SASS Wire Forum

Bisley vaqueroes

Col Del Rio

The grip shape and length is quite a bit different than a hogleg grip.   He should try out one before committing to it.  Duelists/gunfighters are usually the shootists most attracted to their shape.  They don't have as large of a resale market as a standard grip, but can be sold fairly easily.  A little more difficult to find replacement grips and "speed" parts, too.

Good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

A friend wants to buy a set of bisley vaqueroes. Any quirks with these pistols that folks should know about?

I have a fairly large hand and I like them because of the bigger grip.  I prefer Eagle Gunfighter grips on them. Mine are also short-stroked. If you shoot 2-handed make sure they'll work for you, I don't shoot them nearly as well 2-handed.

As GJ said try before you buy, it's all in what fits your hands.

Randy

I have two pairs of them and love them. I shoot duelist style. One pair was prepared by Jimmy Spurs and the other pair by Shotgun Boogie. The Bisley is not for everyone or every style of shooting. Like said, if you shoot two handed you may not like them as well as plow handles.

I shoot 2 handed and like mine. I also have a big ole paw.

Jimmy Spurs. Mine have fairly thick Big Horn Sheep grips 

D66A25A7-8EC6-4F7D-BA58-FF8FF950F827.jpeg

I have a pair of pre-2005 Bisley Vaquero, and a pair of Bisley Single-Six 22LR.
I bought a new set of SASS Vaquero plow handle for my wife.
I much prefer the Bisley over the plow handle.

Cliff Hanger #3720LR

This topic comes up rather frequently.

There is a way to check which might be better for you.

1. find a 1/2" dowel  or some other item, I used a long wooden cooking spoon.
2. Hold it in your strong hand with half the item above and half the item below your fingers.
3. Take your standard shooting stance.
4. Now close your eyes and raise your gun hand up as if you were aiming at a target.
5. Without moving your hands, open your eyes and look to see if the item is vertical or leaning forward at the top.
6. The more vertical the item is, the more a Bisley  will point naturally.
7. the more the item leans forward, the more naturally the P frame grip will point.
8. Standing next to a mirror so you can see your hand will help to see what angle your hand naturally has.

Depending on the angle of your hand has naturally will tell you which grip will work best.

If you have to move your wrist forward or back to get a straight sight alignment, you should try the other grip.

My hunting guns are bisley.  My competition guns are plow handle because I shoot it much faster gf.   A good grip is a necessity with them.  I would not use anything plastic

I have three pair of Bisleys. Fit my hands better than the plow handles.  I shoot two handed.  I like the lower hammer spur that is standard on the Bisley. 

I like my Bisley's. Have been shooting them for years. But I shoot Duelist.

And love them for that or GFer.

But for ME. I do NOT like them shooting two handed. Much prefer regular V's for that.

There are some that do like them two handed.

But most that shoot them. Use them for Duelist or GFer.

Try before you buy.

Archived