SASS Wire Forum

Modern Medicine

Yul Lose

I'm in Phoenix at the Banner Good Samaritan medical center where my oldest daughter is recovering from colon cancer surgery. The operation was pretty much all done with robotics. Human hands were never inside just robot arms. Four very small incisions and that's pretty much it. They inflate the abdomen quite a bit and her only pain has been from the trapped air that will dissipate over the next few days. According to the surgeon the radiation and chemo did an excellent job of shrinking the tumor. She'll do one more chemo regimen and then they'll reattach the colon and the surgeon said she should expect a full recovery

That is becoming more and more a thing. How it was done for my gall bladder surgery. Although I will say the gas pains from the trapped air can be excruciating.

I'll keep your daughter, you and your family in my thoughts and meditations.

Yul,

That is wonderful news.

Modern medical procedures at their best - we've come a long way.

Will pray that she is good as new when all is complete.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I'm in Phoenix at the Banner Good Samaritan medical center where my oldest daughter is recovering from colon cancer surgery. The operation was pretty much all done with robotics. Human hands were never inside just robot arms. Four very small incisions and that's pretty much it. They inflate the abdomen quite a bit and her only pain has been from the trapped air that will dissipate over the next few days. According to the surgeon the radiation and chemo did an excellent job of shrinking the tumor. She'll do one more chemo regimen and then they'll reattach the colon and the surgeon said she should expect a full recovery

Amazing and I am so sorry your dealing with this. I hope she does great!

Dear Yul,

I'm so glad to hear that her surgery was so much better than mine. I'll spare the details other than to say I was sick for 5 months.

Oh yes and another thing, better a robot's than a human's hands, say I.

I hope she continues to have a great recovery!

Sincerely,

Allie

Great News and prayers up!

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

That is becoming more and more a thing. How it was done for my gall bladder surgery. Although I will say the gas pains from the trapped air can be excruciating.

I'll keep your daughter, you and your family in my thoughts and meditations.

You are correct about the pain Doc. She told me today that if it weren’t for the pain caused by the trapped air from the procedure she didn’t think she’d have any pain.

23 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You are correct about the pain Doc. She told me today that if it weren’t for the pain caused by the trapped air from the procedure she didn’t think she’d have any pain.

It is a case where I wish I were wrong.

My father had robotic surgery a couple months ago for a kidney cancer.
He said the surgeon told him he would not be beside the table, he'd be sitting back on a computer playing Pac-Man.
(The trapped air explains my father's post-surgery discomfort ... I have zero experience with patient care after such a procedure!)

4 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

My father had robotic surgery a couple months ago for a kidney cancer.
He said the surgeon told him he would not be beside the table, he'd be sitting back on a computer playing Pac-Man.
(The trapped air explains my father's post-surgery discomfort ... I have zero experience with patient care after such a procedure!)

I hope he’s well on his way to recovery.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

I hope he’s well on his way to recovery.

He is, thank you: what looked like a quarter sized leision on CT scan, turned out to be a cluster of four small ones: one was a simple cyst, two were inconclusive (read not ripe but give 'em time) and one was stage one.
Bottom line, they got it all, no chemo, no radiation, go home and have a cold one.

He did.

My prostate cancer was removed in the same manner.

They use the DaVinci surgical robot, 4 tiny entry points and a 5th above the navel to remove the tissue.
They hang you upside down like a bat for just under 4 hours, so your guts slide high in your chest for more working room.
The prostate is highly enervated and vascularized which is why it takes so long for the procedure.
The end result is remaining fully continent and wedding tackle that operates correctly.

There is a 4:1 mechanical reduction in the hand controls.
A 1/4" movement of the hand is a 1/16" movement of the tool inside the body.

I understand they inflate the abdomen with a non-oxygen gas...
I have a theory that oxygenating this internal cavity leads to some of the complications experienced with open-body surgeries in the past.

I was up 8 hours later and told to walk.
5 years later, I am cancer-free, and can pee like a 20-year old.

The current state of cancer treatment is astounding.
Best wishes for your daughter having a full and speedy recover.

Archived