SASS Wire Forum

What do they call it in other countries?

Alpo

When the doctor comes up with a hypodermic syringe to give you an inoculation, you get a shot.

But not in England. In England you get a jab.

Just got me wondering what they call it in other countries.

When I was in the hospital recently they were going to put an IV in my left arm. The nurse, who was a man, said “You are going to feel a prick.” 

I said “Then don’t touch me.”

He pulled away and gave me a funny look.

I grinned and said “I don’t like pricks touching me.”

He said laughing “Oh! Well I am not a prick, believe me.”

I laughed and said “Proceed”.

He had to stop for a minute before he could do the injection because he was laughing. 

Afterwards he said he’d have to remember that one.

When I was in the hospital for prostate cancer, they decided to check my blood sugar level.
She poked my left hand finger, and the GL was very high.

When my regular nurse came in, I told her about this with a smirk on my face..
My nurse said, "Well duh... we have a glucose IV in your left arm.."

Prick is medical for pain, pressure is dental for pain. I suppose they don't want to say this is going to hurt like hell. Though I have had them say on occasion, this is going to hurt like hell for a bit. 

27 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Prick is medical for pain, pressure is dental for pain. I suppose they don't want to say this is going to hurt like hell. Though I have had them say on occasion, this is going to hurt like hell for a bit. 

When my dentist is getting ready to stick a 4" needle in my gum with Novocain, he says "You may feel a bit of a pinch"; well, I'd like to pinch his butt.

LL

Yep, pinch is another one for dentists. A good dentist can do an injection such that you can barely feel it, and a butcher dentist can make you feel every excruciating millimeter.

The last time I was at the dentist, he put the needle in my mouth and started talking to the assistant.  I kept waiting for him to stick it into the gum and was wondering why was not doing it.  Then he pulled it out of my mouth and said we will a few minutes for it to set.  I actually asked him if he gave me the needle as I did not feel anything.  He said that there is a new Novocain now that really dulls the gum and you don't feel the needles anymore.  AH!  Medical science, I love it.

Mine has the little vibrating tool that massages the gum just before and during the injection. It eliminates the initial pain from the needle and reduces the amount of Novocain used.

Really? For all of 'em?

If I was diagnosed with gonorrhea, and they gave me an injection of penicillin, they would call it a vaccination?

Archived