SASS Wire Forum

Half dollar

Friday, I bought some cilantro at a local “farm stand”. I gave the cashier exact change of $1.99 which  included two JFK half dollars. The girl (high school summer help) I saw her looking carefully, inspecting, the 50 cent pieces. I said “50cents”, she said “Ooooh”. They are probably less common than dollar coins. Most of the folks there use cards.

Which do you think is less likely to find ?  The $2 bill or the 50¢ piece?

PS: I put farm stand in quotes because it is a year round business using imported produce in the off-season.  In Autumn they might have 50 or more apple varieties.

The last time I saw a 50 cent piece was about 5 years ago. I got it in some change. The lady asked if I wanted it and I said “Yes”. I still have it somewhere. 

I have never been given a two dollar bill as change or otherwise. I got some at the bank to give to my grandson a few years back. Not sure why my wife wanted to give him $2 bills.

Several years ago I sent a birthday card to my 7 year old (?) granddaughter. She looked at the ten pieces of green paper inside and asked her father if it was real. He told her, "No baby. Grandpa sent you play money."

My daughter looked and said, "No, that's real. Grandpa collects $2 bills."

They give the $2 bill as change at Monticello. A friend of mine would get 20 of them at the bank every paycheck to use as tips  

Don't see either around these parts much at all, but I'd say more half dollars than $2 bills, haven't seen one of those in circulation in a long time. I somewhat collect coins and bills, I have some of both kinds. The older $2 have a different back, would have to look it up to see when they quit printing those, but I'd venture a guess it was 60's. When I was a kid, I collected half dollars. Years later I cut the bottom out of Yogi Bear, I had quite a few silver Kennedys and even a few Franklins. Once in a blue moon I find a bicentennial Kennedy that I'll keep.

JHC

I was in line at Walmart the other day. Unfortunately. I watched the 6 people in line in front of me make their purchases. Not a dime changed hands. 4 credit cards and two phones. And they were not big purchases. One guy only bought a candy bar and an energy drink.

:blink:

Howdy,

A while back I started collection Kennedy halves.

I would stop by the bank and get two rolls at a time.

The teller is used to me getting them.

I spend them and hand them out in tips.

Most seem to hang onto them.

A few young folks puzzle over them for a second.

Ive been spending them for years and have yet to get one BACK in change.

The collection is near complete and progress is nearly stopped.

I have found a couple sliver coins.  One Franklin and one Kennedy so far.

Inexpensive entertainment.

Best

CR

21 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I've never seen a $2 bill and I'm 44. I have a few half dollars.

Darn kids....Used to get real silver dollars when parents went to Vegas...Real silver coins and wheat pennies...$2 bills got close a hundred in the draw...Brand new....50 cent coin harder to find...

Texas Lizard

4 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Darn kids....Used to get real silver dollars when parents went to Vegas...Real silver coins and wheat pennies...$2 bills got close a hundred in the draw...Brand new....50 cent coin harder to find...

Texas Lizard

Well next time I sell you some cap guns maybe you can include with one of those with payment ;) :P

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

Well next time I sell you some cap guns maybe you can include with one of those with payment ;) :P

50 cent piece....You need to have something I need and not something I already have 10 of.....

Texas Lizard

At a local shoot yesterday (Firelands) after the shoot they were selling hot dogs and chips and soda pop, water etc. The guy collecting the money showed me a $2.00 bill. He said "I haven't seen one of these in years! I have one that I keep for nostalgia. 

It's worth something!!! $2.00:lol:

My mom who passed in 1996 collected a bunch of JFK half dollars that she wanted the grandkids to have when she died. There was over $300.00, 5 grandkids split up the money. They weren't worth anymore than .50 cents each unless they sought out a collector.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:48 AM, Henry T Harrison said:

They give the $2 bill as change at Monticello. A friend of mine would get 20 of them at the bank every paycheck to use as tips  

My brother's ex-girlfriend got an Eisenhower dollar coin in change when they toured in Eisenhower farm at Gettysburg.

I talk to waitresses and in a number of  diners I go to they have a customer who gives $2 bills for tips.  I am known in a lot of places as the guy who tips and sometimes pays the bill with dollar coins.   I look at coins as works of art, and I enjoy spreading around the golden dollar coins.

I haven't received a half dollar in change probably in decades, but a lot of times when I go to the bank to get golden dollar coins the tellers ask me if I want the half dollars.   I think there has only been a couple times I received dollar coins in change, only when there were some in the register and I asked for them.

It's kind of fun to use out of the ordinary types of legal tender to makes sure the recipient remember the gift or payment.  Two of my little cousins graduated from school this year, so I gave them graduation cards stuffed with a dozen $2 bills and a golden dollar coin.  

There a probably a lot of children and grandchildren of serving people and trades people who have a stash of golden dollars waiting for them from the tips I've given.

One of the admissions people at the York, PA gun show looks forward to me coming in because I pay my admission fee in golden dollars.

If I remember right Kennedy 1/2 dollars were 90% silver thru 1964 then 40% 1965 -1969.

Check the dates when you see a "clad" 1/2 that may look a little "funny" to see if you are lucky.

7 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

My great-grandmother gave me a Franklin half dollar from my birth year when I was born.  I still have it.  Mom kept it all these years.  

I have a nice '59 Franklin from long ago. I also have a complete '59 proof set still in the cellophane.

JHC

Archived