SASS Wire Forum

Mentors Worthy of Special Mention

Dusty Devil Dale

Everyone knows one or more of them.  They're those special CAS people who regularly and unselfishly interrupt their own shooting concentration and freely give their time to newcomers to the sport, to share knowledge, provide needed correction, help us develop skill and proficiency, or directly train us to be competent ROs, posse leaders or future TGs. 

For me, two stand out as deserving recognition, Snakebite, and Sierra Rider.  They have been two very dedicated, helpful, strict, and patient gentlemen.  Many thanks! 

6 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Sounds like most of the cowboys and cowgirls I have met over the last 11 or so years.

Agree.  There are very few in CAS  who are not honestly helpful people.  They're the friendliest and most helpful "competitors" I've ever known in any sport.  

But I'm talking here about those uniquely generous mentoring individuals who give huge amounts of time and go to great lengths to share their knowledge and coach the rest of us along to make sure we (and future SASS) are given a solid foundation.   

Early on it was China Camp, Ivory Jack McCloud, Coffee and Capt. Lewis that helped me a bunch. Since then there are way to many to list.

Ok then,

today i shot with Union Jack who loaned guns ammo and leather to a 12 year old shooter just because she wanted to try things out. He also coached her between stages and afterwards he set up her father to give things a whirl. Also present was paladin pete who spent untold hours building our range and has generously given ammo guns and instruction to literally everyone who has visited our club. Ridgeway plinker and his better half columbine, coordinated our stages and came out yesterday in 100 degree plus temperatures to setup and paint, then cut their own social time to get home and finish the scores for the rest of us. There were plenty of others who jumped in and gave of their play time to pickup brass set targets spot etc. and generally keep things moving.

my point is that all of the people I shot with today played an important role in making things great at this match and all the people I have been honored to shoot with over the years have in one way or another enhanced my experience.

it would be impossible to name all those who have helped me personally and given so much to this game, I would surely miss dozens if not hundreds.

a partial list in no particular order....... Cobra Cat, JT Wild, Dixie Belle, Deuce, Long Hunter, Lassiter, Black Jack Zac, Blastmaster, Colorado Black Jack, SLO Smoke, Sapinero, San Juan, TL, Johnny Meadows, Wrangler Ron, Lefty Jo, Savage Sam, Sam Balin, Coyote Cap, GW Ryder, Lightning Cat (rip) etc..etc..etc

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Ok then,

today i shot with Union Jack who loaned guns ammo and leather to a 12 year old shooter just because she wanted to try things out. He also coached her between stages and afterwards he set up her father to give things a whirl. Also present was paladin pete who spent untold hours building our range and has generously given ammo guns and instruction to literally everyone who has visited our club. Ridgeway plinker and his better half columbine, coordinated our stages and came out yesterday in 100 degree plus temperatures to setup and paint, then cut their own social time to get home and finish the scores for the rest of us. There were plenty of others who jumped in and gave of their play time to pickup brass set targets spot etc. and generally keep things moving.

my point is that all of the people I shot with today played an important role in making things great at this match and all the people I have been honored to shoot with over the years have in one way or another enhanced my experience.

it would be impossible to name all those who have helped me personally and given so much to this game, I would surely miss dozens if not hundreds.

a partial list in no particular order....... Cobra Cat, JT Wild, Dixie Belle, Deuce, Long Hunter, Lassiter, Black Jack Zac, Blastmaster, Colorado Black Jack, SLO Smoke, Sapinero, San Juan, TL, Johnny Meadows, Wrangler Ron, Lefty Jo, Savage Sam, Sam Balin, Coyote Cap, GW Ryder, Lightning Cat (rip) etc..etc..etc

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Your point is made.   Our sport is graced with many generous ones who would not hesitate to help someone new in getting past equipment or other issues and becoming serious competitors.  Truly a unique and great group of people to be around.   

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

China Camp

Lefty Longridge

Smoke Parnell

Lead Dispencer

Swifty Swede

Long Swede...

The list is very long.

Phantom

Long Swede is still helping shooters better their game. He’s offered  me a lot of advice over the years and and he does it in such a way that you can’t help but take it to heart.

First is Crisco, never met anyone that has a better understanding of the rules and ability to convey them.

Lassiter for his encyclopedic knowledge on the workings of every cowboy gun.

Evil Roy for telling my dad that I needed 38s when I was just a wee child.

The tag team of Badlands Bud and Doc Shapiro for their ability to see things that I was completely missing.

And China Camp because he was just an awesome guy.

7 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I don't know if I could even generate a list.  So many folks have been friendly, helpful, and generous with their time and knowledge.  If I started a list, I'd be sure to miss someone.

Sounds like you personally would be on a lot of folks' lists.  And I agree there is risk of leaving good people out.  That in itself is quite a statement about CAS people overall.   We don't have to look very far to find willing and capable help. Pretty great situation to be in.   Thanks for the positive thoughts. 

Leadpusher

Warrdog

Miss Conduct

to call out just a few that have greatly factored in my fascination and obsession with all things Cowboy!

