SASS Wire Forum

Target order/array index

Some time ago, I Googled "Cowboy Action Shooting Sweeps" and accessed/printed  a lot of lists and sweep descriptions-- along with a few inevitable broom and vacuum ads.  

25 minutes ago, Shifty Jack, SASS #65353 said:

Sweet! Maybe we should get a sticky up as a living document when new sweeps come out.

Using a name only to describe a sweep is a recipe for disaster when it comes to writing a scenario. Sweep names tend to be regional and the same target order may have many different names.

Trying to remember the sequence by name only is an unnecessary hindrance to place on new shooters. Get into the habit of calling out the target order. Instead of calling it a continuous Nevada sweep Call out the target sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4. If it can be shot starting from either end say so. If it must be shot only one way then make that clear.

Nothing worse than being at the loading table reading the scenario and trying to figure out what a Diablo sweep is.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Using a name only to describe a sweep is a recipe for disaster when it comes to writing a scenario. Sweep names tend to be regional and the same target order may have many different names.

Trying to remember the sequence by name only is an unnecessary hindrance to place on new shooters. Get into the habit of calling out the target order. Instead of calling it a continuous Nevada sweep Call out the target sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4. If it can be shot starting from either end say so. If it must be shot only one way then make that clear.

Nothing worse than being at the loading table reading the scenario and trying to figure out what a Diablo sweep is.

I totally agree with you, there should always be a full description of the target order available to the shooter and I don't believe anyone is suggesting otherwise.

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with naming a sweep one thing or another as a point of distinction. What brought up the idea of wanting a list was hearing about an interesting sweep today that I had never heard of before and made me curious how many others are out there that I haven't heard or thought of.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Using a name only to describe a sweep is a recipe for disaster when it comes to writing a scenario. Sweep names tend to be regional and the same target

Most of the sweep lists I've seen include detailed descriptions, which I think were what the OP was actually looking for--new ideas for match variety.  

Hot Tip of the day!!

Save all the stage books/packets from the state and above matches that you attend and draw on them for inspiration. Plus when someone complains about a stage you have written or someone yells "get a rope!" You can tell them, "Come on man, this was a stage from the 2017 Midwest regional, you have shot this before." They lighten up pretty quick. 

Not like that has ever happen to me though ;)

And an "Official Glossary" of sweeps is something you should expect from the governing body of the sport. SASS should post it on the website.

i believe part of the fun of the sport is learning new sweeps and their awesome cowboy names.

As a new shooter, I do appreciate the stage writers who include the 1-2-3-4 in addition to the cowboy name.

SASS ? Can you help us here?

Archived