SASS Wire Forum

WTB chamber cleaner for 357

I saw somewhere that there is a carbide chamber cleaner for 357 chambers to use after shooting 38 specials. Does anyone have one or know who makes that? The wire brush method takes a long time and we shoot every week, 3 pairs of revolvers. Thanks Pards!

Long Hunter has them as well. I like the tool and have one in 38 & 45. Google will bring up others.

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=320

1 hour ago, Solomon Vaquero said:

I saw somewhere that there is a carbide chamber cleaner for 357 chambers to use after shooting 38 specials. Does anyone have one or know who makes that? The wire brush method takes a long time and we shoot every week, 3 pairs of revolvers. Thanks Pards!

I've been using this for almost 50 yrs now.....

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lead-remover-kit-44-sku516100044-21587-19644.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-516-100-044&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzvH6qvu-4wIVisDACh1kbg-SEAQYASABEgI06PD_BwE

OP-Are you shooting BP?

If NO-you are over clean'n them........

OLG

Thanks, Lumpy Gritz, looks like a great tool. If I cannot find the one I am looking for, I will give it a shot. I usually lightly clean all guns after each match. But in doing that, after a few months, if I try to shoot 357 rounds, I have trouble getting the cartridge all the way into the chamber. We shoot every weekend, weather permitting, and reload with Clean Shot powder and non coated lead 105 grain bullets.

58 minutes ago, Juan Solo said:

If this is for pistols just make one yourself out of a 357 case, just slightly expand the mouth to match the chamber, notch the back to fit a screw driver and stuff 'er in while turning.

This works well. I took it one step further and drilled/tapped a 1/4-20 bolt into the back. Cut off the head and chuck it up in the drill. I also put a small notch in the mouth of the case as a cutter of sorts.

2 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

So how often should you be clean'n them?

I clean mine maybe twice a year. unless I ran real BP.

I just wipe'em down and put'em back in the safe.

Also depends on how much of Mother nature's lapping compound(silt)gets in'em from our 'gentle'(:rolleyes:) Mojave winds.:lol:

OLG

2 hours ago, Solomon Vaquero said:

Thanks, Lumpy Gritz, looks like a great tool. If I cannot find the one I am looking for, I will give it a shot. I usually lightly clean all guns after each match. But in doing that, after a few months, if I try to shoot 357 rounds, I have trouble getting the cartridge all the way into the chamber. We shoot every weekend, weather permitting, and reload with Clean Shot powder and non coated lead 105 grain bullets.

Give coated a try;)

Be sure to use a firm roll crimp......

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I clean mine maybe twice a year. unless I ran real BP.

I just wipe'em down and put'em back in the safe.

Also depends on how much of Mother nature's lapping compound(silt)gets in'em from our 'gentle'(:rolleyes:) Mojave winds.:lol:

OLG

I'll be dog gonned....  I'm running TrailBoss with coated bullets.  Usually clean them every match...  Guess I can slow down the cleaning process a bit.   In that case, one of them thar tools might be helpful.

18 hours ago, Solomon Vaquero said:

... reload with Clean Shot powder and non coated lead 105 grain bullets.

I am using the Desperado uncoated 105gr LRNFP for my wife's Vaqueros.
These are true soft cast, BHN=9
Trail Boss 3.0 grains

3.6gr of Clean Shot puts this bullet right at BHN=9 pressure.
I'm curious about your load, and if you are having any leading problems.

Archived