SASS Wire Forum

Totally embarrassed

Utah Bob #35998

I had to send this to the local paper. I screwed up and put the M1 clips for the rifles in upside down so the first 5 rounds were expended cartridges rather than live blanks. Good thing  I'm not the kind of guy who drinks when he's depressed or I'd be s***faced by now.  Idiot. :angry:

To make it worse. One of the deceased's sons was on the rifle squad and his other son is the town manager. Can't remember when I've been so embarrassed. It'll take me awhile to get over it.

On July 20th, the memorial service for Roger Frazier was held at the Dove Creek Cemetery. VFW Post 5181 was requested to render final military honors as we are proud do for all departed veterans.This is a solemn duty to honor our comrades in arms and one that we take very seriously.

The ceremony includes the firing of three volleys and the playing of Taps at the conclusion of the final prayer and Post Commander's comments.

As the leader of the rifle squad it was my job to ensure that the firearms are properly maintained, loaded, and ready for the ceremony. In this I failed, and as a result, we were unable to fire the traditional volleys. This failure was my sole responsibility and I cannot express how sorry I am to Mr. Frazier's family and many friends who were in attendance. It embarrassed and reflected poorly on myself, The VFW, and the great members of Post 5181. I have taken steps to ensure such an inexcusable lapse will not happen in the future. Again, I offer my most sincere apologies.

Bob De Groff

Senior Vice Commander

VFW Post 5181

At my uncle's funeral the priest gave the eulogy using a name other than my uncle's. People in the church pews where writing his name on pieces of paper and holding them up to get the priest's attention to let him know his mistake. My uncle would have laughed his ass off. 

Sometimes mistakes become treasured memories.

I guess I’ll go watch the Rockies lose to the Yankees again. Couldn’t make me feel any worse. 

Bob,

Thank you and your fellow Veterans for doing what you do. I do understand your embarrassment and I would feel the same, but it was a mistake. I am sure you didn’t mean to make that mistake. Don’t beat yourself up too bad. I know it’s easier said than done.

UB,

I believe I speak for everyone on the WIRE when I say that you have been a dedicated spokesman for Veterans, and we can never give you enough Thanks for doing so. :FlagAm:

42 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I guess I’ll go watch the Rockies lose to the Yankees again. Couldn’t make me feel any worse. 

...and on another note:

I read that the Rockies visited an Orphanage in Brazil after they had just lost a game.

"It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope, "

....said Jose, age 6. :P

After an epically embarrassing ruh-roh that ended up hurting a friend’s feelings, as pastor friend told me this...

“Look in your left and right wrists.  See any nail holes?  Then you ain’t perfect.  Accept grace and go forward.”

UB

Owning up publicly shows the caliber of a man you are. Many a lesser man would have kept quiet and hoped that no one would know who to point their fingers at.

You have my deepest admiration and respect not only for what you do for veterans but for living up to the Cowboy Way.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had to send this to the local paper. I screwed up and put the M1 clips for the rifles in upside down so the first 5 rounds were expended cartridges rather than live blanks. Good thing  I'm not the kind of guy who drinks when he's depressed or I'd be s***faced by now.  Idiot. :angry:

To make it worse. One of the deceased's sons was on the rifle squad and his other son is the town manager. Can't remember when I've been so embarrassed. It'll take me awhile to get over it.

On July 20th, the memorial service for Roger Frazier was held at the Dove Creek Cemetery. VFW Post 5181 was requested to render final military honors as we are proud do for all departed veterans.This is a solemn duty to honor our comrades in arms and one that we take very seriously.

The ceremony includes the firing of three volleys and the playing of Taps at the conclusion of the final prayer and Post Commander's comments.

As the leader of the rifle squad it was my job to ensure that the firearms are properly maintained, loaded, and ready for the ceremony. In this I failed, and as a result, we were unable to fire the traditional volleys. This failure was my sole responsibility and I cannot express how sorry I am to Mr. Frazier's family and many friends who were in attendance. It embarrassed and reflected poorly on myself, The VFW, and the great members of Post 5181. I have taken steps to ensure such an inexcusable lapse will not happen in the future. Again, I offer my most sincere apologies.

