SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA Old vs New - happy Birthday to me!

Warden Callaway

Well I saved up my soda bottle deposit money and my allowance and finally had enough to buy a brand new Colt SAA 45Colt with 5.5 barrel. It came in two days before my birthday of July 4. The next day I got my second generation Colt SAA 45Colt made in 1962 back from Spring Creek Armory in Ten Sleep Wyoming.   Bill had rewelded the hammer notches and fitted it to action. It looked to be an opportune time to make a video of each gun and capture my first shots.  

May as well start off right.  BlackMZ loads and sprinkling rain.  

The old Colt knew what it was doing.  The new Colt is getting better.  Too bad the insides are not as nice as the outside. 

I shot it in a match at Higgensville on the following Saturday.  

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hey-Do you have to get a burn permit for all the candles on your cake? :P

OLG

I tell folks that I was born in 1850 because I was born in a log house with no modern convenience (even electricity).  They brought the doctor to our house in a high wheel farm wagon pulled by mules because the road was just a trail through the woods a mile off the public road (that wasn't that much better).  Doctor charged $20. His name was Dr. Payne.  

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Warden  :D

Ida had better timing but I was on an extended Birthday Mouse Safari for my Sweetheart  :wub:

Nice Birthday present.  Barrel is too long  :rolleyes:

I am happy with the fit and finish of the outside of the new Colt but the insides don't equal the outside. 

Lots of creep to the trigger. 

I used the hammer and trigger screws stuck in the right side of the frame as a fixture to look at the trigger and hammer relationship. The white material is two layers of cardboard to space hammer and trigger away from the frame. The video is shaky because I shot it holding an endoscope in my right hand and moving the hand and trigger with my left. Note the top of the trigger barely enters the halfcock notch and doesn't realy enter the safety notch.

The inside parts only showed a few places where critical fitting was done.  The timing and lockup was ok.

The cut in the frame for the hand looked to be made by EDM.  It had a texture of a cast iron skillet and very hard.  I tried polishing it with fine emery cloth wrapped around a needle file but made no progress.   I then resorted to using my diamond crusted needle file.  It just skated over the surface.   Just installing the hammer and hand, you could hear and feel the hand dragging up and down the slot like a shovel across concrete (an exaggeration).

Endoscopy picture of inside the hand cut after I gave up trying to smooth out the rough texture. 

I have reworked the hammer slots so the top of trigger enters correctly and installed a Wolff reduced power hammer spring. The action feels much better but still has creep.    It's been too hot to see if I can shoot better groups.   I'm pleased that it shoots to point of aim.

Archived