SASS Wire Forum

front sight hight

Bullett Sass 19707

I bottomed out my rear sight and my marlin 1889 still shoots about 10 inches to high.  This is with the rear sight elevator taken out.   I am shooting about 25 yds.  So I want to get a taller front sight.   So when I measure the front sight is the measurement from the botton of the part that goes in the dovetail?   Thanks Bullett 19707 

Yes, measure from flat bottom of the dovetail "filler" section of the sight to the top of the sight.   Many factory cowboy rifle sights are 0.410" high measured like that.   As a confirmation, you will need a taller front sight than what you have now.  

If you have about 18 inches between rear and front sights, the amount to raise the front sight to get on target (at 25 yards) 10" lower than now would be about 0.200" taller than what you have, which may be a REAL tall front sight.  

I'd take a good look at the rear sight and see if it appears to be close to original height.   Someone may have substituted too tall a REAR sight at some point in the rifle's lifetime, and it will make the rifle look kinda odd if you put on a tall enough front sight.   Filing down some of the rear sight blade may make some sense in this case, or replacing with a better fitting rear sight.

Or, perhaps someone filled down the front sight and it's much shorter than normal.   In that case, raising the height of front sight higher with a replacement sight will look pretty normal.

Being off 10" at 25 yards is a pretty big sight error, and deserves to be fixed correctly.

Good luck, GJ

Archived