Bob De Groff

Senior Vice Commander

VFW Post 5181

Your heart is in the right place, God bless you Bob.

Can I ask why you just do not load the rifle with all 8 blanks? Safety?

Just now, Wapaloosie73 said:

Your heart is in the right place, God bless you Bob.

Can I ask why you just do not load the rifle with all 8 blanks? Safety?

Loading 8 blanks would mean you had a live round in the chamber after the third shot, so yeah it’s a safety issue. Especially given that the rifle squad can consist of several Air Force and Navy vets without a lot of small arms training.

Thats why "I" or the Honor Guard Commander clear all rifles before they go back in the rack. Yes, we load all 8 ........fire 3 and then safety is on.

Bugler

Welcome to life 101. My most embarrassing moment would be while testifying in Grand Jury.:blush: It was a good one, but I laugh at it now, thank goodness everyone in the Grand Jury laughed and the prosecutor stepped back away from me shaking her head. The only one not laughing was me.:lol:

14 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Welcome to life 101. My most embarrassing moment would be while testifying in Grand Jury.:blush: It was a good one, but I laugh at it now, thank goodness everyone in the Grand Jury laughed and the prosecutor stepped back away from me shaking her head. The only one not laughing was me.:lol:

Been there. 

One of my buddies in pharmacy school put it into words quite well and frequently. "Like we say out West, that Sh*t  will happen". Onliest people who never screw something up are those who never do anything to start with..

JHC

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/manvotional-the-man-in-the-arena-by-theodore-roosevelt/

Link sorta didn't link, but it's the Man in the Arena by Teddy Roosevelt. Good stuff.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bob,

Thank you and your fellow Veterans for doing what you do. I do understand your embarrassment and I would feel the same, but it was a mistake. I am sure you didn’t mean to make that mistake. Don’t beat yourself up too bad. I know it’s easier said than done.

I'd have kicked the sides out of my coffin laughing at that.

2 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Our former sheriff was a big Roosevelt fan. I gave him that quote in a nice frame.

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

After an epically embarrassing ruh-roh that ended up hurting a friend’s feelings, as pastor friend told me this...

“Look in your left and right wrists.  See any nail holes?  Then you ain’t perfect.  Accept grace and go forward.”

As usual, the OP ends up benefitting more than its originator ...

Charlie Harley's reply is one I'm going to hang onto.

It'll come in handy when I discuss matters with that fellow I have so much trouble forgiving.

The man in the mirror.

Bob, you could load the clips with 3 blanks, 2 empty, and 3 more blanks. They would work either way.

My mother had nine brothers, two were career Navy, retiring as Master Chiefs: Ralph,  an Electrician’s Mate; John, a Bosun’s Mate.  At Ralph’s funeral, we were sitting in the Home waiting for the service. John quietly told the manager that there was a problem with the toilet.  Soon we heard the clanking of tools and pipes. John’s wife, Pat, was always a little ‘proper’ about things whispered that they should have waited for that. John, with a grin, said, ”Ralph would have liked that.” Ralph was always a tinkerer.

Bob,

I didn't have the honor of being a Veteran, but do what I can to honor and thank those whom have served. After reading many of your posts on this forum I hold you as a person of utmost respect. The work you do for our Veterans is most inspirational. Hold your head high Sir, poop happens. Sometimes at the worst possible moment. I'm betting although you couldn't see it; you gave the departed a wonderful last laugh. Even if it was with great embarrassment on your part. At least you owned it, many would not of.Keep up all the good work you do for our Veterans. Thank you for serving.  :FlagAm:

Eyesa

On 7/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had to send this to the local paper.

Above is the key, at least from my perspective. You didn't "have" to, depending on what standard you look at. There was no legal requirement that you do so. The requirement was one of honor. Your sense of honor and integrity dictated you do so. That, in itself speaks volumes.

49 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Above is the key, at least from my perspective. You didn't "have" to, depending on what standard you look at. There was no legal requirement that you do so. The requirement was one of honor. Your sense of honor and integrity dictated you do so. That, in itself speaks volumes.

+1000--You didn't HAVE to send that to the paper, you CHOSE to send it.  Everyone screws up, but people of character own their mistakes and learn from them.  And just like your beloved Rockies--You'll get 'em next time!

Archived