SASS Wire Forum

Aging tooth fillings

So....eating lunch last week, when I felt something hard in my mouth....turns out to be a piece of molar.

Into the dentist I go, only to discover that I need a crown (aptly named at $2200 - fit for a King!)

So I was waiting for a second appointment to "prep" that tooth and take the impressions, when I start having the sensation that the tooth is cracked further, and that part of it is mobile.  Back to the dentist.  Arggh!!!! Another tooth is cracked, and will also need a crown.

Per the dentist, my 60 year old silver fillings are doing what they do at that age - expanding slightly, putting pressure on the tooth, and splitting it.  This makes 3 for me.  I can hear the cha-ching when I enter the dentist's office.

LL

Welcome to the joys of being a Senior Citizen.

Four crown$ for me (and nobody even calls me Sir anymore!.)

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

So....eating lunch last week, when I felt something hard in my mouth....turns out to be a piece of molar.

Into the dentist I go, only to discover that I need a crown (aptly named at $2200 - fit for a King!)

So I was waiting for a second appointment to "prep" that tooth and take the impressions, when I start having the sensation that the tooth is cracked further, and that part of it is mobile.  Back to the dentist.  Arggh!!!! Another tooth is cracked, and will also need a crown.

Per the dentist, my 60 year old silver fillings are doing what they do at that age - expanding slightly, putting pressure on the tooth, and splitting it.  This makes 3 for me.  I can hear the cha-ching when I enter the dentist's office.

LL

That is one of the reasons I have no molars in my lower jaw. I am going through the process to get implants.  

This may sound silly but save yourself a step and just go for the implants. Every one of my molars was crowned and eventually had to be yanked due to the base tooth cracking apart or becoming abscessed.

Got a post and crown that is loose. Oral surgeon will do the implant for about $3K!  (Checked with him, and I can shoot the 12ga about a week later.  I'll wait awhile longer as my club's CAS sessions are at the end of the month, and something else seems to pop up in my schedule! :(  The most painful part of an extraction or root canal is NOT the procedure itself. For that they give you Novacaine.  No, the really painful part is when you walk out to the receptionist's desk and she says, "Cash, check or credit card?" :o

LL. I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me in the last year. Always had pretty good teeth. Fillings began cracking and falling out. Three teeth pulled and four new filling$. Softer foods are my friend

My dentist has replaced most of my old amalgam fillings. New ones are white. He suggested it and insurance paid it. Wish I had all of them done.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Same think happened to me.  I had to get the tooth taken out because it was cracked so badly.

My dentist and oral surgeon are teaming up to make dentures look really good to me.  Them implants are costly!

Duffield

Archived