SASS Wire Forum

Which eye ?

Isom Dart, SASS#8096

Two questions.

1. For the double-duelists and the gunfighters; do you bring your weak hand over to your strong eye, or switch eyes to your gun hand ? I've shot D-D, and I always bring my gun over to my strong eye. I tried to do the same side gun same side eye, but it took me to long to recover to shoot. Not that I was that fast anyway. :D I'm right handed.. One side eye ,,, both guns always worked for me.

2. Again for the D-D's and GF's,, can you shoot a long gun  from your weak side ? I know practice is everything , but for me its like tying your shoes with a mirror. 

Just food for thought ,, how say the wire ??

Isom

I use both eyes with pistols as a gunfighter.

I just started shooting GF.  I am right eye dominant.  My misses are usually with my left hand when I don't close my left eye.  I usually have both guns up in my line of sight so there really isn't much switching involved.  Yes, I can shoot long guns left handed. I used to practice it for m job.  I have to close my right eye to make it work.  

Yeah, I'm still trying to answer that question myself!  Gunfighter is killing me with misses, but it's a whole lot more fun!

1. I'm right eye dominant and right handed, and I shoot double duelist keeping my left eye closed.  I've found (by lots of trial and error) the best way for me to shoot with my left hand and (almost) always hit the target is to turn my head slightly to the left as soon as I draw my left gun.  That way my right eye seems to line up just right with the sights on my left gun.

2. There is no way in this world I can shoot my long guns from my weak side.

DD, both eyes open.  Never gave thought about where pistol was but now that you mention it, seems always close to straight out from center of chest. whether left or right gun.  I think if you try leaving both eyes open, IMO, your guns "will find correct position" for proper sight alignment....make sense? 

7 hours ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Two questions.

1. For the double-duelists and the gunfighters; do you bring your weak hand over to your strong eye, or switch eyes to your gun hand ? I've shot D-D, and I always bring my gun over to my strong eye. I tried to do the same side gun same side eye, but it took me to long to recover to shoot. Not that I was that fast anyway. :D I'm right handed.. One side eye ,,, both guns always worked for me.

2. Again for the D-D's and GF's,, can you shoot a long gun  from your weak side ? I know practice is everything , but for me its like tying your shoes with a mirror. 

Just food for thought ,, how say the wire ??

Isom

Isom, I shoot Double Duelist style and shoot with both eyes open. I hold my pistols near the center of my body and my dominate eye just takes over.

2. I cannot shoot my long guns from my weak side. I would need lots and lots of practice to even be able to do it poorly.

Randy

I shoot double duelist. I keep both eyes open and on the target. When whichever pistol I'm shooting comes in front of the target it looks like there are two ghosts of them. It doesn't matter which one you aim down, either will be a hit. Two eyes open equals faster target acquisition and better peripheral vision to get next gun into play or draw shells, etc. Far better in my opinion to start out with both eyes open and wean yourself off the misses than to try and get to where you can open both eyes later to gain speed.

Let me know what works for you, I'd be interested in knowing.

I've tried the both eyes open thing, but once I start shooting my weak hand will drift over to my strong eye (right) . So I just say the heck with it,,. right eye for everything.

Isom

Watch Michael Jordan in his prime.  Do you think he is thinking about which eye to use, where to plant his foot, when to pivot....do you think he us focusing on anything except getting to the basket?  He would tie himself in knots if he thought about those other things.  Watch Missouri Lefty’s world record gunfighter run.  Do you think he’s thinking about which eye to use as he shoots?  They are both letting their bodies do what has been learned in previous play and practice.  Burn a bunch of ammo as fast as you can until you are hitting all the targets, then speed up some more.  Your brain will sort things out.

Jordan:

Missouri Lefty:

But I bet both could tell you EXACTLY what's happening even at the lightning speed they run.

I'm not fast and I don't worry about what's happening but I do know I'm right-handed and left eye dominant and keep both eyes open, shoot long guns left-handed and it all just happens. I used to watch fast shooters and think their guns just jumped back in the holsters. After doing this for a while now... mine jump too. Cool

On 7/16/2019 at 2:04 PM, Yul Lose said:

I use both eyes with pistols as a gunfighter.

Left handed, left eye dominant. Can’t shoot long guns right handed, but shoot them left eyed with both eyes open.

Article on Eye Dominance in this month's (July 2019) Cowboy Chronicle, p32

RR

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

I shoot both pistols with both eyes open with no problem.  But when I shoot long guns, I have to at least squint the weak side eye.

+1

Archived