SASS Wire Forum

Winchester throws brass downrange

Irish Pat

Assuming he is asking about Moruko built Wim 73"s     But we all know what happens when you assume      GW

Also cody conagher. he did my miroku's and changed the direction of brass throw, think by changing the way top of lifter is.

Your brass pickers will thank you!Trying to pick brass out of props and from under the facades on a stage can really slow the posse down.

As hot is it is in our area,no one wants to spend any more time standing in the sun than they have to(but it doesn't keep us from shooting ! )

Choctaw Jack 

Since Griff brought it up again for the upteenth time, Winchester is made in Japan, Browning BSS and SKBs are from Japan, all the other 1873s and 1866s are Italian. I think Ruger and Colt are the only ones still made in USA.   I just want to save brass not fuss over my guns genealogy 

I was literally wondering... did you mean an 1866, 1873, 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897, mdl 12...  Regardless of where they are made, "Winchester" does leave it a bit questionable as to which you meant...  

BTW, I ruled out the 1885, if it's throwing brass forward... you got a bigger problem.... :P

Sorry Griff, my apology.  I am referring to the new 1873 Winchester in 357 with Winchester on the barrel and made in Japan. Both of mine throw brass forward.  Cody did one and Boomstick the other one. They are both slick and short stroked and timing is correct

I seem to recall when the Miroku '73's came out they showed a little different angle at one place of the carrier that was supposed to aid brass going forward.  It was a "feature".  I guess so brass doesn't get your hat dirty.  I've heard mention of removing the dust cover supposed to help, not sure if that was for Uberti or Miroku.  Worth a try.

3 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Sorry Griff, my apology.  I am referring to the new 1873 Winchester in 357 with Winchester on the barrel and made in Japan. Both of mine throw brass forward.  Cody did one and Boomstick the other one. They are both slick and short stroked and timing is correct

It does seem to be a problem (feature?) with the 357 rifles. Not as much with the bigger calibers. I seem to recall a post somewhere on the wore that had a correction for it. Something about changing the angle of extractor somehow. I'll try to search for it

9 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Not necessary.  I figured that I was being the dullard... 

Buy extra brass if you do not do the following.  After the match, ask the Match director if you can go out in front of the stages and pick up 10 empties at each stage.  Problem of brass loss solved!

The top of the carrier / lifter acts as the ejector for toggle link rifles. How it is shaped determines the direction empties are ejected.

That said, I have no ideal how you would modify it to get your empties to eject in the desired direction.

I suggest you compare your rifle to one that throws brass in the desired direction. I highly suspect that the differences are very subtle.

9 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I was told by another shooter to put two layers of duct tape on the top of the lifter. Works for him. 

External modification? :D

A lot depends on the shooter and the force applied to ejecting brass.  New shooters tend to widely scatter their spent brass.  Our club has one shooter who consistently piles it up in his hat, then dribbles it along the movement path.  Another consistently sends hot brass down her blouse.  Two very smooth shooters commonly end up with all their brass in a 12" pile.   Shooter smoothness and consistency is a key factor, along with mechanical  variation. 

On 7/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I seem to recall when the Miroku '73's came out they showed a little different angle at one place of the carrier that was supposed to aid brass going forward.  It was a "feature".  I guess so brass doesn't get your hat dirty.  I've heard mention of removing the dust cover supposed to help, not sure if that was for Uberti or Miroku.  Worth a try.

my Miroku 73 in 45 colt throws them forward and right. removing the dust cover did not help it. Forget who told me that but I tried lol

Archived