SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 Field Strip Problems

Irish jack

So I have a 16" .357 Rossi 92 that I picked up very cheap.  For good reason though....the previous owner used it roughly and it has some scratches all over the bluing.  To "clean it up" he coated all the metal surfaces with some sort of black finish.  With a rag, solvent, and elbow grease, I've removed all the black coating but it seems to have acted like Loc-Tite on all the screws.  I'm trying to disassemble the rifle, and am stuck:

I got the buttstock tang screw off no problem.  I got the bolt pin stop screw out, and tapped the bolt pin out.  I tried to pull the lever and locking bolts out of the bottom, but this assembly gets stuck about 3/4 of the way out and won't budge.  The previous owner must have had the same problem because it looks like he tried to remove the lockng bolt stop pin screw and hamfisted it.  The screw is a little buggered and won't budge.  I soaked it with kroil, tapped it with a hammer, heated it, and cursed at it...it's still stuck tight.

So now I can't strip and clean this thing.  Anyone had a similar issue?  The locking bolts feel like they are hanging up on the left (saddle ring) side of the receiver.

5 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Contact Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve) at https//:stevesgunz.com.

If anyone knows Rossis, it's him.

+10

Time to give NKJ a call.

Lumpy, that is exactly the site I was using so I’m certain that I’m doing things in the correct order.  There’s gotta be a pin attached to the lever/block assy that has shifted a bit I’m thinking.  NKJ was kind enough to reply to my questions but can’t diagnose without rifle in hand.

The struggle continues....

JMB loved puzzles..........:lol:

Agree about 'in hand' deal.

Put it back together(no stock)and try my flush idea.

Use WD-40 for lube and blow it out with compressed air.

Let sit over night to 'drain' without the wood.

Good time to clean the mag tube too.

OLG

Okay took a look at mine and here is what you should be able to do.

1. With the hammer at full cock pin the hammer spring in place so that there is no longer any spring tension on the hammer.

2. Remove the hammer pivot pin screw.

3. Remove the lower tang. Note on some rifles these are wedged into place pretty good and it may require a bit of force to remove.

4. Now you can see into the action and possibly see where it is binding.

(If the lower tang fits extremely tight;  with the rifle fully disassembled fit the lower tang to the receiver and observe where it is binding. It could even be binding at the ears that the hammer screw passes through. With a stone or very fine file remove just enough material from the area that is binding so that when in its proper place the fit is snug but not so tight that you need tools to insert or remove the lower tang. Go slow and take your time. Remember it is easy to remove material but very hard to replace it.)

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Here is another video of the Rossi m92 disassembly and reassembly. Rossi m92 dis and re

That video was pretty good you could see almost everything that needed to be done.  Wish he had shown how the ejector spring collar needs to be aligned a little better.

Thanks all.  I've watched all those videos and they all have one thing in common...when the bolt pin is removed from the rifle, the bolt slides back a little bit, and the entire lever and locking lug assembly slides out the bottom.  On mine, it slides down about an inch and stops.  Tomorrow I'll try removing the tang to see if I can get an eye on whats binding.

Archived