Lassiter, and T Bone,,,

Persimmon Dan

Ole short Tom

Two sons

Cheyenne  Purdy Boy Culpepper  ( Dress Code and RO Classes)

Lassiter

Boaz 

Mean gun Mark

Widder

Stone creek Drifter

Spit Rail

and Every Cowboy and Cowgirl, I Have Ever Shot With !   I can't Think of a match that Someone hasn't Offered Help or advise if needed

Way too many to list. My biggest mentor has been my Dad, Cypress Sam. Started when I was about 4, never stopped. He's been a mentor of many a great shooter.

Thanks Dad.

Well, that's a hard list to narrow down. For me personally almost everybody is awesome. Some have their niches like Widder for the 97 shooting videos and Henry and Marlin expertise.  For me would be Randy St Eagle. From taking EVERY new shooter that comes to our range under his wing and getting them started to his unlimited pointers and availability for questions. He recommended me going to duelist category, and that's been great. He also puts up with me tagging along for practice and hits me with a broom handle when I mess up.

ive never met a fellow cowboy/cowgirl that would not be such , but im glad you had a couple that helped you out when in need , one of the things i like most about this venue is all the helpful folks you meet from everything from spare guns to ammo to sharing a meal at night , i have found so many such i could never thank them all here , what a great bunch of folks to spend a shoot with - in every state ive shot in , you cannot find that in every place in life , but here - yes every shoot , 

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Well, that's a hard list to narrow down. For me personally almost everybody is awesome. Some have their niches like Widder for the 97 shooting videos and Henry and Marlin expertise.  For me would be Randy St Eagle. From taking EVERY new shooter that comes to our range under his wing and getting them started to his unlimited pointers and availability for questions. He recommended me going to duelist category, and that's been great. He also puts up with me tagging along for practice and hits me with a broom handle when I mess up.

Now you're getting to know the meaning of a 'skull thumpin'...... :lol:

If Randy really wanted you to start paying more attention, he would restrict your DQ visits everytime

you foul up..... :o

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Now you're getting to know the meaning of a 'skull thumpin'...... :lol:

If Randy really wanted you to start paying more attention, he would restrict your DQ visits everytime

you foul up..... :o

..........Widder

Don't tell him that! 

Oh, and I forgot to mention your unique ability to put up with stoopid questions!

Like most here, my list would be long and I'd hate to forget anyone.

Some would be for their willingness to give of their time and resources,

one cowboy drove 5 hours to shoot a monthly match and bring me primers when I couldn't find any back in the dark days.

One couple sat me down and fed me gateraid and ice chips when they saw me struggling with the heat at an annual, had they not been so observant and kind, I'd probably have gone down.

Others loaned me guns when I was getting started and didn't yet have them.

One cowgirl made me several shirts as there were none off the rack that would fit me.

Others have patiently explained something to me when perhaps I was having trouble understanding in the heat of the moment.

Yet others inspire me by their perseverance thru their own struggles while taking the time to help out others.

And the pure joy and love of the game of some cowfolks is infectious when you are around them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Hey I only use a really lite broom handle!

Randy

3 non SASS members... Hangfire Hank, Montana Dan, and Midway... (no most y'all ain't ever met/heard of them).  Then there's Lucky Smucky for how to be "smooth", Brazos for how NOT to maintain guns (shotgun especially), Tex for how to have fun, Hipshot for match organization and hard work, Judge Roy Bean for proper attitude ... and currently it's every shooter that's posse'd with me... and put up with my shenanigans.  And a special mention to China Camp for mentoring my wife (may they both rest in peace), and my son.  Something that at the time I had neither the patience, nor the knowledge to do.  Many of you here on the Wire for either agreeing with my rare moments of wisdom or disagreeing without animosity. ;)  

Lady Gator for showing me how it's supposed to be done

Gator Bait for all the great advice and insight.  He even showed me Lady Gator's tricks  ;)

Both took me under their wing and continue to mentor me, I'll never be able to pay them back for the help and friendship.

Back in December 2010 I saw an article on SASS in Guns & Ammo. I looked up a local club, Doc Holliday’s Immortals, and got contact information for the MD, a 5 time World Champion gunfighter named Easy Rider. 

Easy met met me at the range and gave me an afternoon of his time as well as a few hundred rounds of ammo and the loan of some guns.

That was the beginning of a long journey on which I’ve been helped (and continue to be helped) by more Cowboys than I can recount here. Thanks:

Easy Rider

Buck D. Law

Dirt Merchant

Fast Eddie

Christian Mortician

Gateway Kid

Cowboy Junky

Widder

Potshot Parker

Big John Denny

Judge em All Duncan

Koda Joe

Tuco Forsyth

I’m forgetting some I’m sure.

Hollifer A. Dollar took me under his wing, and continues to help me get better at this sport.

I also have to give kudos to Abilene Slim.  When I was just getting started with my 1860 .44 Piettas, he took a lot of time over the phone and via email helping me iron out the necessary things to get those guns shootable and reliable.

Hope I didn't leave someone out.  Too many to think of.

Archived