SASS Wire Forum

New Recruitment

Dusty Devil Dale

I was looking over the "Who is Coming" list for the Western Regional Match, upcoming.  I will say right up front that I do realize that match sign-up is far from a random process, being affected by lots of individual considerations.  But TO THE EXTENT THOSE NUMBERS ARE IN ANY WAY REPRESENTATIVE OF SASS MEMBERSHIP, 47 of the 233 listed shooters have SASS numbers of 100,000 or greater.   That's just over 20%, which seems to me as fairly strong new member recruitment.  

Keep in mind that more experienced shooters are probably more likely to sign up for a multi-state Regional Match, and many new shooters probably shoot at local clubs, but have not yet joined SASS, so they would be excluded from these numbers.  So the 47 (20%) number is probably a minimal estimate of newer shooters.  

I don't know how long ago the badge numbers hit 100k, but if it was ten years ago, we are attracting new shooters at 2% per year.  That seems like pretty good recruitment. 

I wonder what the % of CURRENTLY ACTIVE SASS MEMBERS with numbers above 100,000 is.  Does anyone have that info? We keep pondering ways to increase our new shooter numbers, and that is a good thing, but possibly we are doing better than we realize.  

Thoughts? 

As I recall there was going to be a big deal made about member 100,000 when it happened but I don’t recall any special recognition when it was given out. 2013 maybe? was the year it rolled over.

9 hours ago, Flash said:

I joined in May of 2011 my number is 92229 if that helps. I think a couple of years later it went over 100K

If we've gained 20% since 2013 (6 years) that's 3.3% per year!  Seems a healthy replacement rate.  

I became SASS # 100,494 in April 2014 if that helps narrow it down somewhat.

i did not realize the numbers were that high , i do not track it nor pretend to understand the flow , im just glad its climbing - am pleased to know at that rate , ive recruited a few but retention is unknown to me , i hope they have stuck with it , 

On 7/21/2019 at 6:10 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

If we've gained 20% since 2013 (6 years) that's 3.3% per year!  Seems a healthy replacement rate.  

There have been quite a few pards pass away lately some have stopped shooting because of health, work or family issues also so that 3.3% replacement rate might be a bit optimistic. Our sport is definitely getting older a lot faster than most shooting sports.

Not sure where I read it, but would have to agree going after the 40-50 yo something range would be better for the sport.

Seen thread after thread of talk of recruitment and reaching folks my opinion would be focus on advertisement (yes takes money) as whenever I engage with folks they had no idea of such a thing as Cowboy shooting but ask them about USPSA or IDPA their tracking.

Guess it will continue to boil down to individual members recruiting and local clubs I suppose.

I joined in April and my # is 108525. 

My recruitment experience so far and suggestions:

1. I stumbled upon SASS by accident when researching single actions. Of all the ranges I visited on a regular basis before joining, there was never any indication SASS even existed. 

2. I found the handbook to not be very clearly written for a newcomer. I had to dig around this forum for clearer information from all you friendly pards.
3. It's my opinion that https://sassnet.com/ needs a complete overhaul. The homepage is a cluttered mess. It has not even been updated with current EOT standings. It will not attract new shooters if it looks like it was made in 1899. That's OK for your SAA, not a web presence. 
4. The club listings return a OVER_QUERY_LIMIT error most of the time.

5. Local clubs should be spotlighted much, much more. For most that will be their only SASS experience. They are the lifeblood of the sport.

Pretty sure the number of active shooters is around 30K, 3.3% won't fill the attrition void. 

In the early 2000's we were getting 8-12K new shooters per year. What has changed? 

I don't know why there is no marketing or advertising campaign to help us get more members.

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

Pretty sure the number of active shooters is around 30K, 3.3% won't fill the attrition void. 

In the early 2000's we were getting 8-12K new shooters per year. What has changed? 

I don't know why there is no marketing or advertising campaign to help us get more members.

Back then us old guys were a lot younger:D. The marketing approach or lack there of may be both financially, how to get the most bang for the buck and the original WB members may not see the need. 

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Maybe an item in the shooters packet for all SASS affiliated shoots should be an attractive magnetic decal - - "Ask me about COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING SPORTS."  

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Maybe an item in the shooters packet for all SASS affiliated shoots should be an attractive magnetic decal - - "Ask me about COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING SPORTS."  

So I can drive around advertising I likely have guns in my truck?  Think I'll pass 

14 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

SASS use to give out stickers, I've got one on my Kawasaki Mule, I use it when we set up matches. I believe they were attached to the centerfold of the old style CC. They also included them in the new shooter packets with your badge and certificate of alias. Have not seen any in the past few years. 

Archived