SASS Wire Forum

Uberti rifle sleeve kit

Deadshot Dan

Iv'e been thinkin about installing one of the aluminum sleeve kit's in my .357 rifle's mag tube.  Before i make the purchase i was wondering if anyone of you with experience with them had any feedback for me on the worth of the upgrade.  Did ya notice any difference and enough that it was worth the coin.  Thank's in advance for any help.

Truthfully, I have one with the kit and one without and I can"t tell any difference.  Put one in because the one rifle had a rust problem.     GW

I installed one in one of my rifles,  it might have made the loading a bit smoother but I don't notice anything different in shooting.  There was not a problem that I was trying to fix.  If you are having a feeding or cycling problem it might be worth a try.

Blackfoot

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Put one in because the one rifle had a rust problem.     GW

3 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Iv'e been thinkin about installing one of the aluminum sleeve kit's in my .357 rifle's mag tube.  Before i make the purchase i was wondering if anyone of you with experience with them had any feedback for me on the worth of the upgrade.  Did ya notice any difference and enough that it was worth the coin.  Thank's in advance for any help.

Like GW, I put the first one in due to a badly rusted tube on a used rifle I bought. I have since added them to all my rifles. I feel like they run a little smoother but can't swear to it. I've wasted more money on things that absolutely didn't work. To me it was worth it just because I think it helps.  I will say for sure they are great if you hva a severely rusted mag tube.

Randy

I have a sleeve in all our 73's.  Most are the aluminum ones (Jimmy Spur & Lefty Wheeler versions), but have used the "fiber" ones (Slick Magic) also.  As other have mentioned, I can not say I realized a great improvement in shooting however, the theory (bring magazine size down to fit 38/357 makes sense) for use makes me feel like they are a good item and couple that with less worry of rust to clean in magazine tube.  These like many  device/gadgets gives me some peace-of-mind so  I feel they are worth having.  As far as making me shoot faster, doubt it, but perhaps having them has saved a "hiccup" or two due to somewhat smoother feed, and I do not worry with magazine rust as I did before them.   

I  believe the replacement stainless spring and follower are items good to have in a 73.  To my knowledge, most of the sleeve kits come with these items so another reason to feel that the money was well spent.

I have a the carbon fiber sleeve in my rifle, I can’t say it’s helped anything but it does seem a little smoother. 

I do know the aluminum tube has a tendency to corrode back towards the frame of the rifle and cause some feed issues if it’s not looked after fairly regular. 

The miss alinement of the rounds in the mag tube does not affect the feeding of them into the carrier, it's the overall length of the round that has the most affect. If the over-all length is too short your going to have feeding problems when the round enters the carrier, it's especially critical on .357/38 rounds. The sleeve does seem to lessen the problem of corrosion inside the mag tube.

TB

Archived