 7 were broken. 

Monday I had to go to the emergency room at a hospital near me because the road rash on my knee was infected and to get more pain meds. St Francis hospital only gave me a limited amount and they were no where near strong enough. 

They patched up my knee , prescribed me some proper pain meds along with muscle relaxers and antibiotics for the road rash ( something St Francis should have given me, but I am no doctor. What do I know? :wacko: )

So for the past couple of days I have been taking more ibuprofen and less of the Norco and things have been feeling a little better. This morning I woke up and took 4 Advil and started my day. 

I took a shower and with a little difficulty I completed my task with no assistance needed from my wonderful wife. When I was getting all dried off I felt a twinge in my back right between my shoulder blades right above where I was having pain before. All of a sudden that twinge became a steak knife shoved into my back.

It was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt...and I have had some pain in my time.

My wife brought me back to the hospital. The ER doctor had me X-Rayed again and she comes in and tells me she can clearly see the fractures in my ribs and can’t see why I am having the pain that I am having. She said “ I can clearly see fractures in ribs 6 through 9.

I told her that St Francis hospital said it was ribs 4-7. 

She said “No it’s definitely 6-9.”

Then she left and came back a couple of minutes later and said she had spoken to a Thorasic Surgeon and that he recommended I have a CT Scan because something wasn’t right about the amount of pain I was in. 

So I had a CT scan.

Turns out I have 6 ribs broken. Ribs 4-9. They are what they call “badly displaced”.

The Surgeon recommends that I have them do “rub plate surgery” to fix the ribs. (Check out the link I attached) 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2210463/Synthes-Rib-Matrix-Surgery-mend-broken-ribcage-plates-screws.html

I am in my hospital room writing this and in the morning I will see the surgeon and I will go into surgery, unless something changes between now and morning.

I knew something was wrong. I could feel things moving around when I breathed and my pain moved around too. 

The good thing is that healing time from this surgery is supposed to be days, not weeks. I guess I will find out soon enough. 

I can hardly keep my eyes open. Nightie-O

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck on that surgery and recovery and I second the motion to get rid of that bike!;)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and meditations. I hope everything goes smoothly. I would agree with the others. Four wheels should be in your future. If you need the wind in your hair, get a convertible. Maybe a Jeep.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The Surgeon recommends that I have them do “rub plate surgery” to fix the ribs. (Check out the link I attached) 

Plumbers tape and self-tapping screws it looks like.  

At least they found it before it got too serious.

O Lord Jesus Christ our God, Who did patiently endure the scourging and wounding of Your most holy Body, that You might save the souls and bodies of Your people, look graciously, we beseech You, upon the suffering body of  Your servant and give him strength to endure patiently whatsoever You shall see fit to lay upon him. Bless the means employed for the working out of his cure, granting that he may so endure his sufferings in the flesh that the wounding of his body may be to avail for the correcting and salvation of his soul, for Yours it is to show mercy and to save, O Christ our God; and to You do we send up Glory, as to Your Eternal Father and Your All‑Holy, Good and Life‑creating Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Good grief.. I do hope you get through this, and soon.

And this is another confirmation why I am selling my beloved Harley...
It is simply too dangerous to ride any more.
Here in Sacramento, and San Diego, a biker is getting snuffed almost every day.

Hang in there Pat. Hope everything goes well. I guess you really won’t be at The Cowboys match next Sunday.:(.

Prayers up for great doctors and a complete recovery.

My wife is a lifelong radiographer and chief CT tech at our local hospital.

I read aloud your account and asked if she was familiar with Rub Plate Surgery, and she considered a moment, and then offered that rib fractures are hardest to correctly diagnose -- especially on CT -- as they're being viewed at an angle -- 

Standing up on my knees for you, pard!

Dang that sounds awful.  Prayers up for complete healing. 

I echo the others.  Get yourself a nice Porsche Boxter for wind in your hair.  Your accident is the reason I decided against buying another bike.

Sending some prayers your way Pat.

Hope you have a fast, pain free recovery. 

Prayers and well wishes for you.  Hoping for a complete and fast recovery.  Hang in there.

48 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

This is why I always have somebody to officially speak for me if I go to the hospital.  

Absolutely.

Our youngest is starting nursing college next month.
Our middle daughter is 15 years an RN, IV-Therapy specialized (pick lines).
When I was in for the prostate surgery, she was there speaking Nurses Buzzword Bingo with my day nurse.
After many minutes of technical jargon, she turned to me and said, "You're fine, Dad."

Thank you all so much.

I will be heading into surgery in a few minutes.  

See you all on flip side. :D

Heal fast pard. 

We have been through two major wrecks with my son and his bikes. Tracey and I sobbed together when he bought another one. Funny thing is he hasn't ridden since his son was born. 

Prayers going up for you Pat. Best wishes and hopes for a complete recovery.

Is this another accident since the one a year or two ago?

Dammit! One thing on top of another. Good prognosis though. Hope you heal rapidly, pard.

Prayers were said for a successful surgery and now praying for a speedy recovery.

Rest is needed now so don't be too stubborn to not let your wife take care of you.

Update us as soon as you are up to it.

Archived